Former UNI guard Nate Heise taking visit to Ames Monday (committed)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hadley is said to be a natural 4 that can play the 3 so Heise and his minutes aren't related.

As of now we have Jackson and Rock at the 5. Would feel a lot better if we added a 3rd (kyle). Watson and for now Momcilovic available at the 4. Could definitely use 2 guys that can log minutes here (Hadley and again Kyle). Definitely need bodies to fill minutes. Hadley needed at the 4 is what IMO makes their minutes unrelated.
Hadley isn’t a natural 4. He can play some 4 though

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Don’t know why we get so caught up on the archaic positions of 1,2 3,4,5. TJ and staff will simply put out lineups that can defend, score and rebound well enough. Might be 1,1,3,3,4. Might be 1,3,3,5,5… ect.
Because it's so much fun to spout off comments like "we could really use another 4" and "maybe you can look at him as a 2/3 combo" rather than "hey he looks really good." Join the fun!!:p

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Because it's so much fun to spout off comments like "we could really use another 4" and "maybe you can look at him as a 2/3 combo" rather than "hey he looks really good." Join the fun!!:p

Welcome Nate! Excited that you chose the Cyclones!

Welcome Nate! Excited that you chose the Cyclones!
I watched a lot of UNI bball this winter. Y'all are gonna like Heise. He was UNI best defender. He will make 40% of his corner 3 attemps he can drive the baseline and finish. And he is a good rebounder for a 6' 5' white boy. Enjoy !

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I watched a lot of UNI bball this winter. Y'all are gonna like Heise. He was UNI best defender. He will make 40% of his corner 3 attemps he can drive the baseline and finish. And he is a good rebounder for a 6' 5' white boy. Enjoy !
Agreed on the defense and corner 3s. From his film, I'm not confident he'll be able to get the drives and finishes. From watching Gilbert and Curtis this last year (and Gabe/Holmes the year before) you aren't going to get the kind of finishes he got in the Big XII. You have to either finish through contact or have a floater.

Which is okay - his role will very much be a "3 and D" wing off the bench.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Agreed on the defense and corner 3s. From his film, I'm not confident he'll be able to get the drives and finishes. From watching Gilbert and Curtis this last year (and Gabe/Holmes the year before) you aren't going to get the kind of finishes he got in the Big XII. You have to either finish through contact or have a floater.

Which is okay - his role will very much be a "3 and D" wing off the bench.
I think people underestimate how important being able to find/hunt open space as a shooter is, too. I see some of that with Heise, and really only CuJo was able to bring that a lot of the time this year.

I'm with you that I'm not expecting him to be dribble driving a whole lot, but I think he'll add some more ability to just get open looks from deep which was definitely needed at times this year.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
He has both a covid and a med RS.
Are you saying the 2025 - 2026 basketball season is going to have players with their covid year available? I'm not mad about Heise... but good lord!! I realize this is medical related. I had though the 2024 - 2025 season was the last (which it will be for most I guess).

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I think people underestimate how important being able to find/hunt open space as a shooter is, too. I see some of that with Heise, and really only CuJo was able to bring that a lot of the time this year.

I'm with you that I'm not expecting him to be dribble driving a whole lot, but I think he'll add some more ability to just get open looks from deep which was definitely needed at times this year.
It definitely looks like he's a good cutter and can find his spots when moving without the ball

Seems pretty good in transition too - looking forward to Tamin feeding him for easy layups/dunks/3's after a steal

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Are you saying the 2025 - 2026 basketball season is going to have players with their covid year available? I'm not mad about Heise... but good lord!! I realize this is medical related. I had though the 2024 - 2025 season was the last (which it will be for most I guess).
2020-21 is the Covid year. Eligibility wise it didn't happen. Other than that everything is back to normal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron