Friday QOTW - 10/25 - You and your SO are getting married.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Absolutely. I'd end it without giving it a second thought. Someone cheats on you once, they'll do it again sooner or later.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yes. Too easy.

If we're doing bachelor party stories, I'll shoot:
My bachelor party was at my old man's farm in Mitchell County. It was this April, and unseasonably cold (highs in the mid-40's) but the snow had all melted and the ditches were just completely full of water. Friday night we all drank out at the old farm house and went into town for a few drinks at the bar. The next day we started drinking pretty damn early in preparation for a small town party bus. Someone spotted the old canoe hanging up in the shed, and an idea was born:

Ditch canoeing

By noon we had spent over an hour paddling back and forth in the road ditch, drinking beer and what not. I was on the phone trying to give a car load of buddies direction, when the guy sitting in the middle of the canoe decided to stand up.

Needless to say, I was getting a new phone that Monday. And I spent the next hour standing next to a fire.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am kind of surprised no one would stay. It was 50/50 before I made this thread with people I asked. I would definitely break up right away but that is because I've dealt with cheating ***** before.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I am kind of surprised no one would stay. It was 50/50 before I made this thread with people I asked. I would definitely break up right away but that is because I've dealt with cheating ***** before.

Probably the circumstances. Cheating right before the wedding vs. 10 years in with a house and two kids? Much easier to leave before you're tied to them. I imagine there are some people here who couldn't forgive the first situation but would try to work through the second. Personally, cheating is a huge deal breaker for both of us. There are other serious things like some crimes that I would probably stay with my husband through, but not cheating.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Probably the circumstances. Cheating right before the wedding vs. 10 years in with a house and two kids? Much easier to leave before you're tied to them. I imagine there are some people here who couldn't forgive the first situation but would try to work through the second. Personally, cheating is a huge deal breaker for both of us. There are other serious things like some crimes that I would probably stay with my husband through, but not cheating.

Agree, been married a little more than a year and am very happy. If I found out something happened though, I would have no problem ending it. Once kids get into the picture, it does get complicated. And I am so against cheating, that really is the end all for me. I am perfectly fine with people enjoying themselves, but if you commit to someone (married or dating), then dont. If you don't want to be, then that is fine too. Don't put someone else through hell because you want to hook up with people.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I've seen too many marriages try to survive an affair, and things just get really, really bad. In the end, it seemed to be bad for everyone, especially the kids.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Did you ask complete dumbasses before coming on here?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Did you ask complete dumbasses before coming on here?

Well one was my boss....

They were saying it depends on how long they were together. If you're together 5 years before you get married it would be hard to completely break up. They would call off the wedding though. I would do it no matter what though

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Had a former boss tell his fiance the day of the bachelorette party that if she cheated on him that night or ever in their marriage to just come up front and tell him. The break up will be much easier if he doesn't have to find out for himself, and it wouldn't stir up as much **** because it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Not sure what exactly she did, but she told him the next day she cheated on him at the party but still wanted to get married.

He's still single.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
There's a trust issue with your significant other. It's like water dripping in a sink. Cheating is like pulling the plug and all that built-up trust goes right down the drain. There's also a matter of character. Anyone that would cheat on their SO because they couldn't control their impulses have a character flaw that I wouldn't be able to deal with.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That would do it.

I served with two guys in the Guard who ran into that issue.
Guy #1 was married, and the best man for Guy #2. The night before the wedding, #1 stopped to visit the fiance of #2, and chaos ensued. #1 and the future wife of #2 hooked up. #1 drove by the house, because he had some question about the wedding in the morning or something. He saw his best friend's car and caught them in the act.

That called off the wedding, broke up #1's marriage, and the two ended up swapping women. #2 married the ex of #1, #1 married the former future wife of #2. Somehow, neither of those marriages made it, but it made for tense times every drill weekend for years.

I guess people don't forget that sort of thing.

The family that $%%*(^^&& together, is the family that stays together.

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
Lets make this a bachelor/bachelorette party thread. Those stories are so much more interesting.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Life's too short to be with someone who doesn't want to be exclusive. There are plenty of people out there that will share your same beliefs.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
My wife cheated on me with a guy that was my best friend in college and a groomsman in our wedding about 2 years into our marriage. I didn't end it and tried to work everything out. Well 2 years later she left me after moving all the way out to California with me. Then tells me that it was my fault that the marriage didn't work out. RIGHT!

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
My wife cheated on me with a guy that was my best friend in college and a groomsman in our wedding about 2 years into our marriage. I didn't end it and tried to work everything out. Well 2 years later she left me after moving all the way out to California with me. Then tells me that it was my fault that the marriage didn't work out. RIGHT!

She probably couldn't handle that you played a mellie.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I'm feeling so much rage for you after reading that.