Gazette: Insight Bowl not opposed to ISU-Iowa rematch

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I don't agree that they've regressed. They started out subpar and have remained subpar throughout the season. With the exception of their win over an overrated Michigan team even the biggest hawk homer couldn't argue that any of their other wins are remotely impressive.

I agree with this. Iowa played the bottom of the barrel of the BCS with a schedule of (current BCS rank):

Indiana (112), Minnesota (89), Northwestern (63), Pitt (65), Purdue (66), Louisiana Monroe (104), Tennessee Tech (FCS).

It wasn't really a murderers row with 7 of the 12 teams being below Iowa (48). You stick Iowa in a conference like the B12 where the average BCS standing is 26.5 - there is no way they are bowling this year.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Newsflash: The 2011 season is being played in 2011. And, absolutely, this Nebraska team is worse than last year's team, which wasn't particularly good, divisional title notwithstanding. That team lost to Texas, A&M, and nearly to us, for pity's sake. This one got beat by Northwestern, nearly lost to Ohio State and didn't even stay in the building with a beatable Wisconsin!

If you were impressed by Nebraska this year, you haven't been watching them play for very long.

Oh, for pity's sake, they beat OSU and KSU though!:rolleyes: I understand that it's a new year, but they have nearly the same team as they did last year. They play a completely different schedule (just as they would have in the B12) and in a different conference for the first time....they have to adjust to new teams and new stadiums.

So you are saying you would beat Nebraska easily, eh? Interesting theory, but OK. I'm not impressed by Nebraska this year, but I wasn't impressed with them last year and they won a bunch of games in the B12. You beat the bottom of the B12 (KU) by 3 points. If you think you can mark down any game as a win is laughable, at best.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I agree with this. Iowa played the bottom of the barrel of the BCS with a schedule of (current BCS rank):

Indiana (112), Minnesota (89), Northwestern (63), Pitt (65), Purdue (66), Louisiana Monroe (104), Tennessee Tech (FCS).

It wasn't really a murderers row with 7 of the 12 teams being below Iowa (48). You stick Iowa in a conference like the B12 where the average BCS standing is 26.5 - there is no way they are bowling this year.

All you have to do is win 3 conference games and you can go bowling. There is definitely a way that happens.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

He is wrong, they are just really limited.

I actually think for as many holes as they have this year, that their coaches have done a pretty good job winning the games that they did win. I get that the conference is way down, instead of just overrated:cool:, but they are an undertalented football team that won 7 games.

I know that everyone hates kirkie now, but I thought other than the minny game, their staff did a pretty good job. Their biggest problem is that they can't overcome themselves, and step out of their boxes to try something different.

It was the same way with mac the mediocre.:sad:

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
He is wrong, they are just really limited.

I actually think for as many holes as they have this year, that their coaches have done a pretty good job winning the games that they did win. I get that the conference is way down, instead of just overrated:cool:, but they are an undertalented football team that won 7 games.

I know that everyone hates kirkie now, but I thought other than the minny game, their staff did a pretty good job. Their biggest problem is that they can't overcome themselves, and step out of their boxes to try something different.

It was the same way with mac the mediocre.:sad:

Right, which is why I don't think they regressed, they just weren't very good. I had a lot of hope for Coker coming off the bowl game last year...he is the one who has seemed to regress, if anything.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I can't, for the life of me, understand wanting to see a rematch. I like playing teams that we normally don't and no way I would actual travel to a bowl game to hang with Hawk fans.

Most of my friends are Hawk fans but most Hawk fans are not my friends.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Agree. I have no idea why people are being overly sensitive about this. It would be a great game between two rivals. What more do you want in a bowl game?
I'm not seeing any valid reason why we wouldn't want to play them. It would be a great thing for the state.
The big question is, would we break out Steele Jantz for the rematch?

List of valid reasons this whole idea is incredibly stupid...

1. National Exposure. One of the greatest things about making a bowl game is the national exposure the program receives. An Iowa State vs. Iowa matchup would generate no buzz outside the borders of the state of Iowa. Period.

2. Recruiting. Recruits will be watching bowl games. No offense to Iowa fans but their program has absolutely zero national buzz at this time. Iowa State on the other hand has national buzz all around it with CPR and the recent victory over the #2 ranked team in the country. A rematch against a team we have already beaten and who has no buzz on a national level currently will curb any momentum ISU has built this season in that regard. Once again.... outside of the borders of Iowa nobody will care to even turn on the tv to watch that game.

3. Rematches. Ask any college football fan how Nebraska's rematch with Washington went in the Holiday Bowl last year. They will probably look at you like you are crazy because 99.9% of college football fans across the country probably don't even know Nebraska or Washington even played in a bowl game last year. People hate rematches and they aren't going to pay attention to a matchup that they have already seen before that season. It creates zero excitement.

4. Fan experience. Part of the fun of bowl games is the opportunity to play against teams that you rarely if ever play against. ISU has played bowl games against TCU, Boise State, Miami(OH), Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Alabama in recent memory. How often does ISU get the opportunity to play programs like PITT or Alabama or Boise State? Try never outside of bowl games. Why would a fan of ISU or Iowa want to spend money on travel, hotel, food, booze, tickets, tailgaiting stuff, etc... to go see them play an instate school that they play every single year? Hell... save the money and just go see the game in Iowa City next year cause it will be the same damn thing. The only time any Iowa State or Iowa fan should want to see that matchup for the 2nd time in any season would be if they were playing against each other for the National Championship and that is never going to happen.

Anybody else that can think of more reasons feel free to tag on to this.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
ZERO interest in playing Iowa again. I mean we gain nothing from playing little brother...we should end the series. It's a no win situation. If we win, we beat a ****** team and no one cares, if we lose, we lost to a ****** team we shouldn't have lost to.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011

1. National Exposure. One of the greatest things about making a bowl game is the national exposure the program receives. An Iowa State vs. Iowa matchup would generate no buzz outside the borders of the state of Iowa. Period.

2. Recruiting. Recruits will be watching bowl games. No offense to Iowa fans but their program has absolutely zero national buzz at this time. Iowa State on the other hand has national buzz all around it with CPR and the recent victory over the #2 ranked team in the country. A rematch against a team we have already beaten and who has no buzz on a national level currently will curb any momentum ISU has built this season in that regard. Once again.... outside of the borders of Iowa nobody will care to even turn on the tv to watch that game.

3. Rematches. Ask any college football fan how Nebraska's rematch with Washington went in the Holiday Bowl last year. They will probably look at you like you are crazy because 99.9% of college football fans across the country probably don't even know Nebraska or Washington even played in a bowl game last year. People hate rematches and they aren't going to pay attention to a matchup that they have already seen before that season. It creates zero excitement.

4. Fan experience. Part of the fun of bowl games is the opportunity to play against teams that you rarely if ever play against. ISU has played bowl games against TCU, Boise State, Miami(OH), Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Alabama in recent memory. How often does ISU get the opportunity to play programs like PITT or Alabama or Boise State? Try never outside of bowl games. Why would a fan of ISU or Iowa want to spend money on travel, hotel, food, booze, tickets, tailgaiting stuff, etc... to go see them play an instate school that they play every single year? Hell... save the money and just go see the game in Iowa City next year cause it will be the same damn thing. The only time any Iowa State or Iowa fan should want to see that matchup for the 2nd time in any season would be if they were playing against each other for the National Championship and that is never going to happen.

Nope...I think you about covered it. You COULD make the argument if both teams were at the top of their conferences, and a rematch makes sense in a BCS-type bowl, but that's not the case here.

ISU has braggin' rights for the next 9 months. Why cut that short? Even if they win, they get braggin' rights for...9 more months.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
ZERO interest in playing Iowa again. I mean we gain nothing from playing little brother...we should end the series. It's a no win situation. If we win, we beat a ****** team and no one cares, if we lose, we lost to a ****** team we shouldn't have lost to.

I see what you did here.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa

An an ISU-Illinois or ISU-UCLA game is going to generate that much more "buzz"?I would understand what you're saying if we were going to a high-level bowl but not many bowls gain any kind of measurable national exposure anyway.
I highly doubt that many recruits will watch a bowl game either way. Again, other potential opponents like UCLA, Illinois, and Purdue have less "buzz". Nobody within any borders will care about ISU-Purdue.
Actually I think the game you're referencing was fairly highly rated. I think you're overrating how many people care about bowl games and take the time to consider who is actually playing outside of their favorite team. People who are going to watch ISU-Illinois will also watch ISU-Iowa.
This is really the only valid thing you brought up. Paying a large sum to travel to play Iowa sounds a little ridiculous but getting to beat a team we are constantly recruiting against makes up for that.
I'm not saying I absolutely want to play Iowa, I'm just saying they would be just as good an opponent as others. The talk about buzz, exposure, and recruiting really aren't valid because recruits and casual fans will either watch or not watch regardless of match up in most cases. For all the people complaining about having to "hang out" with Hawk fans, you're either being sensitive or aren't recognizing how much fun it would be to beat them again.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Wow.

Basically the same team that won the B12 North last year, right?

My god, get a grip.

Let's be realistic here. The Nebby team you saw this year is the shell of what it was even last year and even more so then the year before that. They lost a TON of talent on both sides of the ball, Crick(probably the best player on that team) missed the last half of the season pretty much, and they have a QB that throws the ball like a submarine style pitcher. It was obvious how far Nebraska had regressed watching a pretty weak Northwestern team take it to them on their home field with their freaking backup QB for most of it. Then watching Nebraska have to make a furious rally against that disaster called Ohio State.... all I can say is Wow!

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I'm not saying I absolutely want to play Iowa, I'm just saying they would be just as good an opponent as others. The talk about buzz, exposure, and recruiting really aren't valid because recruits and casual fans will either watch or not watch regardless of match up in most cases. For all the people complaining about having to "hang out" with Hawk fans, you're either being sensitive or aren't recognizing how much fun it would be to beat them again.

I disagree completely.

You play someone else you have the ability to bring in a completely different part of the country that has potentially never even heard of ISU.