Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
It was reported by multiple people on Hawkeye message board, but I've not verified it's accuracy.

They probably got it from here, but I don't know if this is accurate.

Also, it can't be good when the student newspaper openly debates whether you should be fired or not.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The reality of what their program is, and the smoke and mirrors that Fran was able to subsist on for the last few years, is really smacking them in the face.

Along with the "Barta Factor". Barta was more a fund raiser than an actual Athletic Director. He really had no clue in regards to what Fran had done in the past and what type of players he was recruiting.

Barta, "Fran just won the B1G tournament title! Better back up the Brinks truck to his door as we need to lock him up for a few more years." Barta was a "knee jerk reaction" kinda AD and not a "let's step back and take a look at things first" kinda AD. We all know his knee jerk reaction AD mode cost them around 7 mil in a discrimination case. With Fran on the hook yet, it's probably going to them another 5 million.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
They probably got it from here, but I don't know if this is accurate.

Also, it can't be good when the student newspaper openly debates whether you should be fired or not.

I like that we’re now being used as the example of doing things the right way

“Look across town at Iowa State. Former head coach Steve Prohm had three 20-win campaigns in his first four seasons but didn’t get past the first round of the Big Dance in the second half of his tenure until being fired in 2021. His replacement, T.J. Otzelberger, has made the Sweet 16 twice in his three seasons at Ames as the Cyclones have become a top-tier team in the Big 12.”

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Fran's buyout drops to $5.4 million on April 1, so I wouldn't be shocked if Beth makes a move. Another year of embarrassing attendance and no post season will be tough to take.
The further we go into the tournament, the worse he looks and I'm sure the more pressure from donors.

Reactions: Halincandenza

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Somebody important must still like McCaffrey. As empty as Carver was all year, a $5m buyout is nothing.

Iowa wasn't and still isn't in a position to fire Fran. He's done just enough but next season there will be a bounty out on him because Clark won't be around to serve as a distraction.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
IMO, this could be a really good thing for Fran if he decides to make it one. Shopping the transfer portal is how things work now, if you're not going to adapt as a coach, you're going to lose. He's dipped his toes in and brought in some really nice pieces for Iowa like Krikke, but it's time he changes his mindset and uses the portal to build the team he wants.

Listening to coaches like Fran and Calapari who lament the Transfer Portal makes me realize how disconnected and stubborn some of these coaches are.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don’t understand how any Hawkeye fans still want Fran to coach that team. He should’ve been gone years ago. How do they not see that Fran has a zero chance of ever taking them to a sweet 16? He’s got a high floor, but he’s got a very low ceiling as well. His range is anywhere from barely missing the NIT, to more than likely making the NIT, to being a bubble team and maybe winning a 1st round game. He’s literally the perfect coach for someone that wants Iowa to suck, and their fans and admin are too stupid to realize that.
MODs, please delete this post. We don't need the iowa administration or fans to get any ideas.

Fran is doing a fine job...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I heard national sportscaster say CC has around $3M in NIL. Fran makes $3.3M so pretty close.

View attachment 126543
The figure I saw said $3.1 million but I was recently subjected to her in what I think was an Xfinity commercial before I grabbed the remote, and that was not one of her deals listed in the $3.1 million, so guessing she’s passed Papa Frannypants

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Fran's buyout drops to $5.4 million on April 1, so I wouldn't be shocked if Beth makes a move. Another year of embarrassing attendance and no post season will be tough to take.
That would be funny as hell since all the top names will be off the board by then

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
IMO, this could be a really good thing for Fran if he decides to make it one. Shopping the transfer portal is how things work now, if you're not going to adapt as a coach, you're going to lose. He's dipped his toes in and brought in some really nice pieces for Iowa like Krikke, but it's time he changes his mindset and uses the portal to build the team he wants.

Listening to coaches like Fran and Calapari who lament the Transfer Portal makes me realize how disconnected and stubborn some of these coaches are.
Have you read Rex Chatman’s article on his time at Kentucky? Quoted that he took a pay cut to go to the NBA, paid over $750,000 to stay an extra year at Kentucky. Cry me a river!