Hell of a season

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I said a couple weeks ago: Raise a glass and thank the ISU men's and women's teams for amazing seasons. They were so fun to watch and they far exceeded our expectations. Cheers for a great season and memories we will cherish forever
download.png

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
If you look at the average lead/deficit score on Torvick we were -6.4, that was the second worst deficit of the entire season, and was actually worse than the Kansas State and BYU debacle.

The only one worse where we were controlled from start to finish was the Houston game which was -7.1.

The number is what it is, but I also think it's a bit deceptive. After our run to start the second half I don't think they ever had a double-digit lead again.

Reactions: aauummm and ClubCy

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
The number is what it is, but I also think it's a bit deceptive. After our run to start the second half I don't think they ever had a double-digit lead again.
Also how about we throw the numbers out for a second and just look at a game for what it was and felt like. "Never in it" is the most asinine way to describe last night that I can possibly imagine. I was pulling my hair out with how close we were to taking the lead that entire second half and you don't do that while watching a game that your team is not competitive in.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I forgot to mention the other game that was probably one of the hardest for me to get over: The Cameron Dollar game. Older Cyclone fans know what I am talking about.

That was a toughie.

What made it even harder to swallow (at least for me), ISU got up by like 16 early in the second half, looked like we might cruise (or at least sustain), but UCLA climbed back and it became a down-to-wire.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Great year and really squeezed about as much out of this team as he could. Pretty damn impressive job by TJ and the staff and the players.

Reactions: aauummm

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
If you look at the average lead/deficit score on Torvick we were -6.4, that was the second worst deficit of the entire season, and was actually worse than the Kansas State and BYU debacle.

The only one worse where we were controlled from start to finish was the Houston game which was -7.1.
Did it feel like we were “in it” when Keshon had a layup down 53-51 with 9 minutes left, because it felt like we were in it to me.

Sometimes **** happens and you lose but to say we were never in it is crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: Jdk and HFCS

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Did it feel like we were “in it” when Keshon had a layup down 53-51 with 9 minutes left, because it felt like we were in it to me.

Sometimes **** happens and you lose but to say we were never in it is crazy.
To bad the ball didn't go in it :(

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
It was a GREAT season result wise and fun to watch as a fan. 2nd in the Regular Season, Won the Big XII Tournament and made the Sweet 16. In the Modern Era (Orr to Present), only the 1999-2000 season was better in all three components combined. Hats off to TJ, his staff and the Team. Let's Go State! Onward and Upward!

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
A "Pretty good" season for a bunch of dudes picked to finish mid-pack in the Big 12. This was one of the most memorable seasons I can think back on. These dudes bought in and put it on the line every night. Man, let next season come quick. GO CLONES!!!

Reactions: aauummm and Jer

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
What a season. I already miss watching this team playing. Waiting 7 months to watch another cyclones basketball game will be tough.

Reactions: HoopsTournament

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It was a GREAT season result wise and fun to watch as a fan. 2nd in the Regular Season, Won the Big XII Tournament and made the Sweet 16. In the Modern Era (Orr to Present), only the 1999-2000 season was better in all three components combined. Hats off to TJ, his staff and the Team. Let's Go State! Onward and Upward!

Feels like second best team to me and I've been fully on board since '96 and aware of ISU basketball since around '90.

Even if a team makes the Final Four there might still be room to debate the 2000 team because everyone knows it was a top 4 team in that tournament pretty objectively.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When does the new schedule come out? Hope we have some better non-conference games.

What tournament are we in?

Our net SOS was 16 this year...out of 362 teams yet some crybabies made it a national story about how "easy" it was. "Tough" schedule UNC was 32 of 362.

With an actual solid non conf we'll probably be top 10 next year so it will be interesting to see if it's still a controversy. Does a team need to have the #1 SOS to not get criticized for a schedule?

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

A Cub fan and an Iowa fan (we know you claim to be an ISU fan) can’t be taken that serious.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
A Cub fan and an Iowa fan (we know you claim to be an ISU fan) can’t be taken that serious.
Haven't been to an Iowa game since 2015. I went to Manhattan and Omaha just in the last month to see Iowa State and spent over $600 dollars to see 3 games......but yeah definitely not an ISU fan.

• Winner

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
When does the new schedule come out? Hope we have some better non-conference games.
For 2023-24, it was announced June 22, so I'd expect something close to that.

Also, if iirc, Big 12 is going to 20 games next season, so with 3-Maui, Iowa, and BE-B12, that leaves only 6 "cupcake" slots, instead of 8. Unless there's motivation to "schedule harder" in the wake of the seeding decision from this year's selection. I'm not holding my breath, especially considering how loaded Maui field is.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron