Happy Days Are Here Again...Except for that elephant in the room....

cyfanatic1968

Mar 25, 2014
The realigned Big 12 Conference:

What does this mean for Iowa State?

3 non-conference games every year instead of 4 with one always being Iowa.

9 game round-robin Big 12 schedule...

Meaning:
6 games every year against:
Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas Tech

3 games every year against:
West Virginia, Kansas State, and Kansas

Matt Campbell is going to have to be one pretty special coach to overcome the horrible conference/recruiting set up that ISU faces in the realigned Big 12.

I will continue buying season tickets, tailgating, and hope for the best like the other faithful/hopeful Cyclone fans here...But my expectations are in check - I've seen this show before. There may be great "one-off" seasons but year over year over the longhaul we lose with this conference set up.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
9 game conference schedule is not going anywhere. The Big Ten will be doing it soon, and I expect the SEC to do it when their TV contract is up. Because TV networks continue to throw lots of money at live sports, they need more good games to add to their supply. Adding another conference game was an easy way of adding another good game to the schedule, making the TV contracts bigger.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Meaning:

Matt Campbell is going to have to be one pretty special coach to overcome the horrible conference/recruiting set up that ISU faces in the realigned Big 12.

I will continue buying season tickets, tailgating, and hope for the best like the other faithful/hopeful Cyclone fans here...But my expectations are in check - I've seen this show before. There may be great "one-off" seasons but year over year over the longhaul we lose with this conference set up.

latest

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
You hit it right on the head with this post. I know we're all feeling love struck over this hire. My opinion is that it's a great hire. We as a fanbase need to realize that with this schedule, it's going to be tough going no matter who the coach is. We just need to hope that the powers to be wake up and add another 2 to 4 teams so we can go to playing in divisions like the other P5 conferences.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Isn't this the guy that wanted to take the least desirable football programs in the Midwest and have them all walk away from around $25mil per year to join up in a real piece of **** conference of their own?

Man, the trolling just never ends with this guy.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
A competent staff in place probably wins 7 or 8 games this year. Get one or two of those type seasons, or better if we are lucky enough to find a gem at the QB spot, and the ball can start to roll down hill.

Would 4 non-conference games be easier? Of course, but we have not come close to realizing the potential of this program.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
It ain't that tough a schedule. Find something new to cry about.

As it turns out, this was exactly correct this year. Baylor and Okie were the only two games that we probably weren't going to have a chance in this year. Despite all the chest-pumping Hok fans, that team was not the same team early in the season & we SHOULD have won that game had we had decent 2nd half coaching. KSU, OSU, Toledo should have all been wins. Tech was a complete and total coaching failure - but was definitely a very winnable ball game. WVU was winnable - as our Defense showed. IMO, Coaching ineptitude on the offensive side of the ball was the common denominator for most, if not all, of our losses.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Every other team in the conference plays this schedule as well, and you dont see them ******** about it everyday.

Spam

May 21, 2008
The 3 non con games and the 4-5 games against the worst teams of the B12 are rarely that difficult.

It's the top 4 or so games of the B12 that make our schedule difficult- games we aren't even looking to win with the new coach.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Meaning:

Wait - why weren't we informed of this!?!? rabblerabblerabble...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron