Good bye Battles/Campus town liquors building

CycloneJL

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Falls
Last I knew (as of last fall) George's son still had a Battle's BBQ in Nevada. Same great food, plus has the ambiance of the original Battle's. I much preferred going there after Battle's moved to Welch.

kds

Sep 3, 2012
Ankeny, IA
Eh, Battles is ok, but nothing to write home about, imho... Hy-Vee has always served our liquor needs quite well, so I can't say much about The Keg Shop.

So, a 1.3 acre, gaudy gas station in the middle of campus town? That's extremely disappointing... The last thing that area needs is a big paved lot...

That was my first thought. The station seems so out-of-place in a pedestrian-heavy area, and doesn't fit the park-like feel of the city. Although their newer stores are very nice. Before the K&G on South Dakota opened (or right after it opened when the fuel prices were stupidly inflated), the Campustown K&G was my last resort. The lot was so small it was hard to maneuver around in, and I was always afraid someone would hit me.

It's a scary thought. One of the only places where the meat AND sauce are truly awesome. If anyone remembers Big Daddy's in DM, I think it's somewhat comparable on that level.

Big Daddy's, oh yeah buddy. I used to eat there all the time in HS. And Big Daddy himself was awesome, he would always come out of the kitchen for a little bit and sit down with us at our table and shoot the breeze. I still buy his sauce at Hy-Vee, but it's just not the same.

Last I knew (as of last fall) George's son still had a Battle's BBQ in Nevada. Same great food, plus has the ambiance of the original Battle's. I much preferred going there after Battle's moved to Welch.

I believe there's still a Battles in the town square area in Indianola. They moved it from the main drag there to somewhere near the courthouse, but it's been at least a year or two since I've been to their Indianola location.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Matt Goodman bought both locations.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Campustown K&G carrying liquor made me think of this...

A local radio station over here in IC does the police reports, and highlights the 'convenience store liquor theft call of the day'.

That is all, carry on.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Explains why both are closed or soon will be.

Both were already closed before he bought them, he actually reopened them. Not sure why there is so much hate for him, his businesses seem to do well (i.e. fighting burrito and Lorry's Coffee) and seem to be the more well kept up places around campustown as well. Seems like he has a genuine interest in seeing the area do well.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
You are correct, it was west on Lincoln Way closer to Hy-Vee on the north side of the street. I think it was Lincoln Way and Colorado.
It was on Dotson North of Pizza Hut and West of Kmart.

The place on Colorado was the Beer Baron if I remember correctly. The Barron started out located on West Street.

Last edited:

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
You are correct, it was west on Lincoln Way closer to Hy-Vee on the north side of the street. I think it was Lincoln Way and Colorado.

I think that was Beer Baron. They had a drive thru window.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Both were already closed before he bought them, he actually reopened them. Not sure why there is so much hate for him, his businesses seem to do well (i.e. fighting burrito and Lorry's Coffee) and seem to be the more well kept up places around campustown as well. Seems like he has a genuine interest in seeing the area do well.

He has made some interesting votes while being on the city council. I think he has been a lot more conservative in his voting than people would expect from an independent business owner.

When he was elected I had hope that he could shake up Ames' terrible council leadership but that hasn't happened as much as I thought.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

He's good a businessman, but he's sided with the anti-growth segment in Ames, which is pretty unfortunate.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
The old Keg Shop location in West Ames? Oh yeah.

$2.99 CASES of Dubuque Star longnecks, and $4.99 cases of Red, White & Blue. Good times, man. Good times.

And I can remember when the Battles in Campustown was a Hardees. Crappy fast food, but it gave you a change-up from eating at McDonalds all the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron