Friday OT - Favorite comedian

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Jeff Dunham? Hes apparently coming to American Airlines Center down here in February, I don't know how he could even sell our the courtside seats.

I cannot fathom that. I do think that he has a pretty big following among the middle-aged-lady set, like fatkid1974 said. But I find it hard to imagine that they're the type to go sit and watch a comedy tour?

I don't know, but I want to drop-kick those puppets into acid every time I see him mentioned.

I forgot Eddie Izzard. He's excellent.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I think, but I'm not sure, that he maybe performed in my middle school back before he was on Comedy Central and stuff. I'm not sure. Oddly enough, what was sort of funny at age 12 is no longer funny at all.

I love Angie OT threads, but this one might top them all.

Hungover and dreary day in Dallas, now I am striking up some old youtube videos.

All Hail Angie!

mkleve44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2012
West Des Moines
Another funny comedian is Hannibal Buress:

[video=youtube;N5gJLujeCKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gJLujeCKk[/video]

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
What comedian do you most enjoy, if you enjoy stand-up?

I saw David Cross several years ago when he was at Stephens - a lot of people didn't get his humor, but I thought he was great. I'd love to see Aziz Ansari or Louis CK.

Huge David cross fan would like to see him live. Ones i've seen live Gabriel iglesias, bill Cosby, Dave chappelle, late George Carlin, lewis black, bill engval and someone who I refuse to name for fear of hate I will get.

I also enjoy gaffigan, and an Australian comic Jim Jeffries.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I love Angie OT threads, but this one might top them all.

Hungover and dreary day in Dallas, now I am striking up some old youtube videos.

All Hail Angie!

I don't deserve that! But I have been listening to the Louis CK channel a lot on Pandora lately, and it made me want to try out other stuff. :) So this was a totally selfish thread.

Huge David cross fan would like to see him live.

He was really good. Between seeing him and Tenacious D both live, I feel like I just need to see Bob Odenkirk and Brian Posehn to finish the "Mr. Show" live tour.

I feel dirty mentioning this, because he seems like such a huge turd, but Russell Brand can occasionally make me laugh.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I feel dirty mentioning this, because he seems like such a huge turd, but Russell Brand can occasionally make me laugh.
You know, I'm pretty much convinced now that Russell Brand is like a hyper intelligent alien but like our bodies can't create the right words or something so he comes off as kooky and discombobulated.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You know, I'm pretty much convinced now that Russell Brand is like a hyper intelligent alien but like our bodies can't create the right words or something so he comes off as kooky and discombobulated.

That's actually fair. I think he's really, really intelligent. Which disturbs me, because it seems like he's trying too hard most of the time to be edgy. Some of his political interviews have been pretty awesome.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The guy with the puppet also ties for bottom.

You can't be talking about George and Otto are you? Because if you are, I may just have to leave this site.

My favorite right now is Bill Burr. Saw him in September at the Chicago Theater. His opener was Jason Lawhead and he was pretty funny too. First time I'd seen him.

As far as honorable mention, there are too many to list. I'm a fan of comedy in that there are very few, of at least the popular comics, that don't make me laugh.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I get a kick out of Demetri Martin's casual and subtle humor.

I also enjoy the self destroying humor of Louis CK.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ill also Jim Gaffigan and Ray Romano.

Their bits on marriage and fatherhood kill me.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Great thread Angie.

I love good stand-up so it's hard to single one out. Pryor is hard to dethrone. Gaffigan is so relatable with his views on fatherhood. His book "Dad is Fat" was so-so.

Stephen Wright was the original Mitch Hedberg and both are awesome. Louis CK is great for his defeated humor and views on childhood. His bit on playing hide and seek with his daughter is one of my faves.

I saw Carlin at the tail end of his career when he was just bitter and ranting. Lewis Black falls under the same category. Both have their moments when they are hysterical to me.

Chappelle is just funny as hell to me. Tosh was funnier with his stand-up, but I still laugh when he just attacks a joke and doesn't focus on being edgy.

There's a lot of other good mentions in this thread. Two other acts that I enjoyed were the Sklar Brothers and Craig Ferguson (during his stand-up days, not talk show days)

They nixed our comedy radio station in KC earlier this year (or last year, can't remember), but I used to listen to it constantly.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Just because it hasn't be mentioned yet, but Dave Attell puts on a great show.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hannibal Burress is good as well. Eddie Izzard had some great bits over the years.

I think some of the most vicious laughing I've ever done was at Dave Attell's Jager Commercials bit at Stephen's a few years back.

Worst comedians are definitely The Blue Collar guys (except for Ron White, he's great), Dane Cook, and Jeff Dunham. Jeff Dunham is the absolute worst. He only gets laughs because he has a gimmick. The actual jokes are awful.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Great thread Angie.

I love good stand-up so it's hard to single one out. Pryor is hard to dethrone. Gaffigan is so relatable with his views on fatherhood. His book "Dad is Fat" was so-so.

Stephen Wright was the original Mitch Hedberg and both are awesome. Louis CK is great for his defeated humor and views on childhood. His bit on playing hide and seek with his daughter is one of my faves.

I saw Carlin at the tail end of his career when he was just bitter and ranting. Lewis Black falls under the same category. Both have their moments when they are hysterical to me.

Chappelle is just funny as hell to me. Tosh was funnier with his stand-up, but I still laugh when he just attacks a joke and doesn't focus on being edgy.

There's a lot of other good mentions in this thread. Two other acts that I enjoyed were the Sklar Brothers and Craig Ferguson (during his stand-up days, not talk show days)

They nixed our comedy radio station in KC earlier this year (or last year, can't remember), but I used to listen to it constantly.

I really wish the Sklars would come to Ames. I'd see them in a heartbeat.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hannibal Burress is good as well. Eddie Izzard had some great bits over the years.

I think some of the most vicious laughing I've ever done was at Dave Attell's Jager Commercials bit at Stephen's a few years back.

Worst comedians are definitely The Blue Collar guys (except for Ron White, he's great), Dane Cook, and Jeff Dunham. Jeff Dunham is the absolute worst. He only gets laughs because he has a gimmick. The actual jokes are awful.

I would love to see Dave Attell live. That would be a great show.

Jeff Dunham. That's the puppet guy whose name I couldn't remember. Yeah, I don't really understand how he's still getting airtime.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron