Gary Barta everybody

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You don’t know how you would have reacted, especially when you were an 18-22 year old kid. I’m not sure what the appropriate response is, but I’m 100% certain that victim blaming is not it.

As a member of a band that actually had to deal with fans throwing **** at them, having people attempt to steal uniform parts, etc, i kind of do know.

I'm also pretty sure if someone had attacked a band member enough to send them to the hospital, there'd be a second person joining them in that hospital.

• Agree
Reactions: dafarmer

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You don’t know how you would have reacted, especially when you were an 18-22 year old kid. I’m not sure what the appropriate response is, but I’m 100% certain that victim blaming is not it.
You are really twisting yourself in knots trying to take the Barta path, aren't you?

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
FWIW - a member of the Iowa marching band made a social media post ripping Barta and the athletics department for stopping the investigation. Claims (1) that beer cans were shaken, opened, and rolled at their feet as the band was marching; (2) someone was slapped; and (3) multiple band members were shoved, one of them leading to broken ribs.
Let me know if those band members dont have a phone book or internet access. Id be happy to get them phone numbers for law enforcement. You dont report crimes to the Iowa AD and expect them to be prosecuted. And if they wont report it to the proper authorities, then they have absolutely no business complaining.

• Disagree
Reactions: HOU_Blue

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
You are really twisting yourself in knots trying to take the Barta path, aren't you?

No, I just tend to think people in these situations are usually telling the truth. Of course, if you think nothing happened here, I am sure you would also tell all the former Iowa State marching band members (and ISU fans in general) in this thread that they are lying about the incidents they have alleged experiencing, being that there is no physical evidence or police reports to corroborate them.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Calling someone stupid for not reporting an alleged sexual assault to the police is disgusting.
No it isnt. Not when the person is making unfounded accusations on social media and then xomplaining when nothing happens.

Look dude, if someone was sexually abused then law enforcement needs to be told by witnesses and victims. Lets get this investigated the way it is supposed to be!!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No, I just tend to think people in these situations are usually telling the truth. Of course, if you think nothing happened here, I am sure you would also tell all the former Iowa State marching band members (and ISU fans in general) in this thread that they are lying about the incidents they have alleged, being that there is no physical evidence or police reports to corroborate them.
I personally think that both athletic directors have nearly all the evidence, however there literally is nothing that they can do at this point in time. Both AD's condemned any sort of verbal or physical assault and essentially said this will be a force of emphasis for years to come.

If the band members did not initially or have not yet filed a police report, ranting and raving about it on social media is doing literally nothing. Both sides have now come about and talked about how poorly the bands have been treated and both AD's have now condemned the actions.

This is all taking a turn because Barta took to the press with zero facts and presented allegations against fans. Had he waited this out and talked to everyone on all sides, they wouldn't be having this PR nightmare.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I hope this finally gets Barta fired. If any of this is true, and he didn't do what was best for the band and investigate these violations fully, then he really needs to go this time.
Jamie Pollard came out in his press conference a few days ago and said he is 100% ready to comply with any demands the U of I wants as far as the investigation goes. He was willing to provide statements from police officer's as well as look at security cameras. This could be a case of Barta not wanting to go through all of this so instead wants to let it dissolve, however these band members might not let it happen.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
No it isnt. Not when the person is making unfounded accusations on social media and then xomplaining when nothing happens.

Look dude, if someone was sexually abused then law enforcement needs to be told by witnesses and victims. Lets get this investigated the way it is supposed to be!!
You mean it’s not common to frame alleged incidents a football games as a CyHawk issue to be handled in a press release battle?

This is so much like the locker room incident, well besides that one having an actual incident.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I personally think that both athletic directors have nearly all the evidence, however there literally is nothing that they can do at this point in time. Both AD's condemned any sort of verbal or physical assault and essentially said this will be a force of emphasis for years to come.

If the band members did not initially or have not yet filed a police report, ranting and raving about it on social media is doing literally nothing. Both sides have now come about and talked about how poorly the bands have been treated and both AD's have now condemned the actions.

This is all taking a turn because Barta took to the press with zero facts and presented allegations against fans. Had he waited this out and talked to everyone on all sides, they wouldn't be having this PR nightmare.
Agreed. There is a story on ESPN.com about it too. Definitely an unfortunate situation and reflects poorly on both sides.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
No, I just tend to think people in these situations are usually telling the truth. Of course, if you think nothing happened here, I am sure you would also tell all the former Iowa State marching band members (and ISU fans in general) in this thread that they are lying about the incidents they have alleged experiencing, being that there is no physical evidence or police reports to corroborate them.
well, we arent **** posting on a hawkeye board demanding that something happen when the alleged victims and witnesses refuse to provide details to the proper authorities. Thats a relevant distinction.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

I wouldn't let it go either if I was assaulted. This is far from over and another in a long line of bad choices by Barta. He comes out with a PR when he shouldn't have and then he says the investigation is off when he shouldn't have. This is another disaster.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I wouldn't let it go either if I was assaulted. This is far from over and another in a long line of bad choices by Barta. He comes out with a PR when he shouldn't have and then he says the investigation is off when he shouldn't have. This is another disaster.
great. And the way to not let it go is to report it.to the police.
Barta should have literally NOTHING to do with a criminal investigation.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agreed. There is a story on ESPN.com about it too. Definitely an unfortunate situation and reflects poorly on both sides.
If these allegations are true. Those idiots engaging with the band are a terrible reflection of Iowa State University and if they some how find out who did it, they should never be allowed at an Iowa State sporting event again imo. I have no doubt in my mind that is what Jamie Pollard would do, considering how much he cares about Iowa State's image and the Iowa State way.

Now, Barta does not deserve the blame for what happened to these kids, but he deserves a ton of blame nonetheless. He has a job to do and yet again, his actions have shown that he is incapable of doing anything correctly. This will add to his long list of mess-ups and there are now students at the University of Iowa who are in the band that believe their AD is not helping them out at all and wants this to go away so he doesn't have to deal with it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: alarson and CysRage

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019

Plenty of people don’t report sexual assaults, for whatever reason. Failing to report the incident does not mean they are stupid. Who are you to judge? Regardless, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the people who are making public statements are the ones who were assaulted, so your assertion that the alleged victims are making unfounded accusations and then complaining when nothing is done is similarly unfounded.

Finally, you have absolutely zero clue of what actions have or have not been taken. Passing judgment on 18-22 year old kids and calling them stupid for not handling the incident the way you want them to is what is stupid. These things generally take more than a couple of days to sort themselves out. As a supposed former prosecutor, you should know better than that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron