MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Spring training wraps up today and rosters are mostly set so let's kick off the 2019 season.

What surprises/disappointments for your squad?

My Yankees open with Severino, Sabathia, Betances, Ellsbury (aka Glassbury) and Hicks on the DL. Of course Tommy John **** already caught Didi Gregorius and starting pitcher Jordon Montgomery last season. :(

Clint Frazier was such as bust in spring training that he couldn’t make the roster when they needed an outfielder and Yanks had to trade for a minor league journeyman can of corn from the Rockies with inflated PCL stats, Mike Tauchman (who dat?). Guessing they are trying to catch lightning in a jar again like they did with Luke Voit. Not thinking much of this move or the outfield depth. Did add veteran lefty Gio Gonzalez to a minor league contract which I like as pitching insurance. Mission is to survive April and get to May with more healthy bodies. Boxster’s prerequisite to a good season, stay healthy, ain’t starting well.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw this graphic on injuries. Check out where your guys graph out.

image__32_.png

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Who do you guys have for division winners and playoff teams? There’s going to be some tight races, especially in the National League.

NL Division Winners: Cardinals, Dodgers, Nationals with the Cubs and Brewers being the Wild Cards
AL Division Winners: Indians, Yankees, Astros with the Red Sox and Twins being the Wild Cards

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
NL

Phillies
Cubs
Dodgers

Cardinals
Nationals

AL
Yankees
Indians
Astros

Red Sox
A's

Dodgers over Phillies
Cubs over Cardinals

Cubs over Dodgers

Astros over A's
Yankees over Indians

Astros over Yankees

Astros over Cubs

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Disappointed that the Os don't appear in any of those division/wildcard winners.

Gonna be a long season at my house. Hoping to win 65 games. How sad is that?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't take long for the first blown call of the year. Top of first and Oriole runner going from 1st to 2nd is hit by batted ball. Two umps stare at the play and make no call. Yanks erase the mistake by throwing the guy out at 3rd. Oh, my.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wonder if umps are even embarrassed when they see some of their ball/strike calls on replay. Dude behind the plate just punched out Greg Bird on a pitch that was WAY outside (as in not close) and then immediately got in Bird's grill before Bird even had a chance to say anything. Like he knew he blew it so went on the offense, or, maybe (more likely) Bird said something on his previous strikeouts and was just trying to show him up like so many umps cannot resist doing. Good lord, so many bad umps with attitudes.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I wonder if umps are even embarrassed when they see some of their ball/strike calls on replay....

Does the league office review the K-Zone shots to evaluate how many missed calls each homeplate ump have? Keep the most blown call umps out of the post season, or better yet get rid of them?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron