MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I saw three years for $45 million, so it's in the neighborhood. Didn't think paying a one inning guy that kind of cash was ever going to be the Twins' new brain trust's MO.
I'll be watching SF's Smith and Washington's Doolittle as possible future Twins.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I saw three years for $45 million, so it's in the neighborhood. Didn't think paying a one inning guy that kind of cash was ever going to be the Twins' new brain trust's MO.
I'll be watching SF's Smith and Washington's Doolittle as possible future Twins.

Better for them to look at a "rental" like the Cubs got with Chapman. Costly, lost Gleyber Torres, but probably won them the World Series.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Better for them to look at a "rental" like the Cubs got with Chapman. Costly, lost Gleyber Torres, but probably won them the World Series.

Agree, but I don't know what sellers stud closers that are out there on the last year of their contracts.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
This year is a wash money wise since Zobrist is likely off the books for the rest of the season. Kimbrel's salary simply takes its place. His higher salaries are in the next two seasons, but the Cubs have a lot of money coming off the books the next two seasons. It's a pretty sensible deal for a guy who should be a top closer for a few more seasons.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Rockies started Peter Lambert today, a guy making his MLB debut which usually goes really good or really bad. Fortunately for Rockies it was a good one as he gets the with an impressive stat line of 7 IP | 4 H | 1 ER | 1 BB | 9 K and got his first mlb hit as a batter in his first mlb at bat.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This Yankee fan does love him some DJ LeMahieu. .323 and 40 RBI after tonight. No way Yanks are in 1st without this guy.

I am a little old school and hate looking at a box score without somebody hitting .300.

And they get to cut that stiff Morales loose tomorrow when they activate Didi. Yay!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

One year deal as speculated, $13M as prorated from $20M. Rumor is there are medical concerns and some teams, like the Yanks, wouldn't pay as much (maybe looking at the prorated from $17.9M which was the qualifying offer. Plus big ass tax on the Yanks because it would put them heavy into spending tax zone. Anyway, interesting.

Wouldn't you love to know the behind the scenes dealing on this?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Kepler has three taters for the Twins last night against the Native Americans. What surprised me was the fact that he has already done this once.

I was really starting to wonder if he'd ever blossom, but the Twins have been patient and it looks like they're going to be rewarded.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
One year deal as speculated, $13M as prorated from $20M. Rumor is there are medical concerns and some teams, like the Yanks, wouldn't pay as much (maybe looking at the prorated from $17.9M which was the qualifying offer. Plus big ass tax on the Yanks because it would put them heavy into spending tax zone. Anyway, interesting.

The beard lives to see another day!

• Funny
Reactions: BoxsterCy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Kepler has three taters for the Twins last night against the Native Americans. What surprised me was the fact that he has already done this once.

I was really starting to wonder if he'd ever blossom, but the Twins have been patient and it looks like they're going to be rewarded.
Against Cleveland, in Cleveland no less!

Reactions: SCyclone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
One year deal as speculated, $13M as prorated from $20M. Rumor is there are medical concerns and some teams, like the Yanks, wouldn't pay as much (maybe looking at the prorated from $17.9M which was the qualifying offer....

What I would like to know behind the scenes-- did the "Ready to strike" Twins brain trust ever make an
offer? I've seen only three-Braves at $20 million, Yankees at $17.9 and Houston at $15.
I've thought from the beginning the Twins were never really going after these big salaries and were all talk.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What I would like to know behind the scenes-- did the "Ready to strike" Twins brain trust ever make an
offer? I've seen only three-Braves at $20 million, Yankees at $17.9 and Houston at $15.
I've thought from the beginning the Twins were never really going after these big salaries and were all talk.

No way they were all in on Keuchel. I think they should have been in on Kimbrel if he was a one year contract but that multiple year deal had to take them out. If they didn't try and get the reliever at a one year I'd call them cheap. Passing on the huge multiple year would make them prudent. I am in the camp that the Twins get a little too thrifty and try too much on the cheap but opportunities like the current team has presented them really need them to be all in. If I had to guess I'd go they were never serious about either but went through the motions as fan PR.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yanks activated Didi Gregorius today. :D

And than did this instead of releasing Kendrys Morales:

"Infielder Thairo Estrada was optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Troy Tulowitzki was transferred to the 60-day injured list."

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Morales of the .216 average and single homer.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't see this one coming. Another Yankee off the roster but at least he isn't hurt! She lives stateside with him so at least he isn't flying to Japan. Break for the Indians who will get to see some can of corn starting on Sunday.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And I think the balloon has to burst at some point for my Yankees. They just put Domingo German on the IL. Not shocked, he went from unittalbe to bombable in an instant. IL back to 13. Been a fan since the 1960's and never seen anything like this string of injuries. 1st place has been a miracle and I can't see how it's sustainable with that many guys out and tied with Rays and Red Sox in hot pursuit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron