Friday OT - What a Wicked Game We Play

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@Farnsworth made me think of this with his OT thread topic yesterday, followed by our oldest’s eighth grade graduation last night.

During the promotion ceremony, all of the eighth grade boys played that game where they try to be the last one to clap. It resulted in several bouts of applause lasting for a minute or two as they kept their game going. Which made me laugh quite a bit, because I’m pretty sure kids have been playing this game for at least 40 years, probably more. But it was clear they thought they invented it.

What similar subversive games did you used to play as a preteen and preteen? What mildly ornery things did you do in school?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We did some things when the Geometry teacher got summoned to the office for about ten minutes. Turned his desk around but repositioned everything on top so it would be facing him the right way when he sat down. He kept trying to scoot his chair in but it wasn’t working. The mean part was one of the guys emptied out pencil shavings into his instant coffee jar.

Reactions: 2122 and Angie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
bNCb8z.gif

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
in 6th grade we had a young teacher that was not fit for purpose, she could not manage kids and we were totally out of control. One thing that was done, is someone would go sharpen their pencil (the old school grinder mounted to the wall) for like 5 minutes, just disintegrate their pencil to nothing. Then once done, another person would go do same. Over and over. Someone sharpening their pencil for an hour straight. It was just flat stupid in retrospect.

Much worse happened, but we drove her out of teaching entirely after 1 year. Sorry Miss Brummel!

Reactions: Angie

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
in 6th grade we had a young teacher that was not fit for purpose, she could not manage kids and we were totally out of control. One thing that was done, is someone would go sharpen their pencil (the old school grinder mounted to the wall) for like 5 minutes, just disintegrate their pencil to nothing. Then once done, another person would go do same. Over and over. Someone sharpening their pencil for an hour straight. It was just flat stupid in retrospect.

Much worse happened, but we drove her out of teaching entirely after 1 year. Sorry Miss Brummel!
When I was in grade school all the teacher had to ask was "Would you like me to get Mr. O'Neil?" If you knew what was good for you, you straightened right up. You didn't want a personal visit from Mr. O'Neil

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
@Farnsworth made me think of this with his OT thread topic yesterday, followed by our oldest’s eighth grade graduation last night.

During the promotion ceremony, all of the eighth grade boys played that game where they try to be the last one to clap. It resulted in several bouts of applause lasting for a minute or two as they kept their game going. Which made me laugh quite a bit, because I’m pretty sure kids have been playing this game for at least 40 years, probably more. But it was clear they thought they invented it.

What similar subversive games did you used to play as a preteen and preteen? What mildly ornery things did you do in school?
you tell me...what did i do in high school that was ornery? haha

I mean...the yelling PENIS game was always standard

• Haha

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We had a nun that would fall asleep during study hall. Every so often, we'd time it to where everyone in the class would drop their book to the floor at the same time when she nodded off.
We were little dickheads.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had Mr. Hershey for Geometry (or 'Jomtree' as he called it) last class of the day. We all knew when we didn't really feel like learning we just had to get the old guy talking. He told some great stories but there wasn't a lot of geometry being learned.

Not really that wicked unless you were in the 25% of the class that actually wanted to learn geometry.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
A buddy would always bring marshmallows from home to lunch, wait until the teachers weren't looking, lick them, and toss them up to see how many he could stick to the ceiling tiles. Then when lunch was over we'd stack as many trays as we could and have contests to see who could carry the most without dropping them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A buddy would always bring marshmallows from home to lunch, wait until the teachers weren't looking, lick them, and toss them up to see how many he could stick to the ceiling tiles. Then when lunch was over we'd stack as many trays as we could and have contests to see who could carry the most without dropping them.
We had ceiling tiles in the lunch room that were about 15' high off the ground. We used to throw sharpened pencils up and try to get them stuck in the ceiling tiles. They would usually come back down within about a week but by the end of the year there were generally a couple dozen that never came back down.

Reactions: Trice and Angie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My friends and I took the pranks way too far. While no one ever got hurt, they absolutely crossed the line into criminal behavior, or just cringey disgusting teenage boy ****. There was even a felony prosecution at one point (he was acquitted at trial and found guilty of a lesser included simple misdemeanor).

I'm not someone who holds back details very often, but I'm too embarrassed by most of it to put out on a publicly read message board.

• Friendly
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Also, because of how you worded the thread title and I know Angie will be completely find with this obligatory post of an amazing music video.

• Friendly

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina

I guess I never heard of this. We certainly didn’t want to stay any longer than needed at any school function so we weren’t clapping any more than needed. We did a lot of ornery things in school but none of them involved keeping us in said school longer. Lol.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022

We used to huck pencils into the ceiling tiles

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We used to huck pencils into the ceiling tiles

Our middle school was a super old building (no longer used) and along with pencils people would sling shot sticky/stretch hands onto the ceiling of the gymnasium.

There's a strong chance many are still there.

A VERY bad 'almost' moment was when a bunch jumped across to the far side of the bus around corners to try to get it tip and a couple of times felt close to successful. Iirc I actually didn't partake in that, but was on the bus and watched it.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We did some things when the Geometry teacher got summoned to the office for about ten minutes. Turned his desk around but repositioned everything on top so it would be facing him the right way when he sat down. He kept trying to scoot his chair in but it wasn’t working. The mean part was one of the guys emptied out pencil shavings into his instant coffee jar.

We played an April Fools prank our our Junior High English teacher. We got into her room early and rotated the entire room 90°. All the desks, her desk, etc. She ended up liking the arrangement and kept it for the rest of the year.

We were hardcore badasses.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
you tell me...what did i do in high school that was ornery? haha

I mean...the yelling PENIS game was always standard

I remember the guys used to play the penis game in life skills pretty much every day. God bless the teachers for not losing it!

A friend of mine and I let off a (sanctioned) dry ice bomb in the chemistry room with the teacher there one night after school. We didn’t realize how crazy it would get, it blew the top of a 20 ounce soda bottles through the ceiling tiles. Mr E told classes the next day about how he still couldn’t hear from the sound.

Also, because of how you worded the thread title and I know Angie will be completely find with this obligatory post of an amazing music video.

I was even thinking of this version rather than Chris Isaak!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron