HELP!! Choosing a Major

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
Hi all i am currently a junior in high school and have a 3.2 gpa and 29 act
i need help choosing between A.B.E., Aero E, and ag genetics help is requested thank you!

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Go ChE... just joking, Aero is a LOT of math...and I say that while I take courses that regularly use diff eq. Ag genetics is a lot of biology, ABE more of a mix of everything. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

cc4td28

Apr 16, 2006
Warren, OH
I graduated in ME and am now in medical school. I also have family members in engineering. I would say, and all of them also told me, to not go into AeroE. Just not much out there for jobs and pay isn't that great. I liked ME because it gives you a ton of options. However, if I would have gone to grad school in engineering I would have chosen Civil because I ended up liking my classes in that area.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Finance hahaha

If you like all three try to decide which one will have the best long term availability or one with the biggest $$$.

Last edited:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I graduated in ME and am now in medical school. I also have family members in engineering. I would say, and all of them also told me, to not go into AeroE. Just not much out there for jobs and pay isn't that great. I liked ME because it gives you a ton of options. However, if I would have gone to grad school in engineering I would have chosen Civil because I ended up liking my classes in that area.

Semi related question...any idea how grad school is for ME, or how hard it is to switch to another type of engineering for grad school?

Reactions: joefrog

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I know, just want input. I really like all three fields.

Anything in a science field will serve you well. I recommend to anyone starting college to get an engineering degree, and then pick another subject they really like, and get either a double degree or a minor in this other area. Make sure and look at college as a job, it will be the easiest and most enjoyable one you will ever have. Also, set aside time to study, and find a place where you can focus on studying. Some people like stuff going on around them, they may enjoy the union. Others like quiet. There are so many great places in Parks library that work for this.

If you have narrowed it down to a couple specific majors, I recommend taking a visit to ISU and speaking to some people in those departments, students and professors. Sit in on a lecture if somebody will let you. This should give you a great idea about what you want to pursue in college.

If you are smart enough to get into the honors program at ISU, do it. I passed on that opportunity and I still regret it. Very stupid on my part. Learn from my mistake.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
i've already been on 2 visits the just for juiniors this summer and the aa's legacy migration in october

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
prof. brumm is one of the reason i am looking at abe nice guy interesting area of study and went to high school with my dad and aunt

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
I think the person in the thread who said take your time was dead on.. What is it YOU like? For all the potential fields you mentioned, you will need a basic background, at least, of science, math, english/communications. If you keep an open mind, you can learn a lot once you get here. Most if not all high school folks like you really dont know or really have a need to know the specifics of some of the disciplines. Ag genetics is cool but damned narrow. Know that with most any biological field, you will need to apply genetics, so dont limit yourself. As for the engineering fields, they are important, but many learn that they arent exactly their cup of tea for a variety of reasons. Actually, that goes for any prospective major. But.. the key is, get a good base in preparations, and you will have the ability to tailor your education as needed as you go, hopefully in the first couple of years.

Thanks..

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Well, I'm basically Ag Genetics (Plant Breeding/Agronomy) and it really, well... sucks. The genetics classes are not fun (or easy) and the professors are bad. I really enjoy the production side of agriculture, which is VERY different from the genetics/research side. The plant side of genetics I would not suggest. The animal side I really can't speak for.

It really depends on what you enjoy.

Edit: I'll also add that genetics is such a freaking crap shoot. 95% of the time it is pure luck. You might think you understand a process and then there is one anomaly that messes everything up. Plus instead of studying a diverse set of organisms you end up with two, Fruit Flies and this one ****** weed. Why? Because everything else is too complicated genetically to figure it out.:no:

Last edited:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Definately take your time. Be in NO hurry to grow up, get a job, a career, a wife, a mortgage, a wife :wink:.....

And in all seriousness....don't worry about the money. In the long run doing something you love for less money will always trump doing something you don't like for more money.

Reactions: CyGuy33