Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Fran's buyout drops to $5.4 million on April 1, so I wouldn't be shocked if Beth makes a move. Another year of embarrassing attendance and no post season will be tough to take.

• Informative
Reactions: g4ce

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I would say not just football, but whatever is winning. Try talking any sport, they change the subject to Karen Clark. If their baseball team is good thus year, they will talk abt that. Wrestling is usually big too.

Front runners. They love a winner, whatever it is that is getting them attention and stroking their egos.
In fairness who doesn't love a winning team? Some posters made a big deal about the ISU tennis team though not as many as Iowa fans popping wood over their baseball team.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Fran's buyout drops to $5.4 million on April 1, so I wouldn't be shocked if Beth makes a move. Another year of embarrassing attendance and no post season will be tough to take.
Where are you getting that figure? I'm not saying you're wrong but I was under the impression the buyout was closer to $8 or $9 million.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not being able to pay a bill has never stopped them before.
Really? I guess for settling lawsuits.
Kirk F and Mad Fran haven't been close to being fired for over a decade.
I predict they both get to choose when they leave... likely by retirement.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Where are you getting that figure? I'm not saying you're wrong but I was under the impression the buyout was closer to $8 or $9 million.
It was reported by multiple people on Hawkeye message board, but I've not verified it's accuracy.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They can’t even afford to give MBB any NIL money apparently, they’re not going to have funds for that buyout.
Not to mention that they missed their window. If Fran getting the boot was being discussed, I guarantee Devries would have been contacted. The fact that he took the WVU job is an indicator that A) Iowa is not getting rid of Fran or B) Devries didn't care that the job might be open (which would be an absolutely damning commentary on how the Iowa job is viewed)

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

I calculate the total to be $8.52M. That would be 60% of his remaining years (2024-2025 season through 2027-2028 season)

I am also assuming the information provided is his current contract

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Not to mention that they missed their window. If Fran getting the boot was being discussed, I guarantee Devries would have been contacted. The fact that he took the WVU job is an indicator that A) Iowa is not getting rid of Fran or B) Devries didn't care that the job might be open (which would be an absolutely damning commentary on how the Iowa job is viewed)

I have heard through the grapevine Devries was not that interested in the job since they don't give any NIL.

Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I have heard through the grapevine Devries was not that interested in the job since they don't give any NIL.
If that's the book on Iowa in coaching circles, they're going to have a very hard time getting anyone with a proven track record to replace Fran

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
If that's the book on Iowa in coaching circles, they're going to have a very hard time getting anyone with a proven track record to replace Fran
Maybe transformational wonder woman Caitlin Clark can coach the men's team in her spare time? More fans would likely attend, and she can easily out-fran Fran when it comes to blowing her top.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This is just a guess but I am guessing the problem with their NIL is more about their coach than not wanting to support basketball. I imagine with the right guy to sell the program they would get money coming in. And I also think a lot of the "we don't have enough money to get transfers" crowd are Fran apologists who make excuses on why he doesn't land guys in the portal. I have tried to bring up before to people that say they don't have money to get top transfers that that excuse is BS because you don't need top transfers. You can find solid players to add to your roster to fill it out and add depth without paying a ton.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is just a guess but I am guessing the problem with their NIL is more about their coach than not wanting to support basketball. I imagine with the right guy to sell the program they would get money coming in. And I also think a lot of the "we don't have enough money to get transfers" crowd are Fran apologists who make excuses on why he doesn't land guys in the portal. I have tried to bring up before to people that say they don't have money to get top transfers that that excuse is BS because you don't need top transfers. You can find solid players to add to your roster to fill it out and add depth without paying a ton.
Kind of like not watering a plant that you don't like

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If the Swarm could afford the rumored prices for Mclemara and Proctor I would assume they could do the same for Basketball if Fran pushed for support.

Pretty clear Fran doesn't want to dip his toes in the high level recruiting in HS or the portal thus there isn't an ask to generate the money for Basketball. Major reason he commitments are local and legacy players who have inherent push to Iowa City and not compete against real programs and NIL.
The apathy for Fran and the program as whole also contributes to donors not wanting to provide the NIL money to the program.