MLB: Hey Cub fan... question for you

Wallruss64

Feb 5, 2009
Monticello, IA
I'm just mad that I can't take all of my agression out on Dempster and call him dumpster. He kind of proved last year that he can be a quality pitcher and I think it will stay that way this year.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I'm fine with Gregg. People need to give him more than 3 outings before they jump down his throat. Give him time, he looked good yesterday.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
marmol should have had the job at the beginning of the season, and he'll have it soon.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
For all of you who are calling for Marmol to be closer, he's actually way more valuable for us in the situations he's pitching now. Think about it... anytime the cubs are up 0-3 runs in the middle of a later inning with men on in scoring position, who would you rather want coming in to fix the situation... Marmol or Gregg? Marmol. This way you get it to the 9th inning where the closer comes in with nobody on base and a fresh slate where there's less pressure right off the bat and he can make a mistake or two and get away with it with the save. The closer position is the most overrated position in baseball because these guys are getting credit for a low-stress job compared the the setup role where the pitcher doesnt get any statline credit for getting out of a 1 out jam with men in scoring position. If you're not happy with Gregg in the closer role, you put someone besides Marmol in. You just make sure you pay Marmol like he's the best pitcher on the cubs staff so he doesn't get discouraged that he's not getting that statline.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
For all of you who are calling for Marmol to be closer, he's actually way more valuable for us in the situations he's pitching now. Think about it... anytime the cubs are up 0-3 runs in the middle of a later inning with men on in scoring position, who would you rather want coming in to fix the situation... Marmol or Gregg? Marmol. This way you get it to the 9th inning where the closer comes in with nobody on base and a fresh slate where there's less pressure right off the bat and he can make a mistake or two and get away with it with the save. The closer position is the most overrated position in baseball because these guys are getting credit for a low-stress job compared the the setup role where the pitcher doesnt get any statline credit for getting out of a 1 out jam with men in scoring position. If you're not happy with Gregg in the closer role, you put someone besides Marmol in. You just make sure you pay Marmol like he's the best pitcher on the cubs staff so he doesn't get discouraged that he's not getting that statline.

Couldn't have said it better.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
The closer position is the most overrated position in baseball

There was a very well-written article on "closers" and the "save" shortly after Jerome Holtzman passed away, basically making the case for your above-noted quote. I couldn't agree with you more but it hasn't always been this way. Bruce Sutter regularly pitched two or three innings for his "save"...

Note: Jerome Holtzman was a Chicago Sun-Times sportswriter generally credited with bringing the "save" into being as a regular statistic...