MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Someone on /r/braves perfectly summed up how I've felt about the audio work with Sunday night baseball for some time now! HAHA it's perfect! lol

It's overstimulating. Cool concept but it's a little much. Don't get me started on the booth commentary....

ESPN Sunday Night broadcasts are so bad, I can't listen anymore--and I've tried multiple times. I think their target audience is a 6th-grader who has a passing interest in the sport, but not a lot of knowledge or experience. And, yes, have to have the sound effects for that age.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
ESPN Sunday Night broadcasts are so bad, I can't listen anymore--and I've tried multiple times. I think their target audience is a 6th-grader who has a passing interest in the sport, but not a lot of knowledge or experience. And, yes, have to have the sound effects for that age.
The whole booth is so cringy.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The ump behind the plate tonight in the Yankee/Red Sox game is going to look REALLY bad if they actually review how these guys call balls and strikes. Woof. Not even consistent in the same at bat. Brutal.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
7th straight win for the Rox and are 8-1 during the current home stand. Gonna to be a tough June with 13 games against division leading teams (Cubs and Dodgers).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for sharing the Kimbrel article. Can't see the Twins putting out north of $50 million for three years, which is reportedly what he is asking for. A one year deal for a high dollar reliever would make more sense for the Twins.
I think a trade for a relief pitcher is more likely once this year's sellers are identified.

Seems like a better move since the division is so weak and they are off to a big lead. They don't need to deal to win the division and can wait to deal later to strengthen playoff odds. IMHO.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Seems like a better move since the division is so weak and they are off to a big lead. They don't need to deal to win the division and can wait to deal later to strengthen playoff odds. IMHO.

It's not really about what division they are in. It's more about what the Twins think they can afford and what makes sense for a small market team. They just unloaded a top end contract in Mauer and I don't see them going back there and trying to out bid the the big money teams for Kuechel or Kimbrell. But, we'll find out in a couple of days.
My guess is that they'll trade for SF's Smith.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's not really about what division they are in. It's more about what the Twins think they can afford and what makes sense for a small market team. They just unloaded a top end contract in Mauer and I don't see them going back there and trying to out bid the the big money teams for Kuechel or Kimbrell. But, we'll find out in a couple of days.
My guess is that they'll trade for SF's Smith.

These two guys still being out there and available does make for an interesting situation, for sure.

Disagree a little on the division as it does pay into it some. In any other division someone would at least still be in reach of the Twin or have promise of being able to do so. If they were in a three way logjam for 1st they might decide to make a big play now to strengthen what appears to be their weakest traditional link especially if they could manage a one year deal. Too agree with you, I don't think they would even than because of the desire not to spend. As the standings are today, there is basically no compelling need for them make a big move. They can do a late season deal if one is available that could help them like the Cubs and Cleveland did a few years ago. I am also not quite as sold as all of the experts that the bullpen can't work the way it is.

Going to be interesting to see, once the draft choice loss is removed, just how much teams are willing to pay for these two guys. I'd be okay with a one or two year deal for Kuechel as a Yankee fan but only because of all of the injuries. I wouldn't want to get stuck with him for a bunch of years, he's like a #3. Solid but no ace. That's a lot of money he wants for a middle of the rotation guy.

#bored Sunday Morning ramble :rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Only five days before the Yankee release Kendrys Morales. :D

Woof. Get why they gave it a roll but he's been beyond awful. Think Yank GM thought maybe he was Midas himself after low cost deals for Urshela, Voit and even Maybin but nobody can be THAT lucky.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.....Disagree a little on the division as it does pay into it some. In any other division someone would at least still be in reach of the Twin or have promise of being able to do so. If they were in a three way logjam for 1st they might decide to make a
big play now to strengthen what appears to be their weakest traditional link especially if they could manage a one year deal.....
#bored Sunday Morning ramble

Don't know what the new Twins brain trust are convincing Pohlad to do. I'd love see them go after either guy, but it doesn't seem to fit their plan.
As far the weak vs. strong division argument (in a fun way) this would mean Tampa Bay would make a strong push for Kuechel or Kimbrell. Like the Twins, I just don't see a small market team being able to afford either one. They couldn't even afford Cron.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don't know what the new Twins brain trust are convincing Pohlad to do. I'd love see them go after either guy, but it doesn't seem to fit their plan.
As far the weak vs. strong division argument (in a fun way) this would mean Tampa Bay would make a strong push for Kuechel or Kimbrell. Like the Twins, I just don't see a small market team being able to afford either one. They couldn't even afford Cron.

Tampa Bay is actually in touch with both but I think their chances are slim. Not because of the money, I think most teams are going to be offering about the same, but because some of the suitors are more traditional "powers". Even the small market Twins, with World Series that are not ancient history, have baseball cachet and tradition the Rays do not. I think both Twins and Rays can afford either on a short term. Rumor is Kuechel may just get a remainder of the season deal. Of course, what a team can afford is not the same as what they are willing to spend.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Clint Frazier is just butchering it up in right field. Has been for several weeks. Woof!

Reminder of how good an outfielder Aaron Judge is, especially for a guy as big as he is.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty quiet on the rumor or news front regarding the K & K free agent boys. Guess the boys are still wanting to sell high. :rolleyes: Seen some reports that Yanks won't pay Starter K what he is asking.

Lot of local chatter about the Twins and Reliever K. Not sure if real or just click bait.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Pretty quiet on the rumor or news front regarding the K & K free agent boys. Guess the boys are still wanting to sell high. :rolleyes: Seen some reports that Yanks won't pay Starter K what he is asking.

Lot of local chatter about the Twins and Reliever K. Not sure if real or just click bait.

Surprisingly quiet. Didn't think either guy would make it past the first day. The longer it goes, the better it looks for the Twins. I'm still hoping for the one year deal with Reliever K., which I think has about a 25% chance of happening.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The first shoe drops and it's Kimbrel to the Cub$. Shocked that one of the big market, big money clubs signs him.
Will be interesting to see what the terms are and if the Cub$ are now maxed out after signing him.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The first shoe drops and it's Kimbrel to the Cub$. Shocked that one of the big market, big money clubs signs him.
Will be interesting to see what the terms are and if the Cub$ are now maxed out after signing him.

They were talking three years and $43M in the booth in the game I am watching. I lot of moola considering he probably will pitch half this season. Not sure if that's the dollar amount total or if some of that is prorated for this year.

So much for the one year deals that some were speculating about.