Green Bay Packers B.J. Raji RETIRING at age 29?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think you'd have to really have your head in the sand to not see this trend coming. Guys are going to keep cutting careers short while they think they can still maintain some quality of life in retirement.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think you'd have to really have your head in the sand to not see this trend coming. Guys are going to keep cutting careers short while they think they can still maintain some quality of life in retirement.
Yep. Make more than enough to live off of a few years and get out.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
They see all the old players now that aren't able to walk or talk or remember things that happened 5 minutes ago.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Make your cash money, invest wisely, and move on with life. This will be the new norm and it's better than the game dying.
Unfortunately I think the game will be hurt a lot. Tyler Sash's autopsy proved you don't have to play football till your 35 to have severe CTE. It's all going to start with a huge drop in participation at the high school football level I'm afraid.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I thought Raji was quoted as saying he is just sitting out 'this year'?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Unfortunately I think the game will be hurt a lot. Tyler Sash's autopsy proved you don't have to play football till your 35 to have severe CTE. It's all going to start with a huge drop in participation at the high school football level I'm afraid.

I guess I don't see it as unfortunate. I love football, but I can't help but feel like a hypocrite supporting a sport that is clearly dangerous to its participants. I don't think I'd let my kid play football. And I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for quitting the sport.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

That's going to be the real "death" blow to the sport (it'll survive, but not likely as the king of American sports), but it'll be years before we see the effects of that. In the meantime, more and more players who already have skin in the game will retire early, which will only keep reinforcing the fact that the game is dangerous, and keep parents skittish about having their children play.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
I'm sorry but not allowing your kid to play football is incredibly unfair to the kid and naive. I played football through ninth grade and switched over to soccer because most of my friends where there. While I was in soccer I had my head split open from someone kicking me and I shattered a finger (Still have two pins). I had nothing in football besides a few sprained fingers. Injuries happen in all sports and it's a part of growing up. 99% of us won't play anything past high school and denying your kid social activities like football isn't fair to him.

I will never regret playing those sports because it's where I learned a lot of life lessons and I met a lot of friends and different people in the community and across the state. We need to stop judging football based off the few pros that played until they were 30. There are countless examples of basketball players that can't walk when they're 50, but they'll tell you they wouldn't give it up for anything.

Pretty soon all our kids will be relegated to going home and sitting on the couch.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm sorry but not allowing your kid to play football is incredibly unfair to the kid and naive. I played football through ninth grade and switched over to soccer because most of my friends where there. While I was in soccer I had my head split open from someone kicking me and I shattered a finger (Still have two pins). I had nothing in football besides a few sprained fingers. Injuries happen in all sports and it's a part of growing up. 99% of us won't play anything past high school and denying your kid social activities like football isn't fair to him.

I will never regret playing those sports because it's where I learned a lot of life lessons and I met a lot of friends and different people in the community and across the state. We need to stop judging football based off the few pros that played until they were 30. There are countless examples of basketball players that can't walk when they're 50, but they'll tell you they wouldn't give it up for anything.

Pretty soon all our kids will be relegated to going home and sitting on the couch.
Couldn't get past the bolded statement.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

You're missing the point. Pretty much every athlete has gone into it knowing that bruises, cuts, sprains, and broken bones could be part of the deal. Those you can live with; if you play long enough, that can make it difficult to walk or do other things in later life. But those injuries are nothing compared to the potential for life-altering brain damage that is now known to be associated with playing football. But yeah, let's keep the kids playing football because of the slippery slope argument.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
And yet another adjustment of the rules of the game.

When that starts happening on a yearly basis, the end is near.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Also makes it better for the college players that don't get a chance due to people sticking around forever taking up salary capacity.

This. Players retiring earlier will drive bigger salaries down to the younger players, which will entice more people to play the game. Football isn't going anywhere.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
You're missing the point. Pretty much every athlete has gone into it knowing that bruises, cuts, sprains, and broken bones could be part of the deal. Those you can live with; if you play long enough, that can make it difficult to walk or do other things in later life. But those injuries are nothing compared to the potential for life-altering brain damage that is now known to be associated with playing football. But yeah, let's keep the kids playing football because of the slippery slope argument.

Like I said 99% of us won't play football after high school and I had a concussion in soccer and have seen it in other sports like baseball and rugby. I'm sure the ball players didn't sign up for being in wheel chairs by the time they're done. There are plenty of cases where guys issues aren't concussion or head related

Help Support Us

Become a patron