Hats off to the defense...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
On a night where they got no help from the offense and guy "men" in stripes seemed to have Husker red thongs on...the defense stepped it up in the 2nd half and kept us in the game until the middle of the 4th quarter.

Granted, the Husker offense was very vanilla in the 2nd half, but the defense only allowed 2 first downs until the garbage TD drive. Virtually pitching a shutout in the 2nd half...only allowing 6 points to UNI in the 2nd half the prior week and 7 to the Longhorns the week before...this defense is getting better.

Just need to start out better.

And...please...someone...tell the offense to score some damn points!

brutodd

Apr 11, 2006
KS -> Albuquerque->KS
Agreed; for such a young offense, and one missing a starting LB in Carper, I felt that we held our own. I think that McK and Mr. Bowen have the desire to lead a D, just maybe they haven't found it yet or dont' know how to fully institutue it yet. A leader in much the way TB was shown during halftime is what I feel this team needs. Sure, the coach is the "designated leader" but there has , HAS to be a leader on both sides of the ball. I still am perplexed why we waited until the second half to throw the ball to Blythe, and why we don't run those ten and outs all game until they press coverage us, but hey, I'm just an armchair qb :)

I too, as others have noted, the difference in play between Blythe, Meyer, and just general team chemistry. We went from a great fantastic D last year to one of the bottom feeders this year, but in my ever-optimistic hope, there is only one way to go, right?

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Indeed, hats off to your defense. I was impressed with them in the 2nd half, they played their butts off and didn't break as I was expecting them too.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I have to say that as much as I dislike the Huskers, their fans are good sports and show a lot of class. I did like what I saw out of Blythe. I'm hoping he has finally decided to take the vocal leadership of this team on his shoulders. He has to be a guy that the other guys listen to.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
I disagree on the defense. Yes we held them in check in the second half, but I think that was there decision to run not throw. They could have thrown on us. He only had four incomplete passes in the entire game. We gave up 2 100 yard rushers in the same game. The defense played well enough for the offense to make a comeback, which is progress, but we still have a long way to go.

clonestotop

Aug 7, 2006
I disagree on the defense. Yes we held them in check in the second half, but I think that was there decision to run not throw. They could have thrown on us. He only had four incomplete passes in the entire game. We gave up 2 100 yard rushers in the same game. The defense played well enough for the offense to make a comeback, which is progress, but we still have a long way to go.

Agreed. They could have scored 50 if they needed to. Taylor only threw 21 passes. Callahan is a lot like Mac. He pulled the reigns back and gave us every oppurtunity to come back. We just didnt. Defense wasn't that great again