Happy Days Are Here Again...Except for that elephant in the room....

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
New Plan - add Memphis and Cincinnati to the conference:

Big 12 North:
ISU, KU, KSU, WVU, CINCI, Memphis

Big 12 South:
UT, BU, OU, OSU, TT, TCU

It'd also be arguably the best basketball conference in the nation.

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
Was it the schedule this year that lost winnable games against Iowa, Toledo and KSU?

Thanks for 'Popping' in quick observation, see you again next year.

This could have been an exceptional year...no doubt. You must've missed the "YEAR OVER YEAR OVER THE LONGHAUL" part.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
It ain't that tough a schedule. Find something new to cry about.

No it is actually. And it is the biggest obstacle for us in gaining a foothold and momentum. You can deny this or gloss over it but it's a big deal. It's a tough basketball league too, except we are good at basketball. Can we get good enough? Sure but it is hard being the only big 12 school in big 10 country.

Spam

May 21, 2008
New Plan - add Memphis and Cincinnati to the conference:

Big 12 North:
ISU, KU, KSU, WVU, CINCI, Memphis

Big 12 South:
UT, BU, OU, OSU, TT, TCU

It'd also be arguably the best basketball conference in the nation.

It's already arguably the best basketball conference in the nation.

FB wise, once we start consistently winning games easier than Memphis and Cincy, then we think about how Memphis and Cincy might help us avoid some of those tougher South teams.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No it is actually. And it is the biggest obstacle for us in gaining a foothold and momentum. You can deny this or gloss over it but it's a big deal. It's a tough basketball league too, except we are good at basketball. Can we get good enough? Sure but it is hard being the only big 12 school in big 10 country.

No, it really isn't. Our biggest obstacle was poor decision making from the coaching staff, and that just cleared out.

We blame the games against the southern schools while ignoring that we failed against the northern ones as well. Poor decisions cost games against one northern and one southern school, plus one non-con game. That's not even thinking anything about the Iowa game.

The schedule wasn't the problem. We have been the problem. That's something we can fix, and then the schedule isn't an excuse anymore.

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
Sure Erik...

Second toughest P5 coaching job.....sure - it ain't the schedule or recruiting or geography etc....
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...weekly-five-toughest-power-five-coaching-jobs

Nothing to see here folks....New guy coming in will change everything - I heard this 7 years ago. Like I said I'll keep buying tickets, tailgating, and hoping for the best. I'm just a realist now.

Like I said - it could've been a one of the few EXCEPTIONS of a year this year but over the longhaul in this conference set up we lose badly.

Last edited:

Spam

May 21, 2008
Sure Erik...

Second toughest P5 coaching job.....sure - it ain't the schedule or recruiting or geography etc....
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...weekly-five-toughest-power-five-coaching-jobs

Nothing to see here folks....New guy coming in will change everything - I heard this 7 years ago. Like I said I'll keep buying tickets, tailgating, and hoping for the best. I'm just a realist now.

Like I said - it could've been a one of the few EXCEPTIONS of a year but over the longhaul in this conference set up we lose badly.

What's the point of trying to replace OU with Cincy on our schedule when we've been losing to teams like Toledo, UNI, NDSU, KU over the last few years.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
It's B12 football, it's not the BIG. It's man's game. You can deal with it, adapt and overcome or cry and use it as an excuse.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Sure, expanding the conference, getting four non con games will ultimately make our schedule easier, but it's not going to happen. These threads made sense 4 years ago when we were going through all the **** with realignment, but not now.

That said, I still believe we can be better than we have been, win more games with this change.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

The schedule is not what is holding us back right now. Poor coaching held us back this season. There were 6 games in which we had a lead in at some point and lost. Of those 6 games, Iowa (at home) was tied with 2:15 left, Toledo should of never gone to OT, we had the lead against OSU (at home) with 3:30 left, and we had no business losing to KSU.

Now if ISU can get to 6-8 wins each season, and not be able to go any higher, then we can talk about how the schedule is holding us back. Right now, we cant.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Every other team in the conference plays this schedule as well, and you dont see them ******** about it everyday.

Not true...everyone else has gotten to play Iowa State the last few years. Replace one Big12 team on our schedule with a cupcake and it gets a little easier.

semi:jimlad:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Don't expand the Big 12. Let's just drop out to get the easiest schedule possible. Why even try to compete in the Big 12 or even give the new coach a bit of a honeymoon?!?

ISU to the Sun Belt!

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
People and the media complaining about ISU not being able to succeed in the modern Big 12 are down right wrong.

This year we were 1 play away in 4 games from being 7-5 THIS YEAR.
-Any number of boneheaded plays in Iowa (Iowa not getting that fumble touchdown, Richardson not throwing pick at end, etc)
-Field goal at end of Toledo
-Any number of plays in OSU
-You all know KState

2014 we were 1 play away in 3 games from being 5-7
-The BS phantom interception against K State
-all we needed was one defensive play against Texas
-End of the Texas Tech Game

2013 We were 1 play away in 5 games from being 8-4
-We could have scored at the end to beat UNI if we had decent clock management
-Iowa ending
-The BS Jeremiah George fumble against Texas
-Terrible clock management again to lose at the end of Texas Tech by 7
-TCU

I obviously don't expect to win every close game, but as you can see we have been VERY IN games in the current Big 12. CPR can shut his mouth and stop whining about how the current setup is bad for ISU. Would we do better in an easier conference? Yes. But we can also win in the Big 12 with the talent we have, and this prove it. We just need a coach who wont shoot his players and staff in the foot

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
This could have been an exceptional year...no doubt. You must've missed the "YEAR OVER YEAR OVER THE LONGHAUL" part.

No I got it, because year over year we do the same stupid stuff. This coaching staff didn't just take a dumb pill for this year.

But I get it. Your path to success relies on weaker competition and scheduling non-con patsies. Then we can head to a bowl game with a record of 6-6 and lose to Tulsa. Yee ******* ha.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
It ain't that tough a schedule. Find something new to cry about.

The problem with ISU's schedule is that we play good teams almost every week. There is no down time, games where you can run a limited O to hold back plays for 'better teams'. That's greatly compounded by ISU's recruiting disadvantage of being the N school in a S conference where all the recruits are from. You can't expect 2* and 3* kids to be ready to face 4* and 5* kids after only a year or two in your program. Due to injuries and such that's the boat ISU often throws guys into.

I'm not saying it's impossible...BUT I'd caution anyone that thinks coaching changes is somehow going to make us B12 contenders.

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
No I got it, because year over year we do the same stupid stuff. This coaching staff didn't just take a dumb pill for this year.

But I get it. Your path to success relies on weaker competition and scheduling non-con patsies. Then we can head to a bowl game with a record of 6-6 and lose to Tulsa. Yee ******* ha.

I'm not making this stuff up...Firstly read-up on how Snyder turned around KSU.
Second we are definitely in the top 5 hardest P5 jobs...#2 according to this article - you think they just pulled ISU out of their arse and ranked them #2?

WE HAVE TO GET TO A BOWL GAME AND THAT MEANS 6 WINS. A bowl game gives us another 1.5months of practice, more exposure and improved recruiting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron