Golfer/course liability

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When playing a company golf outing some buddies of ours were in the foursome ahead of us but kept screwing with us so we decided we needed to hit into them. (They were watching and egging us on so they knew it was coming.) I am a terrible golfer but apparently can hit pretty accurately when I have the proper incentive. Let's just say they stopped messing with us.

Another co-worker got a "birdie" on his very first round of golf at another company outing. He killed a goose with one of his line drive tee shots (direct hit to the head) so his foursome duct taped it to the front of his golf cart.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
A friend shattered a sliding glass window of an apartment when he slipped in wet conditions. The ball shot off the toe of his club and went through 2 layers of glass. The management was waiting for us when we got to the clubhouse. My friend gave his information as he was liable for the damage. The apartment complex never contacted him and took care of the damages on their own.

This was my experience - hit a house with a slice, damaged the siding - missed a window by about a foot. Guy came out, gave him my info, but he never contacted me to collect.

And yes, your homeowners policy should cover, assuming it has a general liability feature. You may have a deductible...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I guess my feeling is that if the home owners really don't like it, the golf course could put up a big ugly net or fence to stop those balls. But I'm sure the view of the course has more benefit to the home owner than the inconvenience of a stray golf ball.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
The course, homeowner, and sometimes even the police will usually tell a golfer they are liable for any damage caused by an errant shot. If a claim is made against a golfer's homeowners policy the insurance company will usually pay it. However, from a legal perspective the golfer is very often not liable for the damage (if they are attempting to play the course in the intended manner).

Reactions: octaviouspoon

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Interesting thread. Anyone ever played Sydney Marovitz Golf Course in Chicago? I played it dozens of times when living there and the 8th hole strikes me as a hole that could very likely have about 10 to 20 drives A DAY slice (for a right handed golfer) off the tee and fly into oncoming traffic on Lake Shore Drive. It's a par 4 where everyone takes driver and it runs right next to Lake Shore Drive. It has big net on the right hand side of the hole, but not big enough. Given the HEAVY traffic that course gets and the HEAVY traffic on Lake Shore Drive, there have to be frequent incidents of golf ball / car accidents.

In fact, I'm a decent golfer, but I swung way too hard one time and am quite confident the ball sliced and flew right over the net and right into north bound traffic. Heck, it could have made it all the way to south bound traffic. Whoops. Thankfully the statute of limitations has run on any damage that occurred in case my victim is lurking on this message board;-)

Anyone else ever sliced one over the net on Marovitz / the old Waveland Park Golf Course? What other courses have you all played that have a high probability of errant shots causing damage to non-golf course things located next to the course? Would be interesting to hear more stories.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was in PHX and pushed a drive down an oncoming three lane expressway. I was nervous watching the ball bounce around the cars on the road. The expressway was quite a bit lower than the course.

• Informative
Reactions: Chitowncy

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I was in PHX and pushed a drive down an oncoming three lane expressway. I was nervous watching the ball bounce around the cars on the road. The expressway was quite a bit lower than the course.

Which course? That's pretty much what happened to my drive referenced above. I think it bounced between traffic, but it was hard to see. Lots of cars. It was nerve-wracking for a second.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Which course? That's pretty much what happened to my drive referenced above. I think it bounced between traffic, but it was hard to see. Lots of cars. It was nerve-wracking for a second.

It was a few years ago and my wife’s BIL drove me to one, so I have no idea what it was.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
I just don't see it as black and white. I wouldn't be anxious to provide any of my info or my HO info.

I'd put the ball in their court if they want to take action. There has to be assumed risk for living on a golf course.

I wonder if some have HOAs that take care of damage caused by golf balls?

As someone in the insurance business I would advise clients to provide insurance info but NEVER admit fault and let it all play itself out.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My favorite "house in the way" hole is 4th at Shady Oaks in Ackworth, Iowa. Dumpy little course with a fun layout and a good value if you're in the mood to throw a case of beer in the rack of your cart and play without a shirt.

Anyway, it's about as severe of a dogleg as you can have. Essentially, you can either play the dog leg, or you can try and eliminate the dog leg, hit it over the curve, and as long as you carry it about 220 you'll be on the green or near it. Problem is, that line takes you directly over and old dilapidated house. Like literally, the perfect line is over the peak of the roof. Do they knock this old house down? Nah. They leave it there like some kind of damn mini-golf hole.

• Funny
Reactions: Chitowncy

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
As someone in the insurance business I would advise clients to provide insurance info but NEVER admit fault and let it all play itself out.

You can "admit fault" and apologize all you want. The insurance carrier still has to do its own investigation and make a determination if you are at fault or not. The facts of the loss matter, not really what's said after.

• Agree
Reactions: octaviouspoon

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Your homeowner's liability coverage will take care of it after deductible. Umbrella liability would kick in after that depending on damages/injuries.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
You can "admit fault" and apologize all you want. The insurance carrier still has to do its own investigation and make a determination if you are at fault or not. The facts of the loss matter, not really what's said after.

I'm just saying we tell our clients never admit fault. It is not "technically" incriminating yourself, but its hard to come back from when you have already "taken responsibility". Like many others have said already, it varies from course to course.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron