Hakeem Butler Cut

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He’s been struggling catching the ball, correct?

I think that was always considered a weakness of his. In the pros you have to be more than just a jump ball guy. Hope someone else gives him a shot.

Reactions: chadly82

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is so frustrating! Iowa State guys get no respect in the league. People say the narrative is changing. We've seen Lazard work his way into a steady role on a team. Hopefully Butler can do the same. Motivation wasn't ever an issue for him.

Off the top of my head, the Jets and Chargers come to mind as possible landing spots. The Chargers won't have Mike Williams for a few weeks, he's their downfield big play guy. Hakeem could slide right in to that role. The Jets simply because they are bereft of receivers. Their best one is Jamison Crowder, more of a slot guy.

Reactions: Cycsk

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This is so frustrating! Iowa State guys get no respect in the league. People say the narrative is changing. We've seen Lazard work his way into a steady role on a team. Hopefully Butler can do the same. Motivation wasn't ever an issue for him.

Off the top of my head, the Jets and Chargers come to mind as possible landing spots. The Chargers won't have Mike Williams for a few weeks, he's their downfield big play guy. Hakeem could slide right in to that role. The Jets simply because they are bereft of receivers. Their best one is Jamison Crowder, more of a slot guy.
I don’t think the problem was “because he played at Iowa State”.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

NFL teams aren't necessarily interested in receivers that make the highlight catches no problems but struggles with the routine ones - and unfortunately that's the track record of Butler. He'll likely get another chance somewhere, but until he consistently makes the routine catches he's not going to stick.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
When Treadwell was with Minnesota he was Cousins favorite target in training camp because he could win those jump balls, but it never clicked for him in the regular season - if Butler can minimize the drops he could be great in Minnesota
Could be wrong, but I don't think Minnesota is going to be signing him, not to the active roster anyway. They've got a crowded WR room. Probably aren't going to be keeping more than 5 or possibly 6 on the 53 man roster. Top two are safe. Two more rookies that they like. And then 3 (Beebe, Sharpe and Hollins) for the last spot(s). Butler, at this point, is a flyer for any team. I'm betting he ends up on a practice squad.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Could be wrong, but I don't think Minnesota is going to be signing him, not to the active roster anyway. They've got a crowded WR room. Probably aren't going to be keeping more than 5 or possibly 6 on the 53 man roster. Top two are safe. Two more rookies that they like. And then 3 (Beebe, Sharpe and Hollins) for the last spot(s). Butler, at this point, is a flyer for any team. I'm betting he ends up on a practice squad.
I agree, I actually like where the Vikings are at in the WR room as a fan. Not that I wouldn't love having a Cyclone on the roster.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Many people said it at the time, and I will say it again Butler should have stayed one more year. I'm sure he thinks the same thing. The league isn't kind to guys to guys who can't catch the easy ones. He went from being the most athletic guy on the field to just an average to above average guy in the NFL. Hope he gets another chance, but it won't be as easy of a road going forward, thats for sure.

Hopefully he saved his money.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

Wasn't he hurt most of last year? Hakeem didn't get drafted high enough for the Cardinals to wait around for him to get right. Not that surprised by this one.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ

He should have stayed another year. He still has stone hands.

Look, i love Hakeem as much as the next, but it's not an Iowa State issue, it's strictly a stone hands, and they have a lot of depth at their position.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
NFL teams aren't necessarily interested in receivers that make the highlight catches no problems but struggles with the routine ones - and unfortunately that's the track record of Butler. He'll likely get another chance somewhere, but until he consistently makes the routine catches he's not going to stick.
I agree that there is some of that problem with Butler but people said the same thing about Lazard. Besides Butler hasn’t really gotten any opportunity to show anything since he got hurt last year. It is absolutely fair to say that our guys seem to have a tougher time of breaking through.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron