Friday OT #1: Whatcha Gonna Do?

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Seems to be somewhat of a generational divide. For my parents' generation, seems like most go with embalming and burial in a casket. Not sure where the exact age cutoff is, but to over-generalize, it seems like many under ~50 years old prefer cremation.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Cremation... Then scatter a little bit (discreetly and with class) on the ISU campus.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
My wife passed away this August - way too young with cancer that progressed way too fast. She was cremated because she "didn't want bugs in the casket" even though we explained this won't happen.

She had an open casket visitation and then the casket was closed right before the funeral. She was buried in her parent's cemetery. A portion of the ashes were kept behind to be scattered in the woods she used to hike in.

As much as it sounds like a good idea, when it comes to the real thing, there is nothing fun about a funeral.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Currently I have it setup in my will to cremate me into a biodegradable urns with a tree and plant the trees at the family farm. Though the location may change. Currently set at a Red and Yellow maple and to be planted near each other so in the fall it’s a brilliant display of colors.

Funeral wise I have a church mass with a party afterwards where the bar is rented out and it’s an open tab paid for by my estate. Want it to be fun and I’ve requested a “roast” but I doubt my friends are gonna follow through with that one but as long as there’s food and drinks and stories

Reactions: NWICY

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Thanks so much to @NWICY for this idea!

What do you intend to do with your body when you die. Typical funeral and grave, cremation, Viking style funeral pyre boat, funeral pyre, launched and set off in fireworks display?

Viking funeral would be DOPE! Hopefully my Boy Scout son is better at archery by then so he can get the flaming arrow out to the boat.

Also, we were playing JackBox the other day and there was a question: "What song do you want played at your funeral?"
@Angie , this is a potential future Friday topic. ;)

I told my boys, I don't want a song played. I want the three of them to sing Bohemian Rhapsody, in it's entirety, at my funeral.

We'll see whose voice is the highest at that point, but my standards are pretty lofty.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Viking funeral would be DOPE! Hopefully my Boy Scout son is better at archery by then so he can get the flaming arrow out to the boat.

Also, we were playing JackBox the other day and there was a question: "What song do you want played at your funeral?"

I told my boys, I don't want a song played. I want the three of them to sing Bohemian Rhapsody, in it's entirety, at my funeral.

We'll see whose voice is the highest at that point, but my standards are pretty lofty.

If we have the fourth kid my wife wants, I expect the lights to go down and for this to happen:

giphy.gif

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

You've got to send this to me, and I'll add it to the queue! <3

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I like the idea of a closed casket and a relaxed visitation. Then burial in the church cemetery next to my extended family. As a Christian I believe this world is not my home, and there is joy in the eternity. But that is my view.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Cremated and buried at the Iowa Veterans Cemetery. Sill have to make the cemetery arrangement though...

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My mother passed away last year less than 24 hours before the Baylor game at the Jack. She sternly said, "I don't want you kids having a funeral for me. Instead I want you to get together at a different time next year and celebrate me by having pizza and beer.." So... that is exactly what we did! Far better than a funeral.

• Friendly

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
My mother passed away last year less than 24 hours before the Baylor game at the Jack. She sternly said, "I don't want you kids having a funeral for me. Instead I want you to get together at a different time next year and celebrate me by having pizza and beer.." So... that is exactly what we did! Far better than a funeral.

There is definitely something to be said for waiting so that the sadness and grief isn't so raw and that you can truly reminisce rather than being a prisoner of the moment.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
How much money would I have to endow to State to have the drumline do a step show in my small hometown? (yeah, I know, would have to buy the town some steps, first)

I'm guessing a direct donation to the band would be the most economical way to do this.

Reactions: pourcyne

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Well I haven't decided yet, but at my memorial service I want the ISU fight song to be the last song played and a hand out for anyone there that doesn't know the words so they can sing along.

I do think getting cremated and loaded into fireworks and set off for a nice display (or maybe just in a big Chrysanthemum shell) would be kind of cool.

Gonna have to get buried 10 yards instead of 6 feet deep. THATS ANOTHER CYCLONE...

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Since quite a few have mentioned being cremated, I wanted to share this:

We have a friend that lost his Dad suddenly. His Dad was in his early 50’s. He was cremated. A few months later, the family took part of the ashes to a glass blower. Each person had a glass item made and the ashes were added to it. The family brought along a few drinks and reminisced while their items were made.

I think a few in the family had Christmas ornaments made. This is a wine glass our friend’s Mom had made with his Dad’s ashes in the glass.

67995A57-1CCC-4C37-AEF6-4DFC3E7EBEF0.jpeg 187095AD-3F0B-4B2D-80D6-7FCCF5C28178.jpeg

Anyway…I just thought it was kind of a unique thing to do.