Friday OT - Favorite comedian

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not a lot of love for the ladies on this site. I think I saw Lisa Lampanelli mentioned, but that's all I can remember. She made me laugh at first but it seems like she'd be funnier to see in person working the crowd over.

I will have to second the earlier post on Jonathan Winters. He, Tim Conway, Carrol Burnett, Don Rickles. My dad loved stand-up and exposed me to comedy at an early age.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Dirty Humor - Dave Attel and Louis CK
Clean Humor - Mike Birbiglia and Jim Gaffigan
Transvestite Humor with a Historical Slant - Eddie Izzard

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Hannibal Burress is good as well. Eddie Izzard had some great bits over the years.

I think some of the most vicious laughing I've ever done was at Dave Attell's Jager Commercials bit at Stephen's a few years back.

Worst comedians are definitely The Blue Collar guys (except for Ron White, he's great), Dane Cook, and Jeff Dunham. Jeff Dunham is the absolute worst. He only gets laughs because he has a gimmick. The actual jokes are awful.

I always forget about him since hes more of an actor these days. God he had some funny standup.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Not a lot of love for the ladies on this site. I think I saw Lisa Lampanelli mentioned, but that's all I can remember. She made me laugh at first but it seems like she'd be funnier to see in person working the crowd over.

I will have to second the earlier post on Jonathan Winters. He, Tim Conway, Carrol Burnett, Don Rickles. My dad loved stand-up and exposed me to comedy at an early age.

I've never seen her stand-up, but because I love her podcast I would go see Tig Notaro in a heartbeat if she came to Ames or Des Moines.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Hannibal Burress is good as well. Eddie Izzard had some great bits over the years.

I think some of the most vicious laughing I've ever done was at Dave Attell's Jager Commercials bit at Stephen's a few years back.

Worst comedians are definitely The Blue Collar guys (except for Ron White, he's great), Dane Cook, and Jeff Dunham. Jeff Dunham is the absolute worst. He only gets laughs because he has a gimmick. The actual jokes are awful.

100% agree with this statement. Not all of Dave's jokes are killers, but the ones that are, make me laugh harder than just about anyone.

His bit about a man with one tooth asking him if he needs directions comes to mind.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Dave Attell's Skanks for the Memories CD is hilarious from start to finish, I must have listened to that 100 times back in the day.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Jim Gaffigan - wife let me put on stand up on drive to Minneapolis. She let me listen to the whole thing.

Kevin Hart - His delivery. One of those that lends well to viewing and not just listening

Zach Galifianakis - has similar off the wall humor

Shoutout to Hedberg of course

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Can't stand Lampanelli, but I like some of the stuff from Maria Bamford

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
My favorites are probably Bill Burr, Louis CK, Chappelle. Ive listened to john mulaney and liked his stuff. I also saw this guy Pete Correalle (I can't remember how to spell his name) in Des moines a few weeks back and his show was pretty damn hilarious

Reactions: Angie

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
When I was a kid, my stepdad had all of these Bill Cosby albums...fell in love with his standup then, and he's still my favorite. In college, loved Eddie Murphy (I know, a 180 from Cosby). Saw Sam Kinison at CY Stephens and thought he was hilarious, too. None of them do standup anymore, so I really don't have a favorite now.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The Sklars were in Ames a year or 2 ago.

How did I miss that one? My wife and I were just talking this weekend about how much of our current lexicon we owe to the Sklars and Cheap Seats. Whether it be a random exclamation of "Zubaz!", or punctuating a particularly lame joke with "Folks!", or even just a casual Garvey reference, I'm not sure if any other show has had that kind of impact on both of us.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
How did I miss that one? My wife and I were just talking this weekend about how much of our current lexicon we owe to the Sklars and Cheap Seats. Whether it be a random exclamation of "Zubaz!", or punctuating a particularly lame joke with "Folks!", or even just a casual Garvey reference, I'm not sure if any other show has had that kind of impact on both of us.

Janny nailed it. I can't believe I missed that, we would have been front-row if we'd heard that.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I caught Josh Blue at the Funny Bone and holy cow was he funny! I had never heard of him before seeing him live.