Friday OT #1 - Singers Harmonize Til They Can't Hear Anything

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I do really enjoy Simon Estes for outdoor venues. I've seen some of my favorite bands there (Black Crowes & Turnpike Troubadours), and it's always cool when they take the stage just before sundown and you get to watch the sun set behind the band with the Des Moines river and downtown skyline as your back drop.
The issue with Estes is the water levels cancel so many events it seems like.
I do think it's a cool spot. Last show I saw there was maybe Dwight Yoakum and he was great.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I second this on Sokol.
Sokol Auditorium was a fine place for a show, but the Underground was its own special sweaty, sticky mess - very Lumpy’s vibes, minus the urine.

The Ranch Bowl was a ****hole, but it was MY ****hole. What a dump. I miss it.

Reactions: JM4CY and Angie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The issue with Estes is the water levels cancel so many events it seems like.
I do think it's a cool spot. Last show I saw there was maybe Dwight Yoakum and he was great.

Do they even use Simon Estes any more? I thought it was a cool venue as well but it seems like the type of act that would usually go there now goes to Water Works.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
In high school we'd go see a local band at Hairy Mary's in the Drake neighborhood (I think it's now Lefty's). I'll never forget for one of the opening acts the guy behind the bar came up on stage, screamed for 30 minutes straight and just headed back to the bar. Those were the days.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Do they even use Simon Estes any more? I thought it was a cool venue as well but it seems like the type of act that would usually go there now goes to Water Works.
I think so? Nitefall on the river was fun. IIRC Woolys was usually the backup rain location.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Sokol Auditorium was a fine place for a show, but the Underground was its own special sweaty, sticky mess - very Lumpy’s vibes, minus the urine.

I only went to Sokol once but I had heard from multiple people that the Underground was awesome.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Red Rocks. Cool as hell. Pain in the ass to get to and leave after a show.

Where do people park? I was out there last summer and couldn't figure that out. I had tickets for the show on Sunday but couldn't make it out but I was going to take a shuttle from Union Station.

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011
Back in the 90's I saw some fantastic shows at the old Super Toad off of NE 14th. Little River Band and the Offspring are shows that stick out the most - very different performances but the venue was awesome.

Also can't forget the Val Air. Talk about a hot sticky mess at Rob Zombie in the early 2000's.

Reactions: Angie

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Where do people park? I was out there last summer and couldn't figure that out. I had tickets for the show on Sunday but couldn't make it out but I was going to take a shuttle from Union Station.
There's a relatively small parking lot but it fills up long before the show so people can hang out and party which is really fun and I fully support. Everyone else pretty much parks on the side of the one road that leads out there. Great venue though!

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah I saw that lot. It's been on my bucket list for a LONG tome so I was bummed I couldn't make it work.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Agreed.

I saw Dropkick Murphys in thr underground, that was ****** sweet.

The Ranch Bowl was a dump, but I could sneak in while in high school as I was big into the stuff that played there a lot

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI for sure.

WQVp6nmnTL6INCcOUbyD10CA_lbjem7xph3I8nYNJJ9_qM-Cm7Ux1LKcZ1TFeo4HRu0WN8Rp-yJS6o3KUhAJa9GGPgPlSirWRbh8YXpX9iGwioWkE3qe913GFCX25RgH1Sg7T_jGgn9zGscgmMKMTMswtsrckuaUqS2BEfYzmHHv_lIDo-Zw4jRkfAleySH00_iOSgrfuQJgq447UpYsYmEKkFqvoTRSGa3gZ1vy_OE_HfxHvJVKXKMpUeRvD9RO8O5kHWV1GwVKlFn45baUBkIHlLXiuqCMAfdzoq0Ls4_aT-vmBMqmsguHBLSCEBuc3zYdIe7AxNNq1O7RUyIo7Il_9GGMMNzHhIqfqfAsaroQEJF1T08RasAQOsRal4Ihg4e1D4h79L6FP6EgrWhxzP4NPkgmON4gxJfJCKTFTRWEoMHfe4I39pponqwM1vtNi5suvtzdiPyAXeduSuMaDb7aAPmXVI4NsHO92oGs78ENrrJqCU6PkKtqexONOxnkxzaIGJ8ZrW-RUkIco5rAZbRH0D0czEZQTHVDRiTFWoQZCdFxzgVZOGnEAyNqWeHTZARiqGs8wbYn8iPLwCgzoMgnP33U_4P6DWd3YGq3VXxs1icexd2XAk1XUdMU5PnAPhf23BHe8YS6wSaxmMqghQV_fIf_n5CRo7bqnBgLV-lboCzywJ1PsKEVWqv4l9NwfFQsiz7BMvbEI1dPi4Xb8EIeVHQ28BoSh_OyLQiaRX5cNU9o_pM5AYJUDNErUIQJ7G3cDucctVvTPo2Uft4NeKFDHGm5U6z2vl5L2BLk-mhph_m9VgRj=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
In Santa Rosa, California, there is a theater that used to be (I think the name has changed now) known as the Luther Burbank Center for the Performing Arts. It was an old church that folded in the early 80s, I believe. Venue held about 1500 people and retained the original church pews for seating. There is a small balcony with seating and SRO as well. Not a bad vantage point in the place. When I worked for a music store that has a Ticketmaster outlet, we had easy access to those shows and could find great seats. I saw many performers from the front (or nearly front) row, including Barbara Mandrell (multiple times), Tanya Tucker, Bananarama, Expose', Joe Satriani. It's been renovated, I believe, so I don't think there are pews any longer. But I'm sure it's still a good place to see a show, just because of the smaller size.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
There's a relatively small parking lot but it fills up long before the show so people can hang out and party which is really fun and I fully support. Everyone else pretty much parks on the side of the one road that leads out there. Great venue though!
Lol what are you talking about.. there is one lot at the top like you say, but there are three huge gravel lots that are maybe a 15 minute walk away

The hike up from the lots is part of the experience. Slam a couple of beers on the way and have the vape pen ready to go once you're inside.

After the show you hang back for 15 min while the rush dies down and the leaving experience is so much better

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Before they closed it, my favorite indoor venue was the Beaumont Club here in KC. I saw a ton of great shows there over the years.

Outdoor venue - Red Rocks. The overall vibe about that place is incredible.

@Angie, thanks for getting this song stuck in my head all morning with that thread title

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Before they closed it, my favorite indoor venue was the Beaumont Club here in KC. I saw a ton of great shows there over the years.

Outdoor venue - Red Rocks. The overall vibe about that place is incredible.

@Angie, thanks for getting this song stuck in my head all morning with that thread title

My 7-year-old has had me play it in the car about 47 times this week, so I'm sharing the love. ;)

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Help Support Us

Become a patron