Friday OT #1 - Disposable Darling

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Turkey
Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie
Mashed potatoes (they're fine but better options on T-day)
tenor.gif

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'll agree with cranberry sauce at the top of the bottom of the pile.

No love for pumpkin pie either. I have eaten one piece as long as the ratio of whipped topping to pumpkin pie is approximately 1:1. Much prefer a fruit based pie.

Mashed potatoes are probably my least favorite variety of potatoes. I used to always make parsleyed potatoes. With a bit of browning on the edges and drowning in a delicious butter/olive oil and garlic mixture.

Stuffing should be slightly moist to dry but flavorful. Soggy stuffing is unacceptable.

I happen to LOVE good pickled beets.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When I was little, we would serve cranberry sauce, but then realized that nobody really ate it. So we decided to go away with it. This year, my wife wants to have cranberry sauce. If it were me, I'd wouldn't deal with it.

My friends serve an awesome cranberry sauce. Made from scratch with whole cranberries and apple. It's pretty awesome, a little tart and a little sweet. They know I dig it so they send some home with me and I freeze it and use it later on pork lion. There are whole berry canned sauces which are not bad and like 10X better than the clear jelled stuff which is really just jelly.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbindm

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, canned cranberry sauce, apple crisp, homemade rolls are where it's at.
Sweet potatoes can be great, but as previously stated putting marshmallows on top is an abomination, no qualms with a good green been casserole, CANNED CRANBERRY SAUCE!?!?!? NICE TRY SATAN

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Turkey. And I'm not alone here. It's been off the in-laws' Thanksgiving menu for almost a decade now and nobody misses it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Stuffing should be slightly moist to dry but flavorful. Soggy stuffing is unacceptable.

Dressing that was actually stuffed in a bird and all soggy is gross. I like the top or corners from a pan that a little crisp on top. Byerlys makes a pretty good sage dressing ready to bake from their deli which is my go to. the used to also have this awesome dressing with wild rice in it but haven't seen that in years. :(

And lost in time is the dressing my late aunt and uncle served. We called it hamburger dressing because IIRC it had a small bit of burger mixed in. It was pretty delish.

Same friend that makes the good cranberry sauce also makes a killer cornbread dressing which I'll be chowing down on net Thursday.

Reactions: khardbored

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Turkey. And I'm not alone here. It's been off the in-laws' Thanksgiving menu for almost a decade now and nobody misses it.

Turkey on Thanksgiving is just so embedded in our culture that I was well into adulthood before I realized that as a centerpiece of the meal, it's really pretty blah. Dark meat helps but I'm not a huge gravy guy either. But I think it pays to try to be creative. Years ago we deep-fried a turkey and it was great, though obviously a massive hassle. I might try to smoke one this year.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My friends serve an awesome cranberry sauce. Made from scratch with whole cranberries and apple. It's pretty awesome, a little tart and a little sweet. They know I dig it so they send some home with me and I free it and use it later on pork lion. There are whole berry canned sauces which are not bad and like 10X better than the clear jelled stuff which is really just jelly.

It's all in the texture. What you're describing sounds kind of like a chutney.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Turkey for me. It just isn't that good. My favorite is stuffing, I love stuffing.

Christmas isn't a holiday centered around food, but I look forward to our Christmas eve meal more than our thanksgiving one because we have prime rib on christmas eve every year.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Oven roasting the turkey. The only way to do a turkey is to deep fry in peanut oil or brine it, then smoke/grill it best tasting turkey ever!!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

My side does ham. In-laws still do turkey but then we take a bunch of leftovers to do turkey noodle soup with. Think I'm going to try pot pie this year too.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Turkey
Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie
Mashed potatoes (they're fine but better options on T-day)

Mashed potatoes are a tough road. If they are skin-on, with sour cream and cream cheese, they're great. If they're too mushy or bland, why bother?