Hang in there. We're just 2 years away from a 9 win season.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Glad to see so much optimism on this board. Outside of cygrads, no one has listed a reason why we CAN'T make that kind of turnaround.
The most frustrating thing about this year is, other than Baylor, the Big XII is as "down" as I've seen it in years. At the beginning of the year I was extremely excited for the season - I really thought that in year 5 with a decent QB, a much improved OLine, better receivers, and Wally Burnham coached D that we could AT LEAST be middle of the pack (5th - 6th) in the Big XII. We have regressed, and in the near future it is going to be extremely difficult as these other teams get even better next year and the year after that. I hope we can too, but with the current offense (coaching, style, OLine issues, QB issues) - I can't see it happening. I really hope that I eat crow with this post, but I am fed up with the crap I have seen on the offensive side of the ball for YEARS (you have to go back to Steve Loney's years at ISU for me to remember having a really good offense, OLINE included).

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No. Replying to poster that said he thinks the CURRENT team has 6 win talent this year. I think this year's talent will be 9 wins good 2 years from now.

Well then you are more positive than me. I don't see it.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Now we're waiting for 2015?
Should we start the "2016 will be the breakout season" threads? This is really out there.
Why? We should be pretty good in 2015. Please explain why this is far fetched. I andany others predicted a three win team this year followed by a 6 win team next year and 8-9 team in 2015. If not for injuries and losing a couple close games we would already be at 3 wins.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Why? We should be pretty good in 2015. Please explain why this is far fetched.
If I had a dime for every time I've been told a unit "should be pretty good" in a given year I'd be a rich man. Knott and Klein are about the only thing that's ever lived up to anything close to their hype.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
There has been one time in our history where we had a bad year and then won 9 games two years later. There has probably been 70 times where we had a bad year and then didn't win 9 games two years later. Based on that past history, the odds on us winning 9 games in 2015 would be around 70:1.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Cyclone fans are annual national champs in next year talk. Quite the dynasty.
last year I said this year we would be bad. And we are. Honestly Rhoads has out performed my "next year" preduction every year but this (but he still could) I picked 3 or less this year.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
There has been one time in our history where we had a bad year and then won 9 games two years later. There has probably been 70 times where we had a bad year and then didn't win 9 games two years later. Based on that past history, the odds on us winning 9 games in 2015 would be around 70:1.

Brilliant

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm on board. A MUCH better o-line, better QB and WR, and RB is up in the air.

I fear lack of talent on defense will hurt us.

And this isn't coming from a delusional fan. I predicted this team to win 3 games this year.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Different era - Dan had 4 non-conf games and a weak big xii north.

This is the point too many people ignored. That 9 win team only played...TWO RANKED TEAMS. 9-1 against unranked teams. 0-2 against ranked teams.

That would translate to about 6-7, 7-6 or 8-5 with our recent schedules where we play 4-7 ranked teams a year. At first glance you think winning 9 games back in the 11 game schedule days is more impressive, then you realize the Big 12 was so down back then that you could have an entire season playing two ranked teams.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would think that Rhoads has earned the benefit of the doubt for (at least) one more year, even after this year. The offense needs redone, but, that'll happen, and we are (legitimately) extremely young and will have a ton of returning experience the next two years. I was there--live--in 2009, and I miss that offense, but definitely not Chizik and that defense. Wally still gets the boys up to play (like today), and I think we'll have (at least) comparable talent at some point in the near future.

I figured the win in Lincoln the last time we will ever play there, the Minnesota bowl game, winning in Austin, killing the BCS, two against Iowa (including one in the People's Republic of Johnson County), 3/5 on bowl games (in an era *after* the Big 12 North and 4/8 schedules), TCU on the road, and coming oh-so-close on Nebraska again the year after, Texas this year, and giving NIU its only regular season win a few years ago earns us some benefit of the doubt.

If somebody told me in 2009 that, in the next five years, all of the above would happen, given we are IOWA STATE and Chizzle just left us for dead at 5-19 I would have taken it... And I still would have. Down years are going to happen. I thought we were past the losing to UNI days, unfortunately, but never again. This team had its open shots at UNI, Iowa, Texas, and TCU this year. Let's just enjoy the last days of the current seniors and look forward to next year, where things have to look up. We know Rhoads can surprise us. He always has.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Danny Mac's 1998 team finished 3-8, 1-7 in the Big 12. Two years later, we won the Insight Bowl and finished 9-3. 14 players who have made at least one start this year will still be here two years from now. Here's some of the players we'll have in 2015:

QB--take your pick: SBR, Rohach, Lanning, Hodge
RB--Nealy, Mister
WR--Bundrage, Lazard, Daley, Ecby, Montgomery
OL--Four of the five starters we had against TCU today, plus Campos and Curtis
Defense--Kron, Tribune, Charlie Rogers, Sam Richardson, Luke Knott, Lemke, Mitch Meyers

This year sucks, but just be patient. CPR will make a two year turnaround just like McCarney did. Mark it down!
I thought our year was last year and we finished with a losing record? Plus just what this staff needs is more quarterbacks to throw in the fire.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Agreed on the -3 win coaching. 9 wins is assuming CPR makes the necessary changes. Not sure if this team has 6 win talent though...

Quoting Ben Bruns..."The sad thing is we're going to have to go thru this again next year".....Alluding to the fact that we are not Young and Inexperienced but Older and Inexperienced....

Just food for thought as they say...Go Cyclones

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron