Friday OT - Dream Car

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Mine is a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 454. It would be red with black stripes and a black top.
75b_coupe.jpg

Reactions: Cyclones2

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I always liked the 55 and 56 Ford Two Door Post. So it's no surprise I ended up with one. See left.

I had a '65 Mustang convertible 289, Rangoon Red with a Red interior for 25 years. I always thought I'd drive it a lot more when I retired, but it turned out I didn't. So I made the decision to sell it at the Mecum Auction. That's where I stumbled across the '55 I have now - I actually had no intention of buying another car. I tell people, "It followed me home." It it a low mileage vehicle, but still had/has some issues (left me stranded a couple times). But slowly making headway. Got a new radiator (overheating issues on hot days, especially when idling). Got rid of the bias ply tires and that helped a lot, but still doesn't drive anything like a modern car. Still, am very happy to have it.

Modern car: I always said if money was no issue, I'd have a Jaguar 2-seat drop top, top of the line. But that will never be the case.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Talked about my dream car earlier, and saw a few people talking about what they really wanted in a car. Guys, you can stop reading now, because you will NEVER identify with this.

I'm altitudinally challenged...and cars are designed for people that are taller than me. Trying to find a comfortable car for ME to commute in is an exercise in frustration. In order to comfortably reach the pedals, I have to jack the seat forward all the way. This results a couple of new problems: if there is a deep skirt on the dash below the steering wheel, I bash my knee every time I move from gas to brake & back. In addition to the knee issue the love that car manufacturers have for airbags has created a generation of cars with thick padding on the steering wheel that covers the airbag. With the seat all the way forward, my boobs are resting on the steering wheel. If I move the seat back to get away from the steering wheel, I can't comfortably reach the pedals. Catch 22. My biggest fear, tho, is that someday I will get in an accident, the airbag will deploy, and the explosive device used to deploy it will take half my face and all of my hair with it.

I HATE car shopping. And I especially hate car shopping when I know exactly what I want/need, and the salesperson ignores me & talks to my husband. That's why I will drive Elmer until he's a pile of rust on wheels. :)

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
rolls-royce-phantom-sports-line-black-bison-edition-previewed-27362_1.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom. That way, every doofus who says, "Oh, your name is Royce! Do you drive a Rolls Royce!?" I can say, "Yes, I'm also hiring a chauffeur. Are you available?"

Reactions: Cyclones2

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As an impressionable child many many years ago I saw the movie Gumball Rally and the moment I saw the AC Cobra aka Shelby Cobra I was hooked.

CobraSale1.jpg

While the originals may be beyond my checkbook a good quality replica is quite doable...hmm time for a mid-life crisis car?

Attachments

• CobraSale1.jpg
    CobraSale1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 12

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This is it....

zastava-yugo-1600-06.jpg

We OWNED one of these! We called it the "YoYo" because hubby bought it dirt cheap used, crutched it along, sold it to someone who couldn't figure out the crazy maintenance, then bought it back from them for less than he sold it...then repeated that a couple more times. The car originally cost us around $250. It earned us around $400 profit over what we originally paid for it, and also got hubby out of a ticket because the cop told him it was too ugly to be on the road, and gave him a bs ticket (dim headlights or some stupid thing like that...it was still daylight out). He fought the ticket, told the judge what the cop said, judge asked the cop if he said that, cop said "you should see the car", judge said "dismissed". ;)

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
I would have to break this up into different segments:

Dream Sports Car and money no object.

Ferrari 458 Italia. Yes, there are faster sports cars but I don't care. The looks and sound.
View attachment 25387

[video=youtube;RY3u3vwnjjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY3u3vwnjjs[/video]

Daily Driver, money no object.

Aston Martin Vanquish V12
View attachment 25388

...dmclone hacked my brain. Mods please look into this. Shouldn't be needed but just in case...:jimlad:

These are my choices as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My "if money were no object" car is the Aston Martin DBS.

Now, more realistically, I would like a current Shelby Mustang GT 500. Or, if I were to go classic, a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am or a 1967 Pontiac GTO.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We OWNED one of these! We called it the "YoYo" because hubby bought it dirt cheap used, crutched it along, sold it to someone who couldn't figure out the crazy maintenance, then bought it back from them for less than he sold it...then repeated that a couple more times. The car originally cost us around $250. It earned us around $400 profit over what we originally paid for it, and also got hubby out of a ticket because the cop told him it was too ugly to be on the road, and gave him a bs ticket (dim headlights or some stupid thing like that...it was still daylight out). He fought the ticket, told the judge what the cop said, judge asked the cop if he said that, cop said "you should see the car", judge said "dismissed". ;)
I worked with a guy that bought a Yugo brand new. It turned out that was the only Yugo sold in the state of Iowa that year.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Talked about my dream car earlier, and saw a few people talking about what they really wanted in a car. Guys, you can stop reading now, because you will NEVER identify with this.

I'm altitudinally challenged...and cars are designed for people that are taller than me. Trying to find a comfortable car for ME to commute in is an exercise in frustration. In order to comfortably reach the pedals, I have to jack the seat forward all the way. This results a couple of new problems: if there is a deep skirt on the dash below the steering wheel, I bash my knee every time I move from gas to brake & back. In addition to the knee issue the love that car manufacturers have for airbags has created a generation of cars with thick padding on the steering wheel that covers the airbag. With the seat all the way forward, my boobs are resting on the steering wheel. If I move the seat back to get away from the steering wheel, I can't comfortably reach the pedals. Catch 22. My biggest fear, tho, is that someday I will get in an accident, the airbag will deploy, and the explosive device used to deploy it will take half my face and all of my hair with it.

I HATE car shopping. And I especially hate car shopping when I know exactly what I want/need, and the salesperson ignores me & talks to my husband. That's why I will drive Elmer until he's a pile of rust on wheels. :)

Sounds like you need to go this route.

[video=youtube;TQ3wXC5jqKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TQ3wXC5jqKE[/video]

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Back in the '80s I was working for a bank in Missouri. Financed a Yugo because the girl was cute. The car was, of course, a POS and the girl couldn't repay the loan. Ended up having to repo the crappy thing. My boss told me to GIVE it to anyone that would take it. The best part? Dated the girl for a while. :cool:

Help Support Us

Become a patron