Gastroparesis

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I was diagnosed with gastroparesis a few weeks ago. I had to change my diet to avoid anything with high fiber, high fat, fried foods or anything just difficult to digest. Is there anyone else with this condition? If so, I was wondering what ideas you have come up with for meals?

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I don’t have the condition, but you will want to stick with: No dairy no meat no fish no beans.

Foods easy to digest: Eat fruits, veggies, eggs, nuts.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
I don’t have the condition, but you will want to stick with: No dairy no meat no fish no beans.

Foods easy to digest: Eat fruits, veggies, eggs, nuts.
You can’t eat high fiber fruit and veggies with gasteoparesis. I know this because my sister has it. That’s how they figured it out actually because she was originally told to eat foods high in fiber not knowing what it was and then she became bloated in the process.

Try your best to control it with your diet but If you can’t, there are medications that help. I’m not an expert on the topic though by any means but can talk to her for additional info/tips.

Reactions: CloneHead

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I was diagnosed with gastroparesis a few weeks ago. I had to change my diet to avoid anything with high fiber, high fat, fried foods or anything just difficult to digest. Is there anyone else with this condition? If so, I was wondering what ideas you have come up with for meals?
How did they come to this? Curious as I tend to have some stomach stuff that bothers me as well. It hasn’t been right since my gb removal 14 years ago. They’re baffled.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
You can’t eat high fiber fruit and veggies with gasteoparesis. I know this because my sister has it. That’s how they figured it out actually because she was originally told to eat foods high in fiber not knowing what it was and then she became bloated in the process.

Try your best to control it with your diet but If you can’t, there are medications that help. I’m not an expert on the topic though by any means but can talk to her for additional info/tips.
Can she eat sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower?

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

They told me with fruit that I can have melon, banana, apple sauce, juice or smoothies. But no raw fruits (other than banana, melon). For veggies, I can’t have ones with skin like green beans (or any bean for that matter) or corn. I can have carrots, peppers, asparagus, onions (maybe a few others) as long as they are WELL cooked. White meat (fish and poultry) is ok. Red meat is not suggested, but some people tolerate it if it is lean. Nuts are ok if they are in butter form like peanut butter, but they suggest limiting it due to high fat content. And dairy needs to be low-fat.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They told me with fruit that I can have melon, banana, apple sauce, juice or smoothies. But no raw fruits (other than banana, melon). For veggies, I can’t have ones with skin like green beans (or any bean for that matter) or corn. I can have carrots, peppers, asparagus, onions (maybe a few others) as long as they are WELL cooked. White meat (fish and poultry) is ok. Red meat is not suggested, but some people tolerate it if it is lean. Nuts are ok if they are in butter form like peanut butter, but they suggest limiting it due to high fat content. And dairy needs to be low-fat.
Pork loin is very, very lean and easy to smoke. Is that something you can have?

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
How did they come to this? Curious as I tend to have some stomach stuff that bothers me as well. It hasn’t been right since my gb removal 14 years ago. They’re baffled.
It started one night when I was eating and I wasn’t able to swallow. I literally couldn’t swallow anything, even my drink. They did an upper GI and a procedure to widen my esophagus. It helped, but I would have occasional episodes mostly when I was eating beef. So they performed more tests on me and discovered that my stomach was emptying slowly. I had to eat radioactive eggs and toast and they did 5 x-rays at 1-hour intervals.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Call me anti-science but I’d probably challenge this a bit. Seems like you can mostly eat grains & drink fruit juice? Not a good start to fix your health. Seems like a fast track to diabetes.

I’d start with a very simple diet and evaluate. Lean meats & whole fruits. No processed/packaged anything. See how you feel in 30 days. If good, add in one more thing (dairy, etc?)

Reactions: 2122

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Call me anti-science but I’d probably challenge this a bit. Seems like you can mostly eat grains & drink fruit juice? Not a good start to fix your health. Seems like a fast track to diabetes.

I’d start with a very simple diet and evaluate. Lean meats & whole fruits. No processed/packaged anything. See how you feel in 30 days. If good, add in one more thing (dairy, etc?)
I track everything I eat including the nutrients to make sure I am getting enough of everything. I don’t drink juice. My sugar intake is about half of the minimum recommended daily amount. I eat a lot of lean meats and eggs. I do eat toast because it is one of the easiest to digest. Whole fruits are a problem because of the fiber. When you have gastroparesis, fiber can slow down the digestion significantly. The two things that are the worst for this condition are fiber and solid fats.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Dopey

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I track everything I eat including the nutrients to make sure I am getting enough of everything. I don’t drink juice. My sugar intake is about half of the minimum recommended daily amount. I eat a lot of lean meats and eggs. I do eat toast because it is one of the easiest to digest. Whole fruits are a problem because of the fiber. When you have gastroparesis, fiber can slow down the digestion significantly. The two things that are the worst for this condition are fiber and solid fats.

Good for you. This seems like a bummer then. Could definitely see how some could take this diagnosis and make a bad diet even worse.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Do/can you drink coffee?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron