Hayden Pauls commits

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Because players like Purdy, Jones, Montgomery, Bailey, and others need to play right now because they are ready to go and are needed.

And guys like Nwangwu would be at the mercy of the NCAA when they suffer a major injury.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not sure how much we were competing with each one, but the list of Iowan OL commits to Iowa who had both ISU and Iowa offers back to 2016: Wirfs, Fenske, Endres, Miller, Kallenberger. They have a 2020 commit from Volk. There may be more out-of-state guys, but, meh...I'll leave that to someone else.

Iowa has pretty much got every linemen they wanted in state for the last 2 decades. Not that ISU is floundering at OL recruiting, but in the past few years most of the OL has come from other states. Again, not sure that is all bad, but ISU definitely wanted all of those guys.

Pauls looks like a great get for the team, and there are certainly some guys from last year's class that appear to be pushing for time. The most concerning thing to me is that the 2016-17 classes of OL don't seem to be pressing for playing time, and that a couple of them have already left ISU, if I am not mistaken.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Iowa has pretty much got every linemen they wanted in state for the last 2 decades. Not that ISU is floundering at OL recruiting, but in the past few years most of the OL has come from other states. Again, not sure that is all bad, but ISU definitely wanted all of those guys.

Pauls looks like a great get for the team, and there are certainly some guys from last year's class that appear to be pushing for time. The most concerning thing to me is that the 2016-17 classes of OL don't seem to be pressing for playing time, and that a couple of them have already left ISU, if I am not mistaken.
Huh. Let’s see.

A. All five current starters are from Iowa.

B. Of the ‘16 class, two were Jucos, one didn’t make it to Ames, and while Mueller left after he was beat out, both he and Foster started (or earned starting spots), IIRC.

C. In the ‘17 class, Bolton did indeed leave the team, but both Knipfel and Newell are starting, so not sure what you’re talking about. Matter of fact, Hudson was the ‘18 Offensive Scout Team POY, and both he and Kleinow (like Knipfel and Newell, also from Iowa) are both fighting for second spots. The only player I’m not hearing anything about is Nogaj.

D. Two of the three ‘18 OL signees are from Iowa.

Not sure where you’re getting your info from.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Huh. Let’s see.

A. All five current starters are from Iowa.

B. Of the ‘16 class, two were Jucos, one didn’t make it to Ames, and while Mueller left after he was beat out, both he and Foster started (or earned starting spots), IIRC.

C. In the ‘17 class, Bolton did indeed leave the team, but both Knipfel and Newell are starting, so not sure what you’re talking about. Matter of fact, Hudson was the ‘18 Offensive Scout Team POY, and both he and Kleinow (like Knipfel and Newell, also from Iowa) are both fighting for second spots. The only player I’m not hearing anything about is Nogaj.

D. Two of the three ‘18 OL signees are from Iowa.

Not sure where you’re getting your info from.

So two guys left the team from the 16-17 class like I said. Yes, all of the starters are Iowans, but how many of them were offered by Iowa? Certainly not all of them.

We have heard a lot about Hudson, but he still wasn't in the two deep last year as far as I know, so still not ready to call him the answer for 2020, when ISU will need to replace a lot of starters.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
So two guys left the team from the 16-17 class like I said. Yes, all of the starters are Iowans, but how many of them were offered by Iowa? Certainly not all of them.

We have heard a lot about Hudson, but he still wasn't in the two deep last year as far as I know, so still not ready to call him the answer for 2020, when ISU will need to replace a lot of starters.

My hypothesis was that our best local linemen have had Iowa offers. Campbell has gotten a lot of recruits that have held Iowa offers.

Here's what I found
Bryce Meeker No
JGJ No
Knipfel (JUCO, No)
Olsen Walk-on
Newell Yes
Downing Yes
Foster No
Miller No
Pauls Yes

I'm sure I left some obvious ones out, but that's a good start. Pretty inconclusive either way IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My hypothesis was that our best local linemen have had Iowa offers. Campbell has gotten a lot of recruits that have held Iowa offers.

Here's what I found
Bryce Meeker No
JGJ No
Knipfel (JUCO, No)
Olsen Walk-on
Newell Yes
Downing Yes
Foster No
Miller No
Pauls Yes

I'm sure I left some obvious ones out, but that's a good start. Pretty inconclusive either way IMO.

CPR is definitely making KF work a lot harder than he used to.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Two decades is a bit of an over statement... but get the point. By the end of the Mac era, we were doing pretty well... 2003 we really dominated the state recruiting (we were also coming off 5 wins in a row against toe). To the end Mac had good in-state classes. But, for the most part, since Mac left we have struggled. There have been a few years we have done well but those have been exceptions.

I think Trevor Downing is probably the most impressive get during the CMC era. CPR had a several good ones, Allen Lazard (our loan in-state recruit in 2014), and Julian Good-Jones are a couple examples. I really think once CMC starts to have a bit more success against toe on the field, the in-state recruiting will follow. We are already getting the best recruiting rankings ever. If you start consistently getting the top in-state guys, as well as highly regarded guys from neighboring states (Ill, Min, Kan, etc.), look out...

• Winner
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Hudson is going to be the feel-good story of the year if he can get on the field regularly.

Reactions: Aclone and bozclone

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Please feel free to contain Hawk obsessions to the In State Rivals forums. No reason to pollute this thread.
Feel free to express your disdain for any greasy tavern hoks whenever the mood strikes. It's always welcome and refreshing.

Reactions: Clonefan93

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

Here's what I found
Bryce Meeker No
JGJ No
Knipfel (JUCO, No)
Olsen Walk-on
Newell Yes
Downing Yes
Foster No
Miller No
Pauls Yes

Foster? He was an Iowa Kid?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron