Gary Barta everybody

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Plenty of people don’t report sexual assaults, for whatever reason. Failing to report the incident does not mean they are stupid. Who are you to judge? Regardless, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the people who are making public statements are the ones who were assaulted, so your assertion that the alleged victims are making unfounded accusations and then complaining when nothing is done is similarly unfounded.

Finally, you have absolutely zero clue of what actions have or have not been taken. Passing judgment on 18-22 year old kids and calling them stupid for not handling the incident the way you want them to is what is stupid. These things generally take more than a couple of days to sort themselves out. As a supposed former prosecutor, you should know better than that.

I mean failing to report a sexual assault is one thing but to fail to report it to the authorities and then put it on social media is another thing

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Plenty of people don’t report sexual assaults, for whatever reason. Failing to report the incident does not mean they are stupid. Who are you to judge? Regardless, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the people who are making public statements are the ones who were assaulted, so your assertion that the alleged victims are making unfounded accusations and then complaining when nothing is done is similarly unfounded.

Finally, you have absolutely zero clue of what actions have or have not been taken. Passing judgment on 18-22 year old kids and calling them stupid for not handling the incident the way you want them to is what is stupid. These things generally take more than a couple of days to sort themselves out. As a supposed former prosecutor, you should know better than that.
Then maybe the AD for the University of Iowa shouldn't have put out a press release regarding this the day after the incident allegedly occurred.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
I mean failing to report a sexual assault is one thing but to fail to report it to the authorities and then put it on social media is another thing

That’s not the way I would suggest handling it, but I’m not going to call someone stupid for doing that. Regardless, there is nothing to suggest that the people who were making the social media posts were the persons who were allegedly assaulted.

• Dumb
Reactions: Acylum

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That’s not the way I would suggest handling it, but I’m not going to call someone stupid for doing that. Regardless, there is nothing to suggest that the people who were making the social media posts were the persons who were allegedly assaulted.

If you don't report it to authorities but put it on social media I think it's fair to call you stupid

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

Blah Blah Blah. Im not calling them stupid for initially failing to report a sexual abuse allegation. There are many valid reasons for delayed reporting. I prosecuted crimes for nearly a decade, including sex crimes. The people making vague posts about the allegations on social media and complaining about nothing happening are acting stupidly. Call the police so it can be investigated.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
Then maybe the AD for the University of Iowa shouldn't have put out a press release regarding this the day after the incident allegedly occurred.

I agree. Barta handled this poorly. That doesn’t justify calling the kids who were allegedly assaulted stupid.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
Blah Blah Blah. Im not calling them stupid for initially failing to report a sexual abuse allegation. There are many valid reasons for delayed reporting. I prosecuted crimes for nearly a decade, including sex crimes. The people making vague posts about the allegations on social media and complaining about nothing happening are acting stupidly. Call the police so it can be investigated.

Again, you have no idea what steps have been taken thus far. You have no idea if those individuals have already contacted police. You have no idea if the band members were told not to report anything to the police and to let the University handle the situation. You know nothing, just like the rest of us.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Again, you have no idea what steps have been taken thus far. You have no idea if those individuals have already contacted police. You have no idea if the band members were told not to report anything to the police and to let the University handle the situation. You know nothing, just like the rest of us.

Barta can sweep it under the rug. The police cannot

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
So what if these 2 kids on social media are lying?

The Sunday after the game, before this all blew up, there were posters on Iowa message boards who claimed that the U of I received numerous (as in way more than 2) phone calls from the parents of UIMB members complaining about the situation. Seems rather unlikely that this is all made up.

• Dumb
  • Informative
Reactions: Acylum and Brandon

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree. Barta handled this poorly. That doesn’t justify calling the kids who were allegedly assaulted stupid.
I don't think these kids are stupid, I think that they feel like they are not being helped by their administration.. which they are not. The Iowa State administration already said they would help out in any means necessary, and the Iowa administration wants to let this thing go.. So why do they want to do that? Did these kid's stories not lineup? Was it not as big as a deal as they're actually making it? Who knows! All of this stuff would be immensely easier if Iowa's administration (Gary Barta) wouldn't have dropped the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: HOU_Blue

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
The Sunday after the game, before this all blew up, there were posters on Iowa message boards who claimed that the U of I received numerous (as in way more than 2) phone calls from the parents of UIMB members complaining about the situation. Seems rather unlikely that this is all made up.

Either way this whole thing is a cluster ****. Barta should have just stayed off Twitter. My mind is blown that somebody who was groped didn't report said incident if there were so many witnesses.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Tell those with knowledge to call the police.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron