General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
You could have an action packed period with shots and scrambles and no score, so not sure that is the answer. What I saw way too much was whistle, wrestler backs up to edge then holds edge. They need to figure out how to stop the back up to the edge strategy imo. I think something like a 3 count if your heels are to the edge or something and stalling. Idk but that style of wrestling sucks to watch.
Agree with the edge wrestling.

The action packed no scoring 3 minute periods are very rare. Usually 1 wrestler or the other is the aggressor & hopefully got a stall warning on his opponent

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
Agree with the edge wrestling.

The action packed no scoring 3 minute periods are very rare. Usually 1 wrestler or the other is the aggressor & hopefully got a stall warning on his opponent
Should we allow push out points than. I think so if guys are going to wrestle edge of the mat

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Complete novice here, but how about adding something like riding time for spending the most time in the center circle of the mat? For every minute a wrestler racks up in the center of the mat more than his opponent, he gets a point. Again I'm a complete novice, but it seems like it would be harder to stall if you're forced to stay in the middle of the mat. They have to do something to reduce the impact of actual stalling and the ambiguity of calling stalling.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
They also boo him for his mishap with PEDs, and the fact that he’s 26 years old.

FWIW his age doesn’t bother me. He played by the rules to be at his age in college.
He also gets booed because of his coach. Smith has turned into one of the least likeable coaches in the sport. Between his incessant whining and the way a lot of his guys wrestle the cumulative effect gets taken out in Fix, who's been the poster child for OSU wrestling for the last decade. Fair or not, such is life.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Any coaching carousel moves that'd get the portal cooking?

Up here in Madison the rumor is still that Reader may be off to CMU, Hamiti might (probably?) be headed to the portal and a possiblity Bono is shown the exit (or potentially taking an assistant job out east). The perhaps more unlikely rumor tossed out was Cody Sanderson taking the HC job in Madison, but not sure I'd put any stock in that.

Not sure anyone too appealing on the UW roster however outside of Hamiti. Braxton Amos perhaps if he still plans on being a 197.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Any coaching carousel moves that'd get the portal cooking?

Up here in Madison the rumor is still that Reader may be off to CMU, Hamiti might (probably?) be headed to the portal and a possiblity Bono is shown the exit (or potentially taking an assistant job out east). The perhaps more unlikely rumor tossed out was Cody Sanderson taking the HC job in Madison, but not sure I'd put any stock in that.

Not sure anyone too appealing on the UW roster however outside of Hamiti. Braxton Amos perhaps if he still plans on being a 197.
I have heard to Reader to CMU rumor a lot at Nationals. It is assumed that if that is true, Hamati will transfer somewhere. I suppose it depends if he wants to go 165 or 174. I assume we would want him at 165 and MJ to continue to bulk up for 174, but not sure on that.

That was kind of the same story with Gomez last year. We wanted him at 141 and Michigan at 149. Gomez wanted to be at 149

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Is it true that Fix didn’t score an offensive point in all of his championship appearances?

And didn’t have one in the quarters, semis, or finals this year. The worst.
I mean I wouldn’t call him the worst. He’s definitely a good kid and has strong values. Im sure he was putting a ton of pressure on himself and he was ridiculed by the crowd.

I think he was trying to take the path of least resistance to try to win it all by wrestling defensively and it backfired. He shelled up and he will probably learn from this and be a better freestyle wrestler and coach.

I didn’t like the way he wrestled against Frost and Rivera is closer to the worst for stopping that match among other terrible calls but Daton’s poor wrestling kind of helps everyone speak of things that need changed - which is good. Lots of takeaways from how some of his matches went and how we can evolve to be a better product.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Anyone know if Keckeisen and Voelker are looking to jump up to 197 and HWT, respectively, next year? Keckeisen has been slow/gassed getting back to center for a few weeks that I’ve been watching him and just curious what their offseason weights are and how they'd both do on full feed?

I’ll ask tonight

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
Askren made it sound like he’s staying at 184 and no indication of 197 on the FRL today. Also Ben was a sad boy today after his golden boys both lost to David. They hardly had anything to say about David because Ben was so sad. Talked about Mitchell a decent amount but hardly anything about the Champ
Shocker. I never listen to FRL because it seems like they never talk about Iowa state or even mention them. Doesn’t shock me all they wanna talk about is Askrens golden boys

Reactions: buf87 and stuclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron