Georges Niang - Hang his jersey on Senior Day

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Objectively...they were good, but not 'pretty darn good'. They were probably the best of the 8 seeds in the NCAA tourney, but got waxed by a juggernaught UK team that won the championship in the first weekend.
I wish we had a different match up that bracket. We should've went deep that year .

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This may be unpopular due to the Ejim jersey retirement thread but I don't care. This young man has been THE instrumental piece of turning around Cyclone bball, and is one of the greatest ISU players of all time. Would be very proud as a fan to honor him immediately!

Where's the Delorean?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This may be unpopular due to the Ejim jersey retirement thread but I don't care. This young man has been THE instrumental piece of turning around Cyclone bball, and is one of the greatest ISU players of all time. Would be very proud as a fan to honor him immediately!

So this puts me in the terrible position of having to argue AGAINST Georges Niang, whom I adore. But let's cool it with this kind of talk. Maybe if this team does something crazy over the top like a national championship game appearance, then we talk about it. Until then, what's the rush? There seems little doubt it will happen so who cares when? Why not wait 10 years so he can come back and we can appreciate him then?

Right now it's a bit of a distraction. And imagine what would happen if it were announced that his number would indeed be retired this season and then we flamed out in the NCAAs again (and the inevitable anger that would follow). That would leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Enjoy the here and now. We've got the rest of time to celebrate his career.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Where did this whole idea come from? I have seen it tossed around on here a lot lately, and it just seems really stupid and a weird thing to do.
Senior day is going to be special enough, and it is definitely not the time to retire a jersey. Wait a few years, invite him back for the big day, and make a huge party out of it.

It needs to be done and will be done, this just isn't the time for it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Fred? Royce? Melvin?

Georges obviously should have his jersey retired but there were others before him that helped turn the program around. That Royce team was pretty darn good...

Will always believe the most instrumental person involved in turning this program around was Coach Orr.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Will always believe the most instrumental person involved in turning this program around was Coach Orr.

Without Orr turning the program around the first time, Fred probably never goes to ISU and comes home to turn the program around the second time.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Without Orr turning the program around the first time, Fred probably never goes to ISU and comes home to turn the program around the second time.

Orr's progress led directly to the Elite 8 team that got screwed in Auburn Hills. We weren't down that long or nearly as far as we were when Coach Orr arrived.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Pollard tweeted that you have to graduate to have your jersey retired.

He needs to get over that. Fizer needs to have his number hanging. So many great Cyclones have their names up there, yet one of, if not the best ever is left out because he went to the NBA. He also still supports ISU and it is not like he got in trouble while at ISU.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
i like georges and all, but why all the love this week? great player yes- but let him finish the season and focus on a march run before hanging his jersey. leading a victory tonight and winning the 1st tourney game in the ncaa's is a good start.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
He needs to get over that. Fizer needs to have his number hanging. So many great Cyclones have their names up there, yet one of, if not the best ever is left out because he went to the NBA. He also still supports ISU and it is not like he got in trouble while at ISU.

At the same time, there's nothing wrong with having "longevity" as a factor, especially for an honor that's intended to honor the totality of a player's career. Hanging a jersey is a reward for more than being a good player.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
At the same time, there's nothing wrong with having "longevity" as a factor, especially for an honor that's intended to honor the totality of a player's career. Hanging a jersey is a reward for more than being a good player.

He had a good career, he just cut it short one season. He was one of the few first team AA's in school history. He lead the team to their best season ever. Exceptions need to be made. Its not 1970 anymore where all good players stay in college for 4 years.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Those that want to jump on this "Georges now!" train are really serving to disrespect the ISU greats who've gone before him. Georges will certainly be up there, but the Johnny years were pretty amazing (esp. considering how bad the program was on his arrival) - I'm assuming many of the "Georges now!" crew are too young to recall those times. Jeff Grayer and Jeff Hornacek were incredible players. They also advanced further in the NCAAs than Georges ever has (injured for win over UNC). I don't say that as a slight to Georges, but this coronation is a little early. Melvin hasn't even been recognized. Georges has been a great ambassador and player for ISU, but give it due time.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Somebody in the balcony should throw a rope into the rafters and hoist Big Georges up there!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
The rules, guidelines and policies are established by the Univeristy and the Athletic Department and can be changed by them. It's not like they are a law or something. As far as I know, there are no NCAA or Big 12 rules limiting what a school can do with this or their "Halls of Fame".

I think the way to do it is for JP and maybe the University President to appoint a committee that could review "special cases" in all sports. IMHO opinion, you don't retire a jersey number because someone went to school for 4 years and got a degree. You do it because of their abilities and contributions on the field or court.

MissionIndy

Apr 30, 2014
Grayer got his jersey hung way before he graduated. He just graduated within last 10 years I believe. So obviously these "rules" have not been consistent forever. This is a Pollard rule I am guessing. Niang and Ejim need to be up there soon.