Hakeem Butler Cut

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No one has spilled the beans yet, but I recall seeing the suggestion here that his initial choice of agents really worked against him.

That makes a lot of sense actually. I mean I get how any guy could slip, but to not even make the late rounds just seemed odd. It's not like there were character or work ethic issues that plenty of players have.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Kliff Kingsbury, the koach of the Arizona Kardinals (but fomerly at Texas Tek): "It just wasn't working here with Hakeem". Blurb:

“He’s a talented young man. We really like Hakeem,” Kingsbury told reporters on Monday. “It’s just one of those deals, sometimes it’s better for both sides to have a fresh start, and we felt that was one of those instances.

“He has a tremendous upside, and we still think he could be a really good player in this league. It just wasn’t working here, and so, we allowed him to go somewhere else. I hope it works out for him because we did enjoy him while he was here.”

Link to full article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kliff-kingsbury-just-wasn-t-121413710.html

Reactions: Aclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Kliff Kingsbury, the koach of the Arizona Kardinals (but fomerly at Texas Tek): "It just wasn't working here with Hakeem". Blurb:

“He’s a talented young man. We really like Hakeem,” Kingsbury told reporters on Monday. “It’s just one of those deals, sometimes it’s better for both sides to have a fresh start, and we felt that was one of those instances.

“He has a tremendous upside, and we still think he could be a really good player in this league. It just wasn’t working here, and so, we allowed him to go somewhere else. I hope it works out for him because we did enjoy him while he was here.”

Link to full article: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kliff-kingsbury-just-wasn-t-121413710.html

Ouch. That almost makes it sound like it wasn’t a talent issue.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Speaking as a Vikings fan for a very long time, “lots of mediocre” does not constitute a “crowded WR room”.

There’s a reason they probably aren’t keeping very many. If Hakeem could consistently catch the ball, he could separate himself.

And yes, I’m figuring the Vikes still need to pick up another high round WR in the next couple of years.
Here is some reflection on Hakeem's situation from someone on an Arizona Cardinals fan board, who is obviously bitter about how things unfolded:

What Happened With Hakeem?
"To be fair to Hakeem Butler, losing his entire rookie season to injury (fractured hand) was a major setback---and then losing out on not having any OTAs or mini-camps this ... time around, Butler really never had a decent chance to get the number of on the field reps that would allow him to move up the WR ladder in Arizona. "

No one knows how this pandemic season will unfold. Without OTA's, it was near impossible for a player to fight his way back onto a roster. But maybe, in addition to injuries, more openings than usual will be created as the season wears on.

Reactions: Aclone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Here is some reflection on Hakeem's situation from someone on an Arizona Cardinals fan board, who is obviously bitter about how things unfolded:

What Happened With Hakeem?
"To be fair to Hakeem Butler, losing his entire rookie season to injury (fractured hand) was a major setback---and then losing out on not having any OTAs or mini-camps this ... time around, Butler really never had a decent chance to get the number of on the field reps that would allow him to move up the WR ladder in Arizona. "

No one knows how this pandemic season will unfold. Without OTA's, it was near impossible for a player to fight his way back onto a roster. But maybe, in addition to injuries, more openings than usual will be created as the season wears on.
If MVS is on a team then drops shouldn’t be an issue. Butler just didn’t have a chance to prove himself as you said.

Reactions: Scott34

scratch

Jan 28, 2018
Saw him make some fabulous catches.....and it was like how the hell did he do that....and then a few plays later it was like how the hell did he miss that.... Should have stayed another year to hone his craft.

Reactions: reignofthetiger

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Saw him make some fabulous catches.....and it was like how the hell did he do that....and then a few plays later it was like how the hell did he miss that.... Should have stayed another year to hone his craft.

The coaching in the NFL should be enough to help someone get right, especially for catching a football.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's not a hands issue, it's a concentration issue.

Well whatever it was, it's an issue and he was inconsistent at catching a routine ball, and even with NFL coaching it may not get better. He had a few drops in preseason games last year and I'd imagine he got very good coaching to improve it during the months leading up.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's not a hands issue, it's a concentration issue.
Regardless, it's currently an employment issue. He's got a deficiency in his game and it's clearly keeping him from getting a job. And it's apparently a significant enough deficiency that teams are not willing to sign him, despite his other strong traits.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron