Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So with Patrick in the portal does that mean that Fran may actually move on?
Honestly is starting to look pretty bleak for next season, especially if the Dix rumors are true. They could end up being really young and really depleted next season. Fran may be too old and tired to dig out from this hole. If he does stick around, it only gets worse for them IMO.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Honestly is starting to look pretty bleak for next season, especially if the Dix rumors are true. They could end up being really young and really depleted next season. Fran may be too old and tired to dig out from this hole. If he does stick around, it only gets worse for them IMO.

I'd give him another 5 years to recharge.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
If Dix doesn’t come back, Iowa have no guards

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Perkins is the worst possible loss they could have, they don't have anyone with a skillset that's even comparable to him. He's not their best player but his role is huge for their offense. If he had come back, they'd be a lock to make the tourney next year but without a big pickup in the portal (not Fran's specialty), they will just be a bunch of guys standing around waiting to shoot, it could be NIT again.
I disagree. I don't think they even sniff the NIT if things hold serve.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I couldn't imagine the fury of that with Devries leaving to WV.

Devries might be a great hire for WVU...and he seems like a good dude so I hope things work out for him (not at any expense of ISU's however)! But...he is not the only candidate that Iowa would attract and desire...it is a Big10 gig...they will get their pick of coaches. Sure they aren't stealing Danny Hurley away but if they wanted a successful and current HC...they could hire one...they have the money! What would be great though...is if they hire a mid-major guy and he struggles. That said...I just don't see Fran leaving without Iowa giving him a HUGE check!

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Devries might be a great hire for WVU...and he seems like a good dude so I hope things work out for him (not at any expense of ISU's however)! But...he is not the only candidate that Iowa would attract and desire...it is a Big10 gig...they will get their pick of coaches. Sure they aren't stealing Danny Hurley away but if they wanted a successful and current HC...they could hire one...they have the money! What would be great though...is if they hire a mid-major guy and he struggles. That said...I just don't see Fran leaving without Iowa giving him a HUGE check!
Why wouldn't Hurley come?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Is Iowa just the reverse of Creighton and Gonzaga? Who cares about MBB? They don't make them money, put all the donor attention to football since that's the only thing that matters to the Big 2 conferences. If they strike lightning once in a while with a good hire and have a couple good basketball seasons that's just gravy. Otherwise who cares.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Is Iowa just the reverse of Creighton and Gonzaga? Who cares about MBB? They don't make them money, put all the donor attention to football since that's the only thing that matters to the Big 2 conferences. If they strike lightning once in a while with a good hire and have a couple good basketball seasons that's just gravy. Otherwise who cares.
Agree. That fanbase attaches their self-worth to whatever the football team is doing. Although the future of that program may get upended as they won’t be able to squeak out those 10-9 thrillers against BIG west division opponents. A few years of losing seasons with a lame duck aging coach and no bowl games will cause some serious diarrhea over there. Gonna be fun to watch.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So with Patrick in the portal does that mean that Fran may actually move on?

If true how close C. Clark and his son are.....I would think any announcement on that won't be made until the Iowa women are finished with their season as to not take away attention.

And while everyone is saying he won't because of the money he will be forfeiting.....he doesn't need that money. Who knows, there might even be an under the table severance package ready to go. He won't walk away empty handed.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Wait??!! Iowa has a men's basketball team too? I have heard countless stories about their women's team. I didn't realize they had a men's team. Probably forced to due to Title IX.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron