Friday OT Tell us about the 1st time

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have two:

- My brother took me to see Empire Strikes Back when I was 6 instead of seeing something that Mom wanted us to see. That was my first movie in a theater. That movie will always hold a special place in my heart.

- I was 10. Me and a friend were dropped off to watch Footloose for his birthday. After the previews, we snuck across the lobby and watched Police Academy. I was pleasantly surprised at a few of the scenes that day.

Police Academy is full throttle 80's comedy.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
There were some friendly girls in the neighborhood who provided more than the movies. And wasn't far to the South Dakota border where legal age in small town bars was quite low if you were with someone they knew, legal or not.

Reactions: NWICY

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Angie is doing work stuff. I'm pinch hitting.

The topic is the 1st movie you ever snuck into because of the rating or going over to a friends house to watch movies that your folks wouldn't let you. Like be to young and going to your friends to watch grainy skinamax that sort of came through the old cable filters.

I got busted trying to get into Saturday Night Fever in Des Moines during the state BB tournament. Successfully got into Animal House.
My mom took me to see Hotel as a confirmation gift. I was 13. It may not sound like a big deal, but Hotel in its day was considered a raunchy movie and barely escaped an X rating because * gasp * it showed an unmarried (to each other anyway) couple sharing the same bed in a hotel room. I thought I was pretty special walking into that theater. The movie was very forgetable, however.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They used to show R rated and smutty movies at the drive in. You could see the screen from the parking lot at Bradley's. If I was there with Mom I would just tell her I was gonna stay in the car and hope I could see something I wasn't supposed to.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have two:

- My brother took me to see Empire Strikes Back when I was 6 instead of seeing something that Mom wanted us to see. That was my first movie in a theater. That movie will always hold a special place in my heart.

- I was 10. Me and a friend were dropped off to watch Footloose for his birthday. After the previews, we snuck across the lobby and watched Police Academy. I was pleasantly surprised at a few of the scenes that day.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
When we were kids, I remember one summer trying to watch the soap opera Dark Shadows. It had Barnaby (or was it Barnabus?) Collins as a vampire. Mom told us to shut it off. Not sure whether that was because there was a vampire on it (How did she know if she didn't watch it? We never told her) or that it was a soap opera. We watched anyway as she went outside to put laundry on the clothesline or take it off, and listened for her coming back in the house so we could shut it off. Don't recall ever seeing him turn into a vampire, but it was kinda fun for an 8-year-old.
That's all I got.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When we were kids, I remember one summer trying to watch the soap opera Dark Shadows. It had Barnaby (or was it Barnabus?) Collins as a vampire. Mom told us to shut it off. Not sure whether that was because there was a vampire on it (How did she know if she didn't watch it? We never told her) or that it was a soap opera. We watched anyway as she went outside to put laundry on the clothesline or take it off, and listened for her coming back in the house so we could shut it off. Don't recall ever seeing him turn into a vampire, but it was kinda fun for an 8-year-old.
That's all I got.
Barnabus.

I watched it for Quentin. :D

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My father only allowed my sisters & I to watch G rated movies. My sister (19) and my cousin (20) took me (14), my other sister (17) and our other cousin (15) to see MASH. NOT exactly G rated, and it was back in the days before even HBO. My father was livid when he found out.

Ooops...

• Haha
Reactions: wxman1 and NWICY

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I saw roots in a 4th grade class in like 2001ish. Not sure how that flew with no permission slip, but we watched the whole thing for like 2 or 3 days.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Late 60's. Mother is institutionalized at Mt. Pleasant. She would occasionally get off-grounds pass. We might go local in town, but sometimes we (older sister driving) would head to Burlington. Got there and they decided we should see a movie. I have no idea WHAT the movie was but it was R-rated. Not only me (probably 12 or 13) but two younger brothers. Not sure what my sister was thinking but since our mother was there they let us in.

Movie starts and about 5 minutes in the boobies come out and about 2 minutes later we're out on the sidewalk.

• Funny

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Reminded me of someone at South Park Bigger Longer Uncut who had ~6yo in tow.

I was like, good lord this is probably not age appropriate for me and I am 30. What the actual f are you doing bringing this kind in here???
Same when I went. The parent quickly learned and dragged their kid out after the movie started out with the Uncle ****** song.

• Funny

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Reminded me of someone at South Park Bigger Longer Uncut who had ~6yo in tow.

I was like, good lord this is probably not age appropriate for me and I am 30. What the actual f are you doing bringing this kind in here???
I didn’t even think I should be at Looper let alone a toddler. Nightmarish violence, drugs, sex. I think maybe the opening scene was an execution. When the girl started crying, the dude let me, a total stranger, take her to the lobby and a potty stop. I bought her some fruit snacks and went back in. Fortunately she fell asleep.

• Wow
Reactions: CascadeClone