Friday OT - Favorite comedian

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Typical answer, but I gotta go with Dave Chapelle. The way he strings together jokes, stories, and white people voices, while bringing up cultural and social issues is nuts.

Still can't decide which of his specials I like the most, though.

[video=youtube;Mo-ddYhXAZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc[/video]

I saw him at Stephens a couple of weeks ago and he still has it. I hope to see a special from him within the year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Do they have to be living? Richard Pryor blows most of the before mentioned away, and it's not even close.

Brian Regan reminds me of the guy at the bar that doesn't realize how loud he is, or that he's not funny.

Currently Louis CK is up there. He's a cynic, but I enjoy his public commentary about how awful people are when it comes to cell phones, etc.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
My personal all time dead or alive top 5:

1. Bill Hicks
2. Louis C.K.
3. Jim Norton
4. Bill Burr
5. Eddie Murphy

Unfunniest db's ever:

1. Stain Cook
2. Bill Dunham, been doing the exact same schtick with the same damn puppets since the mid 80's and it wasn't funny then.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Oh god, he's awful.

I think, but I'm not sure, that he maybe performed in my middle school back before he was on Comedy Central and stuff. I'm not sure. Oddly enough, what was sort of funny at age 12 is no longer funny at all.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I haven't liked any of his stuff since, but that first CC special of his came out when I was in college and my roommate and I thought it was the funniest thing ever at the time.

I will agree with you on that. I should have expanded more. His first special was great, then just crap after that.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Jeff Dunham? Hes apparently coming to American Airlines Center down here in February, I don't know how he could even sell our the courtside seats.

For some reason out here in rural Iowa a lot of the local house frows love him. I have friends wives that rave about how I need to come over and watch their dvd of this funny "new" comedian that has puppets. His voice makes my blood boil. For anybody that thinks he's funny, look up some skits he did 20 years ago on Evening at the Improv on A&E and they are exactly the same as what he does today, same puppets and everything.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Bo Burnham is sorta gimmicky with most of his bits involve him playing music and singing or Shakespeare-esque poetry, but the kid is very smart, if that's your type. His special "Words Words Words" was on Netflix, not sure if it currently is.

[video=youtube;_nMFOPfvDlc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMFOPfvDlc[/video]

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I'll add votes for Louis CK & Chappelle. But I also have to add Eddie Izzard to my list of favorite comedians.

Last edited:

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
For some reason out here in rural Iowa a lot of the local house frows love him. I have friends wives that rave about how I need to come over and watch their dvd of this funny "new" comedian that has puppets. His voice makes my blood boil. For anybody that thinks he's funny, look up some skits he did 20 years ago on Evening at the Improv on A&E and they are exactly the same as what he does today, same puppets and everything.

I guess one thing he has done right is make a crap load of money off the same stuff. He is taking advantage of the minions of the world.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Bill Burr is my favorite. The only problem with Burr is watching him with my wife sitting next to me. It's hard to not laugh at some of his stuff that is wife offensive.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I'll second Louis CK, Aziz Ansari, and Steven Wright. Two that I've actually gotten to see live were Dave Chappelle when he was at VEISHEA in 1997 (or so) and Demetri Martin. I thought both of those guys were awesome.