Good bye Battles/Campus town liquors building

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Which is a HUGE step in the right direction. Hell holes like Happy Joe's and the bowling alley needed to go for that area to do anything.

Yea, that monopoly is working out well for the pocketbooks of the people of Ames. Who splits up the lanes on a bowling ALLEY?

HuxleyClone

Sep 16, 2007
I am amazed though that they are allowing these new businesses to build on top of mountains that are created to prevent flooding. The established businesses and apartments in that area will be flat out screwed when it floods again. Check out Enterprise right next to Texas Road House. What are they- ten feet lower???

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It also appears that Kum n Go bought the lot at the NW corner of Mortensen and South Dakota, which is directly across the street from the Kum n Go that was built 6 or 7 years ago.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It also appears that Kum n Go bought the lot at the NW corner of Mortensen and South Dakota, which is directly across the street from the Kum n Go that was built 6 or 7 years ago.

Odd, i dont know why they'd need a new location down there given they just bought that one (it was something else for a short time before it was a kum n go right?)

Where are you finding this?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It "just died"? That's not how I remember it. I seem to remember the investor in the land getting foreclosed upon after failing to secure a single leaser for the proposed retail space. Not sure it's in the city's best interest to let some developer who can't remain solvent for a couple years develop 800,000 sq ft of future urban blight.

I think that you remember wrong. The developer had some leasers in line...including a Dillards as an anchor. The city council voted against it, led by Goodman, Rice and Popken. Mahayni and Goodhue were the only ones voting for it and Goodhue moved. The developer was set to pay for the entire project, including taking utilities and a bike trail across the interstate. But, it drug out long enough that the economy tanked and by the time Rice and Popken were voted out, a yes vote by the council was too little too late. Yes, the developer ended up going bankrupt. But if the site was already built a year or two prior, someone would have bought it from him. Presently, Ames citizens still go to DM and Ankeny to shop in hordes.

Now, I'm not saying that things aren't improving or haven't improved. The new Kohls and TJ Maxx will help matters and Duff has really taken off. But I believe Goodman has been more of a thorn in matters than a help. Guys like Jamie Larson are putting development in Ames on the forefront. He and people like Culhane. The Research Park is doing well and Leath will only help there. The council's Main Street facade program has made a huge difference there. Campustown is the one place that needs help and personally, I don't know that K&G putting a big store there is a bad thing as long as the old K&G spot is redeveloped.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Kum and Go has now also bought the post office... Kum & Go buys Campustown post office | Ames Tribune

One step closer for them to build their new super-store. Hopefully Battle's can relocate somewhere in campustown, not sure where though. I wonder if their will contuinue to be a post office in campustown now, due to their financial issues I know the postal service had thought about closing that one before. Would kind of suck to have to drive all the way downtown to pick up a package.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I could be wrong but I don't think there will be a post office in the Campustown area anymore.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
But I believe Goodman has been more of a thorn in matters than a help. Guys like Jamie Larson are putting development in Ames on the forefront. He and people like Culhane.
You saying that Goodman is a putz?

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
Why does campus town need a huge gas station? The city of Ames has repeatedly failed to do something worth while with the area, ISU has to have the worst campustown in the country.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why does campus town need a huge gas station? The city of Ames has repeatedly failed to do something worth while with the area, ISU has to have the worst campustown in the country.

Evidently Kum n go sees a demand or they wouldnt be building.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Kum&Go isn't about the gas I think. Think how much energy drinks, nachos, etc etc they will sell, and that's where the profit is anyway.

Son & I were talking about the old CBS still being vacant despite being prime real estate. He thought if they made it some kind of convenience store or dollar store, it would make a killing.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Kum&Go isn't about the gas I think. Think how much energy drinks, nachos, etc etc they will sell, and that's where the profit is anyway.

Son & I were talking about the old CBS still being vacant despite being prime real estate. He thought if they made it some kind of convenience store or dollar store, it would make a killing.
Bingo. Kum & Go will put in a huge store with liquor and everything and make a killing.

The old Campus Bookstore location isn't going to sell for a LONG time if they think they're getting the $3 million they're asking for. Same story with the old Legends location.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Bingo. Kum & Go will put in a huge store with liquor and everything and make a killing.

The old Campus Bookstore location isn't going to sell for a LONG time if they think they're getting the $3 million they're asking for. Same story with the old Legends location.

Don't sell Floyd short. He'll sit there forever without getting what he asks for.
Still won't get it, but he'll sit there stubbornly.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Agree that the old CBS is an amazing location but anyone that's been in there knows its a very unique location. Too big to be a connivence store or restaurant. The whole split floor and basement thing is kinda awkward.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I hope no one buys CBS and the a-hole sits on it forever. I was in there shopping for Christmas gifts (t shirts and sweat shirts) and he sent some one outside to collect license plate info to get vehicles towed. Apparently they were very anal about their parking situation there.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Agree that the old CBS is an amazing location but anyone that's been in there knows its a very unique location. Too big to be a connivence store or restaurant. The whole split floor and basement thing is kinda awkward.

I could see it working as a bar/restaurant combo. (See Olde Main)

Get ready for the Hawkeye crap. Owner is a big donor to EIU.

Yeah, I doubt it....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron