Friday OT - Digging for Gold

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What is a very-unknown site or recommendation you have about a place you know well?

This is a terrible example - but my grandparents used to live NW of Boone, IA, so they showed us the Milton Lott grace several times when I was growing up, and told us the story: https://pubs.lib.uiowa.edu/palimpsest/article/id/25182/download/pdf/
(That is overall very much a story told through the lens of the homesteaders, rather than the indigenous people, but the death of a child is tragic regardless.)

Do you know any hidden gems in an area that you can share?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you like history there is the Bonnie and Clyde shootout site and museum in Dexter. One of my former middle school teachers is a Bonnie and Clyde historian and he still puts on some lectures and presentations occasionally I think about the shootout.
Bonnie and Clyde Dexfield Park Shootout, Dexter, Iowa (roadsideamerica.com)
Bonnie and Clyde Shootout Souvenirs, Dexter, Iowa (roadsideamerica.com)

Not local to Iowa but if you are ever traveling through Wyoming make a stop in Thermopolis. Pretty neat area tucked into a mountain valley near the Wind River Reservation.
Home - Hot Springs Wyoming Tourism (thermopolis.com)

They have the world's largest hot springs a dinosaur museum with an active dig site, a buffalo preservation where you can literally drive out into and get pretty close to the herd and not have all the tourist traffic you would have at Yellowstone to deal with, and just north a little over 10 miles is the Wyoming Whiskey distillery.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you like history there is the Bonnie and Clyde shootout site and museum in Dexter. One of my former middle school teachers is a Bonnie and Clyde historian and he still puts on some lectures and presentations occasionally I think about the shootout.
Bonnie and Clyde Dexfield Park Shootout, Dexter, Iowa (roadsideamerica.com)
Bonnie and Clyde Shootout Souvenirs, Dexter, Iowa (roadsideamerica.com)

Not local to Iowa but if you are ever traveling through Wyoming make a stop in Thermopolis. Pretty neat area tucked into a mountain valley near the Wind River Reservation.
Home - Hot Springs Wyoming Tourism (thermopolis.com)

They have the world's largest hot springs a dinosaur museum with an active dig site, a buffalo preservation where you can literally drive out into and get pretty close to the herd and not have all the tourist traffic you would have at Yellowstone to deal with, and just north a little over 10 miles is the Wyoming Whiskey distillery.
But can you pet the buffalo?

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What is a very-unknown site or recommendation you have about a place you know well?

This is a terrible example - but my grandparents used to live NW of Boone, IA, so they showed us the Milton Lott grace several times when I was growing up, and told us the story: https://pubs.lib.uiowa.edu/palimpsest/article/id/25182/download/pdf/
(That is overall very much a story told through the lens of the homesteaders, rather than the indigenous people, but the death of a child is tragic regardless.)

That's pretty interesting.

I think a lot of people forget that for a period of time, Iowa was very much the "wild west".

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
But can you pet the buffalo?
LOL nope. You can get pretty dang close though as they are used to cars driving on the paved paths they have where they roam. Have probably driven within 20 feet or so of them sometimes I bet. It's funny because my brother lives in town there so they see the buffalo all the time so when we went to Yellowstone once and you'd see a bunch of people pulled over to look at something it would usually be buffalo and he's say "it's just stupid buffalo people!" Well not everyone has a herd of them that lives right outside of their town they can see any day!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Having went to elementary school in Boone, I remember the Milton Lott story all too well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Lily lane I believe?

Help Support Us

Become a patron