Friday OT - Biggest Oops

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In college I worked part time at a daycare. One of the kids there I knew was a big Iowa State fan who always went to games with her parents. On the Monday after the 2007 Iowa/Iowa State game I asked her if she had gone to the game. She replied by saying "I saw you there. You stopped and played catch with me and my dad for like 20 minutes." Needless to say, I was good and drunk and had absolutely no recollection of having seen her, let alone playing catch with her for 20 minutes. That made for an interesting explanation to a 3rd grader why I had no memory of having spent 20 minutes with her.

I would have gone with this.

mib.jpeg

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
My wife (fiance at the time) and I rented a U-Haul trailer to move all of our belongings to St. Louis right after I graduated. We arrived too late to get into our apartment, so we spent the night in a hotel. My wife looked out the window in the morning to find the trailer was gone. We had the trailer locked, but I never thought to chain and lock it to the hitch on the car. When we called U-Haul, their response was this happens all the time. Wish they would have suggested we lock it! My parent's insurance stopped covering me as soon as I pulled out of our driveway. My wife's stuff was insured, because she was still in school.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
My wife (fiance at the time) and I rented a U-Haul trailer to move all of our belongings to St. Louis right after I graduated. We arrived too late to get into our apartment, so we spent the night in a hotel. My wife looked out the window in the morning to find the trailer was gone. We had the trailer locked, but I never thought to chain and lock it to the hitch on the car. When we called U-Haul, their response was this happens all the time. Wish they would have suggested we lock it! My parent's insurance stopped covering me as soon as I pulled out of our driveway. My wife's stuff was insured, because she was still in school.

Man, that sucks!

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
I had tickets to the big ok state football victory. Decided it wasn't worth the drive from Omaha as it was a week day iirc and thought we'd get blown out anyway.

Stupid stupid stupid.

I pretty much did the same thing. Had a friend ask me to go to the game, but decided to do something else (don't remember what now) because I figured they would get blown out. I didn't even turn the game on until about 5 minutes left in the game. Couldn't believe what I was watching. Kicking myself ever since.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When I was about 9, my parents took us on a vacation out west. The original plan was to eventually wind up at his hunting guide's place in Montana. But, with five kids 3 to 11, fights over who was touching who etc, we turned around in Wyoming and headed back home.

Ever the jokester, as we turned onto the road leading up to our house, I gasped, "Oh my God, the trailer's gone!"

When my dad whipped his head around, I knew I'd said the wrong thing. He reached back and started swatting kids, until he had to shift in reverse to back into the driveway.

45 years later, that phrase still gets brought up at family gatherings.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
When I was about 9, my parents took us on a vacation out west. The original plan was to eventually wind up at his hunting guide's place in Montana. But, with five kids 3 to 11, fights over who was touching who etc, we turned around in Wyoming and headed back home.

Ever the jokester, as we turned onto the road leading up to our house, I gasped, "Oh my God, the trailer's gone!"

When my dad whipped his head around, I knew I'd said the wrong thing. He reached back and started swatting kids, until he had to shift in reverse to back into the driveway.

45 years later, that phrase still gets brought up at family gatherings.

Somewhat similar story - they were trying out a brand new chopper wagon at the farm one time. My brother was riding with my grandpa as they brought it back up the hill. Brother says "Gampa, where the wagon go?" I guess our grandpa had forgotten to put the clip through the pin and the pin bounced out. Wagon went from "new" to "very used" rather quickly when it hit the trees in the timber.

I don't think it was full but can't remember if we had actually bought it yet or were just trying it out. Either way, not good.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
one more story that my dad's cousin loves to tell every time he visits.

One time when he and my dad were in their teens, they were helping with corn harvest. About halfway up the hill on the opposite side from the chopper wagon story (farm is right on top of a hill), grandpa is hauling a load up and the buggy comes loose from the tractor. Grandpa throws the tractor in park and jumps off screaming, swearing and chases the buggy down the hill.

My dad and his cousin are at the top watching this all go down and dad turns and goes "so you think he's going to catch it?"

We all die hearing this in person because this cousin nails dad's inflections and it's just hilarious.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Friends and I stole a bunch of road signs in high school and college. Didn't get caught in the act, which looking back on is amazing we didn't. And it was nothing like a stop sign, dead end or anything major that would cause a traffic incident. Well I had them all hanging up in my apartment at Freddy and a buddy of mine had one in his car he thought he should add to the collection. Well the CA saw him bring it into my apartment, cops came the next day and took them all. Being most of the signs said xyz county on the back and I was the only one in the apartment from xyz county, cops pinned it all on me. Of which there was about 8 signs, I took about two. One was even legally purchased. Was charged and pleaded guilty to 5th degree theft. Not one of my brighter spots in my young life. Of course, then there was the disciplinary action through ISU too and having to live the straight and narrow afterwards or end up getting kicked out.

On the bright side, since it was all on my record (for two years) the friends paid the fine/court costs.

During that stretch there was a couple signs I had at home. Still have them to this day. Double Jeopardy!!!

Haven't had any incidents with the law since this. (even driving)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
This thread just has so much potential.

This one is very minor compared with some of these, but I was communicating over e-mail and noticed this woman's last name had changed. I normally wouldn't say anything but said I noticed the change, did you just get married? No, divorced. Glad this was over e-mail and not in person.

Similar story...I was in my boss's office and he took a call on speakerphone from a name he didn't recognize on the caller ID. When she started talking, we both recognized her voice from working with her in the past.

He said, "Oh, (old name) did you get married?"
Her: "Nope, divorced"
Him, awkwardly "Oh...uhh....sorry to hear about that"
Her: "Don't be, best thing that's happened to me in a long time"

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Similar story...I was in my boss's office and he took a call on speakerphone from a name he didn't recognize on the caller ID. When she started talking, we both recognized her voice from working with her in the past.

Whenever someone tells me they just got first, I tell them congrats. Playing statistically safe, they likely are relieved to have it done.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I will add one.

Wife was pregnant with our first one and had just taken maternity leave so was sitting home a lot feeling fat.

Was driving to a seed meeting with a group of guys and the conversation turned into old sex stories. Just got a new smartphone (2006 it was a windows CE slider phone). I must have said my wife's name before telling my story. The phone called her without me knowing. She got a voicemail that consisted of me telling everyone about a time that involved a hood of a car outside of a party and my roommates cheering me on (It was college, don't judge!!!). Worst part was that it was a friend of hers that I met before my wife, and up to that point my wife didn't know we had a past!

She didn't talk to me until it was time to go into the hospital.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I will add one.

Wife was pregnant with our first one and had just taken maternity leave so was sitting home a lot feeling fat.

Was driving to a seed meeting with a group of guys and the conversation turned into old sex stories. Just got a new smartphone (2006 it was a windows CE slider phone). I must have said my wife's name before telling my story. The phone called her without me knowing. She got a voicemail that consisted of me telling everyone about a time that involved a hood of a car outside of a party and my roommates cheering me on (It was college, don't judge!!!). Worst part was that it was a friend of hers that I met before my wife, and up to that point my wife didn't know we had a past!

She didn't talk to me until it was time to go into the hospital.

I know this is taking this a bit off topic, but I'll never understand why people obsess over their partners sexual past. Unless they've got an STD that needs to be disclosed, I don't see how it matters who or with how many people they've slept with.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I know this is taking this a bit off topic, but I'll never understand why people obsess over their partners sexual past. Unless they've got an STD that needs to be disclosed, I don't see how it matters who or with how many people they've slept with.

I would think that in this case,

-the fact that it was a friend of hers
-the fact that he was re-telling the story to his friends, even though she didn't know it
-the fact that she was apparently pretty well pregnant and likely not feeling attractive

probably played into it more than just that he had a prior sexual experience itself.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

-the fact that he was re-telling the story to his friends, even though she didn't know it
-the fact that she was apparently pretty well pregnant and likely not feeling attractive

probably played into it more than just that he had a prior sexual experience itself.

Yep. Multiple things made it bad.

Wife pulled up some wedding pictures not long ago and there is a picture of said girl giving me a hug outside of church. We just skipped right over that one!!!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I get the last point because pregnant women are crazy and illogical (sorry Angie).

But the other two are a stretch. He met her before his wife, and unless she required him to give up all sexual history, I don't see why recanting that tale to her would be beneficial.

On the other hand, all women are pretty crazy.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA

I did this, almost word for word with a teacher in High School in front of the whole class.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
At a former job, I had a co-worker who played a different prank on his pregnant wife while their first child was still an infant. He pretended to hear noise from the baby's room, said "I'll take care of her," went to the baby's room (who was sleeping) and picked up a doll he'd hidden in there.

He called out to his wife for help. When she came in, he smacked the doll on the bottom, which launched the doll right into the wall.

He didn't get very detailed about what happened next. A year or two later, he was single.

I'll move that to my list of pranks never to try. Bet that guy put no a lot on his spreadsheet after that

Last edited: