Hakeem Butler Cut

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So by my math, he has 2 years of service for pension purposes (year on IR with AZ, more than 3 games on the active roster in Philly). It seems unlikely, but it would be awesome if he could land on an active roster for at least 3 games this year and earn an annual $20k+ starting at age 55.

I was thinking this too! Maybe a bit too early to "write off" his NFL career completely or relegate him to AFL. He can make a pretty good living bouncing from team to team, trying out, and being on practice squads for 3-5 years.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I read on an Eagles blog that Hakeem's only official NFL snap was when Doug Petersen called a goal line fade to him on 4th down in the 4th quarter vs. the Giants. Talk about pressure.

Eagles had plans of moving him to TE, but it didn't pan out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure where else to post these things: I see that Michael Jacobson was waived a couple weeks ago by the Seahawks.

K. Osemele was never re-signed this year. He was playing well last year for the Chiefs until he got hurt. Some team with OL injuries will take a serious look at him.

Willie Harvey re-signed with Cleveland after they had an LB injury. Also signed at the same time as Willie was a LB named Montrel MEANDER -- can he stay in his assignment or does he just wander off? :)

KO is probably done. Last I knew he had torn both ACLs last year. Not sure how you rehab both at the same time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I for one always thought that Butler really needed another year in college to refine his game. Pretty tough to do that in the league when you only get live reps in a few preseason games.

At this point, we're kind of down to Bailey, Soehner and Nwangwu to make rosters as rookies. Pretty sure Nwangwu will make it, but who knows on Soehner.

Reactions: cynile

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I for one always thought that Butler really needed another year in college to refine his game. Pretty tough to do that in the league when you only get live reps in a few preseason games.

At this point, we're kind of down to Bailey, Soehner and Nwangwu to make rosters as rookies. Pretty sure Nwangwu will make it, but who knows on Soehner.

Said it earlier but if he's not able to make it work with three years of the highest level of coaching I'm not sure what another year of college does aside from maybe getting drafted a bit higher.

Footwork and hands for the routine catch were never strengths or consistant and those fundamentals make a difference.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Nervous for Nwangwu who has barely played all preseason. Hakeem got off to a similar start and look where he is now. Hopefully Kene has a better fate

Reactions: khardbored

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Said it earlier but if he's not able to make it work with three years of the highest level of coaching I'm not sure what another year of college does aside from maybe getting drafted a bit higher.

Footwork and hands for the routine catch were never strengths or consistant and those fundamentals make a difference.

I don't know if he would have been drafted higher, but he really needed to work on fundamentals and "perfecting his craft". I don't know what he's worked on since college, but it sure doesn't seem like that's it.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Nervous for Nwangwu who has barely played all preseason. Hakeem got off to a similar start and look where he is now. Hopefully Kene has a better fate
He got dinged up in the first preseason game but was generating a bit of buzz prior to that. Will be telling if they keep him on the 53, worst case scenario is practice squad I would imagine.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Klein’s been a good pro, but there’s been far better in the league that went to ISU.

Hayward had a pretty similar career to Klein, had some nice years in the league. Ellis Hobbs definitely had his stretch too. Keith Sims was an all pro lineman for the Dolphins in the 90’s. So was Marcus Robertson at safety for the Oilers. Osemele has been one of the better lineman over the last decade as well.

Also there’s Matt Blair, who may even still have a case to this day for the HOF. I’d also argue what Montgomery has done over two years has already put him up there.
Gene Williams had a nice career playing in 114 games over 9 years including 1 Super Bowl while with the Falcons.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron