Hell of a season

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Not sure I really agree with this. Yes, the team looked off-balance most of the game, and really didn’t ever have an answer for Shannon - but three times in the final 9 minutes they had the chance to tie the game with an easy layup and couldn‘t make it fall. I’d say the opportunity to tie the score like that multiple times late in the game means you’re still “in” the game, even if you weren’t playing well. Once you’re tied all sorts of things can happen, for either team.
Yeah, technically we were pretty close, but to me it was no different than most of our losses..Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, K-State.....we didn't play terrible but we were constantly down in the 6-10 point range and just could never get over the hump.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It was an amazing season! All season long I kept thinking that this team just didn’t look like a good team. But they were continually great. One of the most fun seasons I can remember.

And last nights loss is what it is. But it’s ok to be disappointed. For weeks, I’ve listened to the podcasts telling me this could be a final 4 team. CW said this week he was less scared of Illinois than Washington State. So to lose is disappointing.

We’ve been very lucky the last 10 years to have 4 Sweet 16s. That shows how great our program is no matter who is coaching. And we are so lucky that we now have a coach that has gotten us to 2!

But I’d love to luck into an elite 8 or final 4 at some point!

Reactions: Cloned4Life

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
ISU's offense wasn't even that bad on the season though. Not a burner but certainly reliable. Last night...just tight everywhere.

Underwood said they at one point had a Top 10 defense (not sure of the time frame) and got away from it.

With their size and length they can certainly play it and to add they were a bad matchip for ISU's smaller guards.
The offense was serviceable and certainly better than Tjs first two teams, but if this program has Final 4 and national title aspirations it needs to be better on offense.

If you look at the Top 15 or so teams on Torvick our offensive rating sticks out like a sore thumb. It's the same reason Alabama and Illinois won't win a championship this year, their defense isn't good enough .

We need to keep our Elite D and somehow get into that 15-20 range on offense to truly have a chance.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
This is the main reason we're so easy to defend. Opposing teams take there center and pack the lane full when we do the top of the key screens and dribble handoffs.
Off the bits I've seen and from his FT%, my hope is that Jackson can at least force the opposing center out of the lane on the handoff action. IF he can draw them out by either hitting a 15 footer or being able to dribble drive into a 6 footer, Tamin and Keshon should have more room to work with.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Let's be honest. Talent wise, we overachieved this year. Assuming there are no major departures in the off-season, we should be preseason top 10 next year.

Let's have fun in the portal. Already got a good 5

NYCBFan

Mar 18, 2024
If you look at expectations going into the season which was near the bottom of the Big 12.... finishing 2nd in the Big 12 in a MUCH improved Big 12, winning the Big 12 tournament by smashing the #1 team then a Sweet 16 close loss to a good Illinois team is a smashing success.

Did this team overachieve or is this a sign of things to come? That's TBD and I lean towards the latter because of the culture being built here but there's no doubt that this season was a huge success regardless of the pain of the loss last night. The boys did the university proud.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
It's not just TJ, this is the 4th time since 2000 we've made it this far then looked like a deer in headlights.

We were never really in this game at all, but at least it looked better than Hoiberg, Prohm, and Tjs first team who all got completely embarrassed.
What? We missed a wide open layup to tie the game with less than 7 to go. Then we stayed within 5 points the rest of the way. It was a very competitive game.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
We underperformed our seeding for the 2nd year in a row after overachieving in the first year.

A trend has now developed where we get to play a bad defense in the tournament then have no answer for their bad defense. Miami, Pitt, and Illinois were both good scoring teams with dog*** defenses and we struggled to score.

We won't take the next step and have a chance at a national title until we get a better offense.
I do agree with you here. But our offense was much better this year than the last two years. I’m seeing improvement which is encouraging

Reactions: madguy30

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
ISU definitely exceeded expectations. 3 new starters, new bench players.... and they place 2nd in the Big 12 and a sweet 16 berth. Amazing. TJ is the man! Hat's off to the players for giving it their all.... we love you!

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
It's not just TJ, this is the 4th time since 2000 we've made it this far then looked like a deer in headlights.

We were never really in this game at all, but at least it looked better than Hoiberg, Prohm, and Tjs first team who all got completely embarrassed.
FFS, we lost by 3 points. We were on the verge of getting blown out in the first half but clawed our way back to make it a game, just couldn't get over the hump.

But we were in the game! C'mon, stop your silly!

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Illinois got off to the best start they could imagine... and held on for dear life. If ISU played them 10 times, I like their chances to win 7 of of 10. Just wasn't our night last night.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
This loss stings right now. But I think looking back, this one will probably hurt less than many others. UAB was my personal worst, Hampton, Ohio State the original (**** Aaron Kraft), Michigan State all hurt worse. Actually last years Pitt game will hurt worse in retrospect because it was so embarrassing.

This one stings a little less for me too knowing we would have run into that bulldozer UConn the following round had we won.

cyanide

Apr 21, 2006
Mens and womens basketball, wrestling, a young and rising football team. Is there a better Athletic department in the country.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It was a great season and as for next season, there are two things that give me total confidence:

A) The culture is totally built. At this point, you don't come to Iowa State unless you are willing to work and willing to play defense.

B) TJ has proven to be completely adaptable. The Athletic article mentioned him realizing early on they had to find a uniqueness to compete, and he's done that with how we play defense. But now that the foundation is built, I have no doubt he knows what he needs this offseason. And it would appear he's taken measures to address it already.

We just have to have more offensive firepower in our front court. Having 3 bigs that aren't threats in the pick-and-pop, but also aren't threats with their back to the basket kills us. Solid players who did great things for us. But we need more out of that 4/5 position offensively.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
FFS, we lost by 3 points. We were on the verge of getting blown out in the first half but clawed our way back to make it a game, just couldn't get over the hump.

But we were in the game! C'mon, stop your silly!
If you look at the average lead/deficit score on Torvick we were -6.4, that was the second worst deficit of the entire season, and was actually worse than the Kansas State and BYU debacle.

The only one worse where we were controlled from start to finish was the Houston game which was -7.1.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This loss stings right now. But I think looking back, this one will probably hurt less than many others. UAB was my personal worst, Hampton, Ohio State the original (**** Aaron Kraft), Michigan State all hurt worse. Actually last years Pitt game will hurt worse in retrospect because it was so embarrassing.

This one stings a little less for me too knowing we would have run into that bulldozer UConn the following round had we won.

This is honestly where I'm at as well. We should have a great team coming back this year, and I'm not sure we have the firepower to contend with UCONN anyway. Both of those things lessen the blow a bit.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It was a great season and as for next season, there are two things that give me total confidence:

A) The culture is totally built. At this point, you don't come to Iowa State unless you are willing to work and willing to play defense.

B) TJ has proven to be completely adaptable. The Athletic article mentioned him realizing early on they had to find a uniqueness to compete, and he's done that with how we play defense. But now that the foundation is built, I have no doubt he knows what he needs this offseason. And it would appear he's taken measures to address it already.

We just have to have more offensive firepower in our front court. Having 3 bigs that aren't threats in the pick-and-pop, but also aren't threats with their back to the basket kills us. Solid players who did great things for us. But we need more out of that 4/5 position offensively.

I don’t know if people just take this for granted or forget; TJ is one of the best recruiters in the country and imo the best in the Midwest. There will be times when teams don’t mesh and underachieve of course and injury plagued seasons, but he’s always going to get guys. Thats where it all starts.

Reactions: madguy30