Formula One starts this weekend, am I the only fan?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think you are right on this. I'm still surprised Hamilton didn't take more crap for the Silverstone incident. I hear a lot of people, even so called "Experts" call that a racing incident. Which is fine, but I would ask them, if the roles were reversed and it was Max in Hamilton's spot and Hamilton in Max's, would everyone just pass it off as a racing incident or would all the "Mad Max" talk start again? I have a feeling if that was Max in Hamilton's spot, there would have been a lot more negativity about it, just because he is looked at as a crazy driver.

With what you say though, I agree that was a turning point for Max. You can only poke the bear so much before they wake up. Max has certainly made his share of "Mad" moves this year, but for all of Hamilton's whining about them, he was never pushed off into a wall at 180 MPH. Max has tended to make those crazy moves in a spot where Hamilton has an escape.

Hamilton clearly gets the elder statesman treatment where nobody questions him, whether it be something like that incident or him complaining about rulings. Ultimately it does kind of become like LeBron complaining about calls. You've gotten all the calls for 15 years, and if you just don't happen to get one at one time and you're mad about it most of the sport gives a collective shrug and moves on.

Reactions: Clonefan94

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hamilton clearly gets the elder statesman treatment where nobody questions him, whether it be something like that incident or him complaining about rulings. Ultimately it does kind of become like LeBron complaining about calls. You've gotten all the calls for 15 years, and if you just don't happen to get one at one time and you're mad about it most of the sport gives a collective shrug and moves on.

Agreed, also, you had two opportunities to pit for new tires and you chose to stay out and play the prevent defense and you got burned on the Hail Mary on the 4th down with 0:01 on the clock.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The thing they need to outlaw is teams lobbying the race director during the race for calls to go their way. No team should be able to interfere in that way, if the race director wants to talk to the team that's fine, but the team shouldn't get to hound the race director to rule a certain way.

It should be assumed that everything is being looked at, and if you have issues you bring it up after the race.

• Agree
Reactions: tre

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The thing they need to outlaw is teams lobbying the race director during the race for calls to go their way. No team should be able to interfere in that way, if the race director wants to talk to the team that's fine, but the team shouldn't get to hound the race director to rule a certain way.

It should be assumed that everything is being looked at, and if you have issues you bring it up after the race.

It sounds like that’s probably happening.

Reactions: tre

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I wonder if they’re going to revisit some red flag policies too. Heard a few teams complain about that this year.

I really don’t understand the idea of being able to change tires on a red flag. Most other major series don’t allow you to even touch the car under a red flag. I’m also not a fan of the standing start after a red flag either. Seems to somewhat diminish the work you put in to get track position. I think a standing start should be reserved for the start of the race only.

I also find it a bit strange how strict the FIA is on granting Grade 1 status, but they have tracks where a simple stalled car requires a red flag to be able to clear it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy83ag and tre

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Is there a way to watch F1 without ESPN? I really don’t wanna carry ESPN through the summer just for the F1 races. Can people in the US subscribe to Sky Sports directly?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I like that scheme, but the number could use a black outline to separate the blue from the orange and make it stand out.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Well, I know it isn’t this year or next, but since this seems to be the main F1 thread, Amdtretti has applied to the FIA for entry into F1 for 2024 with his own team. Speculation is he already has Renault as the engine supplier. With two US races now, it will be interesting to see if the FIA wouldn’t find value in a true US team, since he would probably be bringing Herta to drive.

Reactions: ISUKyro

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well, I know it isn’t this year or next, but since this seems to be the main F1 thread, Amdtretti has applied to the FIA for entry into F1 for 2024 with his own team. Speculation is he already has Renault as the engine supplier. With two US races now, it will be interesting to see if the FIA wouldn’t find value in a true US team, since he would probably be bringing Herta to drive.

That's a expensive step up isn't it?

Help Support Us

Become a patron