Friday OT#2: Not Dying in 2018

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Travelling to Florida this spring, DC this summer and, possibly, a cruise this fall for our 20th anniversary.

Also, I get to complete a FAFSA.

I wish you would have specified which type of Oreos. The traditional ones are OK but I probably could eat a whole package of the golden ones.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
We had our first kid last year and I went full dad bod. This year's goal is to de-dad bod-ize myself.

Good luck. Having kids is a one way ticket to fatty town. I struggled with new dad weight after both of my kids were born. I usually weigh in around 210 and after both kids I got up around 225 or 230 before I got things back under control. It's not even the diet so much, although that doesn't help. I think it's mostly the lack of sleep - that's the thing that makes you lazy and/or tired and enables all the other bad habits that cause the weight gain.

• Agree
Reactions: sadam

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I anticipated this kind of response. Thanks for all your "friendly" concerns. The conception is not my concern here. Practice has remained quite entertaining.

I am 38 and my wife is 31, so practice is quite fun actually.
I have a 10 year old boy and 8 year old boy from my first marriage, but according to my wife, they don't count towards her total!
We just had our first boy together in August of 2016.

The main goal for the missus is to try for the elusive Hopp girl. I have one nephew and my three boys, so the rest of my family and her family all want to buy pick crap.

Mrs HipHopp assures me that if we get a 4th boy that she will quit while she's behind. I am skeptical.
She is thinking that if I "make the deposit" this spring, that our youngest will be 2.5 by the time little sibling is born. "That should be plenty of space between kids" she says. I am not sure. Owen is a handful right now at 16 months. He's going to be easier to handle in 16 more months?

My main concerns are:
Getting a 4th boy and her still not being happy
Having room in our house for 4 kids. There is a bonus room in the basement that we could have our oldest go to, but I don't know if he'll be ready/mature enough to move to the basement.
Being able to afford expenses for another kid. It wont be terrible, but still. Kids cost money.

I am mostly just being the conservative one in the house since she's still got the baby fever. I love all of our kids, and I'm not opposed to having another kid if the time is right and we can handle it. I'm just not as sure as she is that we can hack it as soon as the spring of 2019.

Here's my unsolicited advice - if you and the wife really want another one, there's never going to be a better or ideal time to do it. A two and a half year old probably isn't going to be any easier to corral than a four year old, and if you wait that long then you start second guessing whether you should have another one at all because you're both getting older, and meanwhile the other kids are getting older and getting into more activities...my point is, if your wife wants another kid and you're on board, then you may as well get right to it.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Mrs HipHopp assures me that if we get a 4th boy that she will quit while she's behind. I am skeptical.
She is thinking that if I "make the deposit" this spring, that our youngest will be 2.5 by the time little sibling is born. "That should be plenty of space between kids" she says. I am not sure. Owen is a handful right now at 16 months. He's going to be easier to handle in 16 more months?

Our #1 and #2 are 2.5 years apart. Didn't seem too bad. #2 and #3 will be almost exactly 2 years apart.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here's my unsolicited advice - if you and the wife really want another one, there's never going to be a better or ideal time to do it. A two and a half year old probably isn't going to be any easier to corral than a four year old, and if you wait that long then you start second guessing whether you should have another one at all because you're both getting older, and meanwhile the other kids are getting older and getting into more activities...my point is, if your wife wants another kid and you're on board, then you may as well get right to it.

I will throw in, kids 2-3 years apart will entertain each other somewhat. Gap them far enough and they will always be interested in way different things.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I will throw in, kids 2-3 years apart will entertain each other somewhat. Gap them far enough and they will always be interested in way different things.

Our two are five and half years apart. It's worked out pretty well so far. The six year old is a little squirrelly but he generally loves being a big brother and helping out around the house.

Reactions: BCClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Oh, another reason I would like to space 3 and 4 out more, is that my mom is currently providing day care for the little guy (and my nephew). If we throw another kid at her before Owen is at least in preschool I think she might get overloaded. She won't like it, but I might try to get the missus to hold off one more year and have #4 when #3 is 3.5 instead of 2.5.

I am by no means against having a 4th. I think we can do it. I'm just not sure getting started this spring/summer is the best timing.

In the end I will make my wife happy. One way or another. ;)

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Oh, another reason I would like to space 3 and 4 out more, is that my mom is currently providing day care for the little guy (and my nephew). If we throw another kid at her before Owen is at least in preschool I think she might get overloaded. She won't like it, but I might try to get the missus to hold off one more year and have #4 when #3 is 3.5 instead of 2.5.

I am by no means against having a 4th. I think we can do it. I'm just not sure getting started this spring/summer is the best timing.

In the end I will make my wife happy. One way or another. ;)
IYKWIMAITYKWIM

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

along these lines, what's the smallest gap HipHop would be ok with? Start from there because it may take longer than expected to have a successful deposit.

My siblings and I are all 2 years apart pretty much on the nose. 2.5 years seems very typical. I won't comment on whether it's easy, but it's what a lot of people do if my FB feed full of toddlers announcing their coming sibling is any indication.

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
along these lines, what's the smallest gap HipHop would be ok with? Start from there because it may take longer than expected to have a successful deposit.

My siblings and I are all 2 years apart pretty much on the nose. 2.5 years seems very typical. I won't comment on whether it's easy, but it's what a lot of people do if my FB feed full of toddlers announcing their coming sibling is any indication.

I can live with 2.5. I don't know if my mom, who watches Owen, can handle 2.5 and a newborn.
We are well aware that it will probably take more than one proton torpedo shot to hit the central reactor. We started trying for Owen a few months before I blew up that Deathstar.

I think that's why Mrs HipHopp wants to start trying when she does. If it ends up being later, then they will still be around 3 years apart.

Mrs HipHopp is a teacher, so ideally she would like to pop out #4 with 6 weeks left to go in the school year, then get 6 weeks plus summer vacation for maternity.

Owen was born on the first day of school in 2016, so she just got her 6 weeks off to start that year.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Translation: Get busy Hippity Hopp

Reactions: cyhiphopp

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Hoping to NOT spend much more money on our house. In the last 18 months we've put in:

New windows, new roof, new central air/air exchange, new boiler, new dishwasher, upgraded some lighting, and worked on the septic. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

That is impressive. We only put in a new furnace and water heater the past few months and that was enough. We have three windows we want to replace but it isn't urgent.

Our goal for the year is to not having any surgeries or major medical expenses. I have getting back to flying so that will be nice. Overall just kind of live without anything major coming up aka boring.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
That is impressive. We only put in a new furnace and water heater the past few months and that was enough. We have three windows we want to replace but it isn't urgent.

Our goal for the year is to not having any surgeries or major medical expenses. I have getting back to flying so that will be nice. Overall just kind of live without anything major coming up aka boring.
I want to get new siding, windows and doors this year. In fact I really should start looking into it as you can get deals in the winter because business is obviously slower at this time of year.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid