GMac's explosion at the game today

nboltz

Apr 9, 2006
Ames
I was just wondering if anyone had a better look at what happened during one of the early time outs in the game today when the team wasn't playing very well. My seats are in the second row of the balcony and I could hear the clipboard break as it hit the floor and what appeared to be GMac calling out Brackins for not playing with heart.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
I saw and heard it too, all the way in the balcony. Unfortunately, it didn't help with Craig's game, helped his heart maybe, but not his game.

S

st8

I believe I was ***** deep in a clone cone at that point, but the guy who sits next to me said that McD was reaming the entire team for not giving it 100% and spiked the clipboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Well somethings got to give. I'm wondering, however, if getting upset and reaming the team is going to end well. I guess there's nothing else he can do. Listening to GM's post game interview, you don't sense he's angry with the team just dissappointed.

Wahoo

Nov 27, 2006
I could see why McD was upset. That was the worst defensive and rebounding effort I've seen from a Cyclone team.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
Love to hear this. Is is very frustrating as a coach not to see your team give 100% during a game. Sometimes it takes that to get them fired up. I would like to see GMac maybe get a technical to get the players and the team fired up.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
GMac can yell all he wants to, but it's the players who have to step it up, he can't do it for them.

That was an embarrassing effort yesterday. Boozer was our only guy giving even close to 100% out there. Our rebounding was non existent. Defense was even worse. Our half court trap on defense does nothing but create wide open shots for the opposing team.... I don't understand why we even do it?

Question is... do our guys even care about GMac anymore? Do they want to get him fired or what? Because that's exactly what's going to happen if they don't start giving an effort. Heck, Brackins and Gilstrap should at the very least be giving 100% to improve their draft stock if nothing else?

There's only so much that GMac can do. These guys have to show some pride in themselves and ISU. They are getting a free ride in school... they had better start playing like they deserve it.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Greg really sounds like he doesn't know what to do with this group anymore or how to get them to play hard. You can see it in the post games all the way back to the UNI game. Hell he even has said a couple times the effort is lacking by a few guys. He is frustrated and at this point beyond ****** off. It is his job to get them to play hard, but for whatever reason he just hasn't been able to and I am sure that is killing him. Seems like we play hard for 5 or 6 minutes and then let up again. They just don't play hard enough long enough.

So far this team just hasn't looked like one of Greg's teams. In my opinion, up until this year, I never felt any of his teams lacked effort. Very strange how this team plays, just can't figure it out.

Reactions: CycloneErik

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I believe I was ***** deep in a clone cone at that point

DoingItWrong6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
I was just wondering if anyone had a better look at what happened during one of the early time outs in the game today when the team wasn't playing very well. My seats are in the second row of the balcony and I could hear the clipboard break as it hit the floor and what appeared to be GMac calling out Brackins for not playing with heart.

Yes, he did get after Brackins. In fact, he was close to getting in Brackin's face from my vantage point in sec. 113 behind the bench.

I was very pleased to see coach finally show some fire with the lackadaisical play that has been going on.

I'm also glad to see that he is finally calling out his guards. IMO, their play has been a significant portion of our problems with both scoring and defense.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

He yelled at Brackins for lack of effort and getting up and down the floor. Said something about taking smart shots. Told them to quit playing not to lose and play to win. That's what I caught from the second row of CA.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
The game in Chicago coupled with the flight delays hurt both ISU and Duke. I wouldn't get overly concerned about this game intensity. I am more concerned that we have enough players to field a team by the end of the season.

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
I heard the clipboard hit the floor.....wasn't sure what it was until the wife pointed to McDermott getting on Brackins. Good to see some fire out of the coach, let's hope it helps.

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007
He must have saw the experiement thread from yesterday morning. Well, that experiment kinda failed. Does that yahoo poster have anymore ideas for Coach McDermott to try?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Craig is not the main problem. Listening to John and Eric yesterday, they said that Craig is their best passer to the post. That has to be pretty frustrating. Maybe he could pass it to himself?

Eric has touched on this several times this year - that Brackins just isn't getting the ball when he should be. Yes, I've heard him say before that Craig is the best passer to the post. Are the others jealous of the attention he gets?

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Ya i saw and heard it yesterday too from the balcony, saw the marker laying on the floor after he threw the white board on the ground lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron