Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Never seen such a delusional fan base. On HR they're rosterbating over the updated weight. This hok football team is gonna be fast! :)

I know we have similar irrational fans on CF, but there's usually at least a few voices of reason. Optimism is one thing, assuming your team would be Sweet 16 caliber if you changed to a zone is another. Their team barely showed any signs of life this year yet they assume Wieskamp will be the chosen one for them propelling them to the Big Dance.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Where'd you find this?

Last time this happened to Fran it was Dale Jones who he wanted to leave and honored him and started him on senior night. Fran didn't even play Ellingson on senior night so he's either a) a bigger jerk than I thought or b) wasn't expecting this

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

Last time this happened to Fran it was Dale Jones who he wanted to leave and honored him and started him on senior night. Fran didn't even play Ellingson on senior night so he's either a) a bigger jerk than I thought or b) wasn't expecting this

Hopefully for Iowa they lose a couple more 4-5s and get some quicker guards

• Disagree
Reactions: CycloneVet

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I wonder who the first guy chosen in pick up games will be now. Tough to lose a guy like that.

Reactions: CyTwins

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Cant make this up but there's a thread saying that if iowa played zone like syracuse they'd be dancing since they have a top 20 offense. If any team had Boheim they'd be dancing regularly, you dip ***** you've got mad fran

This was discussed on another thread, but the zone works for Cuse because they recruit guys that can play zone defense. Tall, long, athletic guys that can cover huge amounts of space very quickly. Iowa players are not very quick, so the results would be pretty much the same as they are right now; guys not being able to stop penetration into the lane or rotate to cover breakdowns. They would probably be as good or slightly better than ISU in the zone, but that still wouldn't be enough to win many games.

One thing that no ones has talked much about is the fact that the Big 10 absolutely sucked this year other than the top 4 teams. I can't see that going on indefinitely. MN, IL, NW, PSU even Nebraska might rise up a bit next year. I'm sure there are a couple other teams I am unaware of, since I don't pay a lot of attention.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Ouch Brady got Franned. Sad.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This was discussed on another thread, but the zone works for Cuse because they recruit guys that can play zone defense. Tall, long, athletic guys that can cover huge amounts of space very quickly. Iowa players are not very quick, so the results would be pretty much the same as they are right now; guys not being able to stop penetration into the lane or rotate to cover breakdowns. They would probably be as good or slightly better than ISU in the zone, but that still wouldn't be enough to win many games.

One thing that no ones has talked much about is the fact that the Big 10 absolutely sucked this year other than the top 4 teams. I can't see that going on indefinitely. MN, IL, NW, PSU even Nebraska might rise up a bit next year. I'm sure there are a couple other teams I am unaware of, since I don't pay a lot of attention.
If this Iowa team ever became as good or better than ISU on the defensive end, Prohm should be immediately fired and every one of our guys should have their scholarship revoked. I don't think people get just how awful that team was defensively. I think Kenpoms adjusted D ranking was around 250, which unbelievably bad for a P5 team. ISU was a bad defensive team and was more than 100 spots better.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If this Iowa team ever became as good or better than ISU on the defensive end, Prohm should be immediately fired and every one of our guys should have their scholarship revoked. I don't think people get just how awful that team was defensively. I think Kenpoms adjusted D ranking was around 250, which unbelievably bad for a P5 team. ISU was a bad defensive team and was more than 100 spots better.

This site here...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2018-ratings.html

Uses a similar methodology to KemPom in a per possession/per 100 efficiency adjusted for the quality of the opponent, their offense, or their defense.

ISU's defense ranked #108 last year for giving up 99.44 per 100 against an average Division 1 team. For comparison, UVA was #1 at 81.34 per 100.

Cincinnati was #2 at 83.29 and Texas Tech was #3 at 86.63 -- we beat them. Once. :)

Iowa was #195 giving up 104.88 per 100 against an average Division 1 team.

Here are Iowa's peers...

upload_2018-3-20_13-57-52.png

Here are ISU's peers...

upload_2018-3-20_13-58-15.png

At least we were competing with fellow (bad) high-major teams for our rankings. Iowa was playing defense at the level of a low-major program.