Greetings from a Sooner coming to Ames

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Man I miss HomeTeam Pizza. What ever happened to that place, didn't the owner have a drug problem or something? I remember right before they closed up shop they started to have commercials on tv (that I wish I could find).

My freshman year we lived off the 3 large pizza's for $12 deal. That and ordering the biggest pokey sticks with some pepporoni rolls on whatever night it was a special, i think BOGO.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Early '80's, for pizza I remember Pizza Pit and Great Plains. Lived in Towers, so spent a lot of time on Welch. Only bars I remember were Cave Inn and The Library, although there was a place with a huge dance floor. I think Grubsteak was where Cafe B is. Remember some place with a salad bar, was that Thumbs Up? And what was the kind of big place behind everything on Welch kind of in the alley? All I remember is daiquiris there lol. Oh and the Baskin Robbins. And the IHOP. I walked that stretch every day for three and a half years, I should remember more. Also Hickory Park was a lot smaller than it is now and still had no problem getting my whole family in for a grad party.

Would the big place in the alley be Minsky's Pizza? They later opened one on Lincoln Way out east too....great pizza. Dark place....fuzzy memories. Geez, I'm old.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Early '80's, for pizza I remember Pizza Pit and Great Plains. Lived in Towers, so spent a lot of time on Welch. Only bars I remember were Cave Inn and The Library, although there was a place with a huge dance floor. I think Grubsteak was where Cafe B is. Remember some place with a salad bar, was that Thumbs Up? And what was the kind of big place behind everything on Welch kind of in the alley? All I remember is daiquiris there lol. Oh and the Baskin Robbins. And the IHOP. I walked that stretch every day for three and a half years, I should remember more. Also Hickory Park was a lot smaller than it is now and still had no problem getting my whole family in for a grad party.
I remember an ice cream place there on the west side of the street, but I thought B&R was up at the mall? And I don't remember an IHOP at all. We used to hang with a group of grad students & young faculty from my department; most of our FAW/C were at Dugan's, Welch Ave, or very occasionally Corner Pocket.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I remember an ice cream place there on the west side of the street, but I thought B&R was up at the mall? And I don't remember an IHOP at all. We used to hang with a group of grad students & young faculty from my department; most of our FAW/C were at Dugan's, Welch Ave, or very occasionally Corner Pocket.

The Welch Avenue Baskin Robbins is the only one I have ever been in during my life. It was on the west side of the street, not that far up from Lincoln Way. Had an anorexic roommate who liked to go there, she would get a sample from a tiny spoon and then not buy anything. There was also some store in that stretch that sold jelly bellies, she loved those. IHOP, she just would get coffee and then pick at my food.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Would the big place in the alley be Minsky's Pizza? They later opened one on Lincoln Way out east too....great pizza. Dark place....fuzzy memories. Geez, I'm old.

Oh thank you, that's it! Was losing what little mind I have left trying to remember. The pizza was good, but if you went in there from daylight, took a while for the eyes to adjust, it was dark.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfamily

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Oh thank you, that's it! Was losing what little mind I have left trying to remember. The pizza was good, but if you went in there from daylight, took a while for the eyes to adjust, it was dark.

Yup, it only took me 4 days to come up with the name, "Minsky's" Ugh!

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yup, it only took me 4 days to come up with the name, "Minsky's" Ugh!

The really pathetic part for me was I could even vaguely remember that it ended in "sky's.":rolleyes: I try to take comfort in the fact that when I was tailgating with my brother, he couldn't remember the names of two of his three grandkids, at least I could remind him of their names. But he is eight years older than me and had been drinking more, so I may be headed that way on the Swiss cheese memory.

• Funny

cyclone93

Feb 13, 2008
The pizza place I liked best in the early 90s just off Welch was DaVinci's -- the pizza was excellent and the cheesesteak hoagies were a treat! Couldn't afford to eat there often (pizza was over $10 if I recall, even in 90s dollars)...ah, memories of being destitute.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
The Welch Avenue Baskin Robbins is the only one I have ever been in during my life. It was on the west side of the street, not that far up from Lincoln Way. Had an anorexic roommate who liked to go there, she would get a sample from a tiny spoon and then not buy anything. There was also some store in that stretch that sold jelly bellies, she loved those. IHOP, she just would get coffee and then pick at my food.
We used to go on "break runs" in the summer when we were temporarily located in a building with only window air-conditioners) - give one person the bucks & send them up to the mall to B&R to bring back ice cream for all of us. Memories...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The pizza place I liked best in the early 90s just off Welch was DaVinci's -- the pizza was excellent and the cheesesteak hoagies were a treat! Couldn't afford to eat there often (pizza was over $10 if I recall, even in 90s dollars)...ah, memories of being destitute.

DaVincis was good. It was a nice treat once in a while.

I worked at Gumby's for a while. Pokey Sticks really were worth their weight in gold. Especially when I got free ones at work.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We used to go on "break runs" in the summer when we were temporarily located in a building with only window air-conditioners) - give one person the bucks & send them up to the mall to B&R to bring back ice cream for all of us. Memories...

This article mentions the impact of the mall on Campustown.

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1008&context=revival

It also starts out with a reference to the IHOP. I didn't realize until I read it that The Library changed to Welch Ave Station shortly after I graduated, I thought it was maybe the 1990's.

I remember shopping for clothes in Campustown too. Found the linked article when I was trying to remember the name of Minsky's lol. It's been bugging me for days, wish I could rep @cyfamily.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
OK, I dont see any mention of Terrace Parties... they were epic held outside of the Union, from noon - 6pm. I had a tough time walking past there, the magnetic pull always forced my up & over the wall to avoid paying the cover charge. I remember a mention in the Rolling Stone Mag about them. & Thumbs UP was our daily bar, we hit it often, pool in the afternoons with an unattended beer tap keep our tabs small! Es Tas would be my bar of choice now

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
This article mentions the impact of the mall on Campustown.

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1008&context=revival

It also starts out with a reference to the IHOP. I didn't realize until I read it that The Library changed to Welch Ave Station shortly after I graduated, I thought it was maybe the 1990's.

I remember shopping for clothes in Campustown too. Found the linked article when I was trying to remember the name of Minsky's lol. It's been bugging me for days, wish I could rep @cyfamily.
Call me silly, but that picture on the last page makes me sad. It screams offices and business enterprises, not small town student gathering site. :(

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Whats with all of the Jeff's hate?

Their specialty pizzas and deals are really good, especially on monday and tuesday. My favorite are the bbq bacon chicken ranch pizza and "The Spud" which has hashbrowns, cheese, and sour cream.

Also, smotherella sticks

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Call me silly, but that picture on the last page makes me sad. It screams offices and business enterprises, not small town student gathering site. :(

Me too. My nephew lives in one of the new high rises. It seems kind of sterile and boring to me I guess, but it doesn't really matter much to him, he is always electronically attached anyway.

I went to grad school at Notre Dame and they have now built an area south of campus that is more of the same, this kind of stuff. I guess a little of it goes a long way for me. I miss the rib joint they used to have there with newspaper covering the table and the whole loaf of cheap white bread they used to bring to sop up the sauce.

The new buildings and chain restaurants must do well though or they wouldn't be in business. I think chains are great when you are traveling because you know what to expect, but when you actually live somewhere, I think it's nice to have a few places that are unique and more memorable.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Whats with all of the Jeff's hate?

Their specialty pizzas and deals are really good, especially on monday and tuesday. My favorite are the bbq bacon chicken ranch pizza and "The Spud" which has hashbrowns, cheese, and sour cream.

Also, smotherella sticks

Jeff's lunch specials are a solid deal as well.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Pretty tough to beat..

Monday: Buy any 14" or larger pizza and get a second pizza of the same size for FREE!

Tuesday: Buy any 14" or larger pizza and get a Smotharella Sticks of the same size for FREE!