Georges Niang - Hang his jersey on Senior Day

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA
This may be unpopular due to the Ejim jersey retirement thread but I don't care. This young man has been THE instrumental piece of turning around Cyclone bball, and is one of the greatest ISU players of all time. Would be very proud as a fan to honor him immediately!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
He won't have technically graduated yet which is a requirement. It'll be a few years before we see it hung up like it or not.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I agree it's a no-brainer, but there are some hoops to jump through first. The minute Fizer graduates his will be retired too. I really do think Victor Alexander should be considered too before we get into the Ejim discussion.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
He won't have technically graduated yet which is a requirement. It'll be a few years before we see it hung up like it or not.

I would argue that hanging a jersey is different than retiring his number. Hang his jersey on Senior Day and then retire his number later.

Other schools (see UNC), have 2 separate distinctions (jersey retired and number retired) with number retired reserved for the best of the best.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Fizer, Ejim, and Niang all should without a doubt be up there. I heard the hang it on senior day last night on the radio but that might be a little quick.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
I agree it's a no-brainer, but there are some hoops to jump through first. The minute Fizer retires his will be retired too. I really do think Victor Alexander should be considered too before we get into the Ejim discussion.
Pollard tweeted that you have to graduate to have your jersey retired.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
This may be unpopular due to the Ejim jersey retirement thread but I don't care. This young man has been THE instrumental piece of turning around Cyclone bball, and is one of the greatest ISU players of all time. Would be very proud as a fan to honor him immediately!

Agree completely, hang it up!

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Rules are made to be changed
attachment.php

Attachments

• tumblr_nphb9i6uMs1qksk74o1_500.gif
    tumblr_nphb9i6uMs1qksk74o1_500.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 912

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While there is no question in my mind he's one of the top 3-4 Cyclones of all time, you can't hang it so quickly. The whole idea of hanging a jersey is that it's permanent and should never be taken lightly; it's a spot earned over time and given long after the excitement of the day has waned.

While it is clear that it should be hung when the time comes, it's disrespectful to the process to try and act on emotion rather than follow the tradition and meaning of the act. I hate most "traditions", but this is one that is necessary for many reasons.

That probably doesn't make a lot of sense (typing on my phone while in line), but the jist is that you don't enter Bryant into the NBA HOF the day he retires and circumvent the process, just like you don't hang an NCAA banner for Kentucky when they're 38-0, just like you don't hang Niang's jersey before he's fulfilled the overall requirements (i.e. graduating) and the dust has settled on his accomplishments.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It would be dumb to hang it on senior night. What would be the point? Ask Georges, I guarantee he would say no.

How is this still a conversation?

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA

Fred? Royce? Melvin?

Georges obviously should have his jersey retired but there were others before him that helped turn the program around. That Royce team was pretty darn good...

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Fred? Royce? Melvin?

Georges obviously should have his jersey retired but there were others before him that helped turn the program around. That Royce team was pretty darn good...

Objectively...they were good, but not 'pretty darn good'. They were probably the best of the 8 seeds in the NCAA tourney, but got waxed by a juggernaught UK team that won the championship in the first weekend.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
It's senior day, not Georges Niang day. There are other seniors to honor which this would distract from. Let him come back to a roaring ovation next year.