Gazette: Insight Bowl not opposed to ISU-Iowa rematch

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Let's be realistic here. The Nebby team you saw this year is the shell of what it was even last year and even more so then the year before that. They lost a TON of talent on both sides of the ball, Crick(probably the best player on that team) missed the last half of the season pretty much, and they have a QB that throws the ball like a submarine style pitcher. It was obvious how far Nebraska had regressed watching a pretty weak Northwestern team take it to them on their home field with their freaking backup QB for most of it. Then watching Nebraska have to make a furious rally against that disaster called Ohio State.... all I can say is Wow!

They had regressed last year as well and still won 10 games. With that same Danny Fuentes at the helm. You guys love to hate on the B10, and it isn't that good, but it's not as bad as you guys claim it to be.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
They had regressed last year as well and still won 10 games. With that same Danny Fuentes at the helm. You guys love to hate on the B10, and it isn't that good, but it's not as bad as you guys claim it to be.

pretty much everyone not associated with the Big10. Fans, media, Jedi Knight.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Even if Iowa State wins, how is that a lose-lose?

It's not lose-lose.

If we win we gain very little. We already have bragging rights until next September.

If we lose we lose a lot. That W earlier in the year is completely erased in the minds of the fanbase and only the most outcome matters. Bragging rights are gone.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
There is no right or wrong here.....just opinion. It's easy to see either side. I think we beat them worst than the first time so, I'd love it.

But I want to go to the big apple for football and New Years Eve, so what do I know????

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I disagree completely.

You play someone else you have the ability to bring in a completely different part of the country that has potentially never even heard of ISU.
I highly doubt we brought in more than one recruit as a result of our game against Minnesota or any other bowl game.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
I don't want to play them again. However, if we did, I think the way our defense has been playing would crush the inept hawkeye offense. Didn't Burkhead alone have more carries last week than total offensive plays ran by Iowa?

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008
As a Hawk fan, I'd take a rematch mostly because I was at a wedding that day and missed a three overtime thriller. It would probably be really close again (even though ISU's defense is the only legit unit between both schools). And even an Iowa victory wouldn't make me claim that Iowa had a better season, but it would certainly make Iowa the slightly better team in a matchup this year and I understand Cyclone fans not wanting to deal with that outcome.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Beating Iowa in the regular season is way better than beating them in a bowl game no one outside of Iowans will watch.

I don't really care who they play as long as it's in a large warm city, except maybe NY. Not Shreveport or ******* Boise, I'll never go to those bowls again.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is no right or wrong here.....just opinion. It's easy to see either side. I think we beat them worst than the first time so, I'd love it.

But I want to go to the big apple for football and New Years Eve, so what do I know????

Uh, if we beat them, it is kind of hard to not beat them worse than a 3 OT win.:confused:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Overall, I'd have to say no-go on a bowl match up. If we beat them however, it would be pretty nice and they'd never hear the end of it. If we lost, it would really suck as we'd never hear the end of it.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
This has nothing to do with it being Iowa....I just don't want a rematch. SEE Alabama LSU. Nobody wants to see that again. Even though our game with Iowa was exciting...it's already happened. Give each team somebody else to play. NE -Washington a few years ago was just plain stupid. Fun that NE got smoked but dumb. The point of a bowl is to go play somebody you normally don't. This does not make sense.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
This has nothing to do with it being Iowa....I just don't want a rematch. SEE Alabama LSU. Nobody wants to see that again. Even though our game with Iowa was exciting...it's already happened. Give each team somebody else to play. NE -Washington a few years ago was just plain stupid. Fun that NE got smoked but dumb. The point of a bowl is to go play somebody you normally don't. This does not make sense.

This is how I feel as well. Experience another team, another fan base. It's always fun.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'd rather play someone who would put up a fight.:jimlad:

Seriously, I agree with prevoious comments about playing teams / interacting with fans that you normally don't get a chance to.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Oh, for pity's sake, they beat OSU and KSU though!:rolleyes: I understand that it's a new year, but they have nearly the same team as they did last year. They play a completely different schedule (just as they would have in the B12) and in a different conference for the first time....they have to adjust to new teams and new stadiums.

So you are saying you would beat Nebraska easily, eh? Interesting theory, but OK. I'm not impressed by Nebraska this year, but I wasn't impressed with them last year and they won a bunch of games in the B12. You beat the bottom of the B10 (IA) by 3 points. If you think you can mark down any game as a win is laughable, at best.

fify

Oct 18, 2011
I love it. Agree - we beat the Squawks once - pass on a rematch.

I actually think it'd be a good matchup. Say want you want about Ferentz but his bowl record is pretty good. I think the Hawks will be well prepared and if they're matched up with ISU they'll have a chip on their shoulder because of the loss.

I can't see a Rhoads coached team not being amped up for a bowl so I think it'd be another close game.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I highly doubt we brought in more than one recruit as a result of our game against Minnesota or any other bowl game.

Doubt all you want. Playing Iowa does ZERO for exposure. ZERO.

We need all we can get.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron