Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think we're seeing the appreciation for teams playing defense so it'll be interesting where PMac lands.
Dudes been thru a lot. Time to enjoy the last of it. And being away from his family is probably a good thing.
Wonder if he'll land at a mid tier ACC team.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Honestly is starting to look pretty bleak for next season, especially if the Dix rumors are true. They could end up being really young and really depleted next season. Fran may be too old and tired to dig out from this hole. If he does stick around, it only gets worse for them IMO.

The pay is good. Stay until they pay you to leave.

• Agree
Reactions: CyHans

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Devries might be a great hire for WVU...and he seems like a good dude so I hope things work out for him (not at any expense of ISU's however)! But...he is not the only candidate that Iowa would attract and desire...it is a Big10 gig...they will get their pick of coaches. Sure they aren't stealing Danny Hurley away but if they wanted a successful and current HC...they could hire one...they have the money! What would be great though...is if they hire a mid-major guy and he struggles. That said...I just don't see Fran leaving without Iowa giving him a HUGE check!
Surely there's a Ferentz that could step in and coach the basketball team.

• Haha
Reactions: cyfanatic

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agree. That fanbase attaches their self-worth to whatever the football team is doing. Although the future of that program may get upended as they won’t be able to squeak out those 10-9 thrillers against BIG west division opponents. A few years of losing seasons with a lame duck aging coach and no bowl games will cause some serious diarrhea over there. Gonna be fun to watch.
I would say not just football, but whatever is winning. Try talking any sport, they change the subject to Karen Clark. If their baseball team is good thus year, they will talk abt that. Wrestling is usually big too.

Front runners. They love a winner, whatever it is that is getting them attention and stroking their egos.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
there has to be a legacy recruit or two Fran can back into isn't there?
Matt Gatens have any kids old enough yet?
Maybe they can fast-grow a Dingleberry clone, since he wont likely ever get an opportunity to reproduce the old fashioned way.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
“his watch has ended. 22 out”? I’m not sure that’s a phrasing he should be borrowing to say he’s done playing bball in college.
I'm guessing he's referencing Game of Thrones.

Reactions: Ellie1

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'd wonder if a guy would go somewhere small profile just to play ball especially if they'd had some mental/emotional stuff going on.

It would almost be refreshing to see that happen...and to see him enjoy playing the game. I don't cheer for Iowa ever...but Patrick's basketball situation is one that I wouldn't mind seeing end with a smile on his face! He has dealt with a lot in life at a young age...a lot of pressure placed upon him from different sources...hope if he wants to go out and just play...that it works for him!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It would almost be refreshing to see that happen...and to see him enjoy playing the game. I don't cheer for Iowa ever...but Patrick's basketball situation is one that I wouldn't mind seeing end with a smile on his face! He has dealt with a lot in life at a young age...a lot of pressure placed upon him from different sources...hope if he wants to go out and just play...that it works for him!
Isn't Pat the cancer survivor also?

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don’t understand how any Hawkeye fans still want Fran to coach that team. He should’ve been gone years ago. How do they not see that Fran has a zero chance of ever taking them to a sweet 16? He’s got a high floor, but he’s got a very low ceiling as well. His range is anywhere from barely missing the NIT, to more than likely making the NIT, to being a bubble team and maybe winning a 1st round game. He’s literally the perfect coach for someone that wants Iowa to suck, and their fans and admin are too stupid to realize that.

The college game has passed him by. I think he can still coach X and Os, but all of these old guys are having trouble adapting. Just look at this coaching hire cycle. Every AD wants someone young, forward thinking and charismatic. Hell Louisville basically just hired basketball PJ Fleck.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know any Hawkeye fans who would say they WANT Fran coaching them, they are just in full fledged PTSD over hiring someone else for some reason. Plus the stakes are pretty low for Hawkeye basketball right now, people don't seem to care enough to care enough about Fran.

The "some reason" is easy. They are still traumatized by ending up with Alford and then Lickliter after pushing out another guy who was in a similar position of usually making the tournament but not going much further.

I think also in Iowa in general there tends to be a greater fear of change. We have tended to hold onto our own coaches longer than other schools would too. And on a broader scale, look at some of Iowa's politicians who have held on to office forever. We love our incumbents as a state.

But man, Dr Tom was a quarter century ago now. They have enough resources to succeed, or to give it 4-5 years and spin the wheel again if the next one doesn't work out. It's probably a good thing for us that they have not.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron