Greetings from BYU Country

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I’m the cool one. JP is like a dollar store knock off.
100.webp

• Funny
Reactions: JM4CY

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If you ever make the trip out that way, check out the LDS Conference Center in SLC. It is a breathtaking building with the most beautiful large auditorium on the planet that also happens to be acoustically perfect.

The pride they take in that building just beams through when you talk to anyone associated.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
If you ever make the trip out that way, check out the LDS Conference Center in SLC. It is a breathtaking building with the most beautiful large auditorium on the planet that also happens to be acoustically perfect.

The pride they take in that building just beams through when you talk to anyone associated.

Having been there, all of the LDS stuff was impressive only in how creepy it is.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I was also incarcerated at the Carthage jail just like Joseph Smith. A little better outcome for me...

I welcome our new BYU brothers and sisters

Last edited:

CY9395

Jun 7, 2010
I'm not Mormon, but know/work with many of them and they have always been gracious, nice and pleasant. I'm not sure why people are always taking shots, some of it pretty ugly, at their beliefs (ironically it's usually from folks left of center who wouldn't dream of attacking certain other religions - can you imagine if there was a broadway play mocking Islam like there was with the Book of Mormon?). When I look at religions around the world and even christianity I see a lot of things I consider pretty out there but I don't mock or attack folks for believing in what they believe.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'm not Mormon, but know/work with many of them and they have always been gracious, nice and pleasant. I'm not sure why people are always taking shots, some of it pretty ugly, at their beliefs (ironically it's usually from folks left of center who wouldn't dream of attacking certain other religions - can you imagine if there was a broadway play mocking Islam like there was with the Book of Mormon?). When I look at religions around the world and even christianity I see a lot of things I consider pretty out there but I don't mock or attack folks for believing in what they believe.

I should probably expand upon my comment rather than just saying it was creepy. It was creepy in how much power the church had/has in that area. There's an outdoor pedestrian mall area where they have "morality cops" walking around and kicking people out if they find their t-shirt offensive. To be honest, I'd compare it more to communism than religion. It's the controlling factor that's creepy. And the more I learn about LDS, the more creepy it seems. Just my opinion. I know every religion has their extremists that give a bad look to the whole - but I guess the heart of SLC seems/feels like that's where that lives.

On the flip side, drive a few miles out and things seem mostly normal. Again, just my opinion, but it's not a place where I'd want to live - in a similar way that I wouldn't want to live in China.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Before covid hit, the wife and I were thinking of doing a road trip to SLC to catch a Jazz game when Niang was playing for them. When I was researching the city, it sounded like they have a pretty decent craft beer scene.

It’s pretty good. Been a couple times in the last couple of years. They have an odd ABV rule for beers on draft but a lot of the breweries skirt the issue by selling their bottles and cans. It’s a good time.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I grew up in Ames and just spent the weekend there, visiting family. I attended ISU for a year, before transferring to BYU.

While in Ames, we stopped by Reiman Gardens and had a nice view of Jack Trice Stadium. Back here in Utah, I can see the BYU "Y" on the mountain off in the distance. Anyway, thought it was a good time to join this forum since BYU and ISU will now be conference mates. Let me know if you have any questions about BYU vs Provo.

P.S. -- I'm glad to see both teams won over the weekend and are coincidently ranked right next to each other.
When were you in Ames? I was born and raised in Ames - Ames High Class of 99, ISU Class of 04. The last 10 years I've lived in western WA. Unfortunately still a long damn way from Provo (over 900 miles, too far to drive to a game on my own).

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
When were you in Ames? I was born and raised in Ames - Ames High Class of 99, ISU Class of 04. The last 10 years I've lived in western WA. Unfortunately still a long damn way from Provo (over 900 miles, too far to drive to a game on my own).
I was a little before you. Class of 1993. Ames connections run deep!

Reactions: besserheimerphat